Manitou 4 way swinger shocks

Realfastbikes

Likes Bikes
I have had alot of trouble with these shocks on my customers bikes, such as to much compression, fast rebound when wound slow, has any body had any problems?

Tim

Likes Dirt
Yeah all swingers, all Manitou for that fact, work very very well when they work. But they reguly have issues. If you need somone in the Sydney area to work on Swingers for you P.M me i have a mate that can fix and service them. He dfoes them for several shops around Sydney area.

Tim

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What type of probs have they been getting.
I havent had any probs with mine......so far.
I did notice that when I got it out of the shop the pressure was very low
at 50 psi i cranked this up to 100psi ( im 65kg ) and it fells fairly good
I havent had a proper chance to test it on any DH runs
also have the rebound approx 5 turns out from the slowest setting.

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
ive had mine for a bit under an year and never had a problem, the so smooth and everything works fine. spv works a treat and u can really notice it.

Tim

Likes Dirt
the main problem i had was the SPV valve stuffing up and me getting no rebound control. Both were pretty easy fixes for my mate.

Tim

Tim

Likes Dirt
it depends on whats wrong with it, but it will be cheaper than sending it to Manitou. He can be foudn at either StIves Cycles in StIves or LifeCycles in Penrith. Ask for Linden

Tim

Harder Nox

Likes Dirt
How much is one of these shocks?? I'm lookin at getting one for my C'dale gemini to replace my 02 fox vannila rc which i've blown out once

Barrett

Likes Dirt
I have a 6 way in my demo and it sh#ts me. oil leaks out of the high speed compretion damping, i had it fix and it was great for a few mounths then it started leaking again.$200 a time. I will never buy manitou again.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 6 way in my demo and it sh#ts me. oil leaks out of the high speed compretion damping, i had it fix and it was great for a few mounths then it started leaking again.$200 a time. I will never buy manitou again.
I could go with the obligatory "Gravedig" comment but I think this topic is still kind of relevant. A lot of people still use this type of shock, so I will suggest a few simple tricks to keep you out of trouble.

Firstly, I find that most problems people have with the Swinger/5th element series stem from innapropriate SPV pressure. Although The minimum is 50 PSI (5th) and 75 PSI (swinger) you really should use about 10-15 psi above the minimum, as there is a good chance a little pressure will escape when unscrewing your pump.

Secondly, the adjuster screws on the 6-way series are BLOODY touchy. They strip out really easy, and seem so dang fragile. Be super carefull when adjusting them, and when you feel them reach the end of their travel (the compression screw that is) its best to back the screw off about 1/2 a turn just to be safe (if the setting you want is either full on/full off).

Thirdly, everyone should check out the Manitou site, and learn how to rebuild their swingers/5ths. Its really pretty simple, will save you a hell of a lot of dosh, and you won't be without your shock for very long, as you won't need to send it off. If you're not confident about doing this, I suggest having a crack at it anyway, as you can always send the shock off to a service centre in little peices if you can't refill it properly (provided you haven't dfamaged anything in the process)