• Manitou Dorado

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Tripple Clamps

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

meelen dh

Likes Dirt
This has been on my mind for a while now and i was wondering....
What are the disadvantages and advantages of Dorados campared to normal tripple clamps. Do they work better? Or worse? And what would you get?

Dorado

Usual Tripple Clamps

meelen dh

Likes Dirt
I made a new thread for this bacause the pole wasnt working in the other one:( sorry for doing this mods and admins.

big geoff

Likes Dirt
so because dorados are inverted you don't have the lowers joined together with a connecting arch so you have to rely on just the axle for stiffness. a good way to see this is to get a bike with a pair of up side down forks and one with conventionals and park the front wheel in something solid. now try and turn the bars and you will feel the dorados flexing like mother bitches where as you conventionals will be stiff as a penguin turd. get some 40's and you will never look back!

J

JaRedy

My experience of the 04 SPV was pretty much ARRRRRRGH!
But hey thats probs cause the cartrige is pucked...in 2 weeks
Seals leaked...in 2 weeks
And the bushings were rock solid.
And the flex is incredible...sooo much flex it makes you want to cry.

Probably the fork with the highest maintence needed out there....maybe?

Alot of people say that they like some of the other 03/04 models...but they are not my cup of cake after my experience.
I'm sure the new ones are lovley(er):)
Are you thinking of buying them 2nd hand? Or are you just expanding your brain capacity knowledge thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

big geoff

Likes Dirt
oh and the positives about dorados are that because they are inverted there is less weight moving up and down in the form of heavy magnesium lowers so there is a small and probably only theoretical increase in suspension reaction and performance. less weight moving up and down meens that is can do it quicker but funk! they are not stiff and they are manatou so they are destined to become sticky leaky and saggy in a matter of weeks.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lowers weigh next to nothing though and lowers dont really go up and down anyway the stanchions slide up and down in the lowers

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
oh and the positives about dorados are that because they are inverted there is less weight moving up and down in the form of heavy magnesium lowers so there is a small and probably only theoretical increase in suspension reaction and performance. less weight moving up and down meens that is can do it quicker but funk! they are not stiff and they are manatou so they are destined to become sticky leaky and saggy in a matter of weeks.
The unsprung stuff generally isn't true for MTB forks, because, the stanchions are probably heavier anyway, and the internals if in the stanchions will add all that weight back. So it might be a reason on motos as to why they went inverted, but mag lowers are stupid light, and not all forks have the internals in the same format.
The possitives for inverted(although I can't see how for diradoes)is ease and cost of manufacture, as there's no cast lowers(Manitou missed this class), more fork overlap(the stanchions can be longer, due to the extra space in the legs, and the bushes can be further apart, making them stiffer), the seals stay lubed as it's easier for the oil to get to them, Overall hight can be lower than conventional forks of the same travel., there's more space to fit internal parts.

Last edited:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One other disadvantage is how easy it is to scratch the staunchions. Take a look at your lowers and then compare that to your staunchions. Now imagine swapping that around.........Although you do have a staunchion protector, rocks and shit flicked up from the front wheel can scratch them. Also another point is that dust flicked up from the front wheel goes and sits straight onto your seals. If the seals are moist then it can be a bit of a problem.

Although there are alot of disadvantages, it seems advantages outweigh them: Alot of Moto's run them. Frankly I like the idea...........Karpiel disco volante with Risse big foots FTW!