manitou stance= crap!!!!

tim2

Likes Bikes
i had stance for a while, they're ok except for very little small bump sensitivity, i upgraded to travis and they're much better all round but hey you get what you pay for.

Plow King

Little bit.
Thanks for the info ;)

Stance are the most horible feeling weak ass forks I have ever ridden and seen.

That is all...

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have put off getting mine serviced for ages cause they barley work at all. I rode on them down at Thredbo last weekend and my hands absolutly killed after a few runs. I took them down to RawNRG and they just laughed at me, he said if he fixed them they would be sweet for one run but after that back to normal.

Nebuchernezzer

Likes Dirt
A touch OT but how do the Shermans compare to the Stances?
The Stances always looked like Shermans minus the Compression damping to me.
Or is it a whole different kettle of fish.

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
A touch OT but how do the Shermans compare to the Stances?
The Stances always looked like Shermans minus the Compression damping to me.
Or is it a whole different kettle of fish.
can't compare them at all. manutfactured in a different factory, parts, etc.....

in regard to the stances, you get what you pay for. you can't expect stellar performance from something that is so cheap, it just doesn't happen. i agree with a previous comment about the way they were marketed. manitou should be flamed for that.

i too have used just about every fork brand out there (even Risse and Hanebrink) and I can say without a doubt that the Travis's are the shizzle. so to bag Manitou as a brand over one line of cheap ass forks is a no no. spending a few dollars more on something quality at the start will prevent a whole lot of heartache and 'hand in pocket' syndrome.

Nebuchernezzer

Likes Dirt
can't compare them at all. manutfactured in a different factory, parts, etc.....
Fair enough.
Looking at them visually and at their basic design they look like they could share a few components with the shermans just getting some extra features.
But if not then all good :).

AngoXC

Wheel size expert

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
The majority of the views expressed in this thread are from people who didn't know manitou before the 2004/2005 Nitride coated stanchions and SPV Doritos. I think the stanchions with their lubing system is whats mainly to blame for the Stance and other models stiction problems. I'm by know means a fork expert but any sign of dust or wet and a Stance will seize up in one 2 minute run.

Ive owned Blacks for maybe 2 years now and not once have they ever had a problem. They dont seize up and are still as plush as the day I got them, no seal problems or anything (same damping system as the stance). I think this is due to having good stanchions.

All the problems people have are from low end forks like the stance. Remember the Marzocchi cryofit problems from 01/02? All companies have had some bad models and don't necessarily deserve a complete bagging of their product range.
Dont think I've ever heard a more reasonable reply to a flaming thread ,well done JJperko.
I've had blacks for 2 years and had no problems with them.
cheers jon

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
i've got a pair of the 05 stance's on my gary fisher and my parents wont let me invest in a new pair of gold labels or pikes until these break. ive been doin xc and trail, dh and street on them and they dont wanna seem to break. they seize up and they suck ass but they're not snapping.

how have all of yours broken?

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
i have to say.. all my mates who have had ... well they still do have manitou products.. (only because they cant afford new forks).

the seal quality seems to be laggying behind with all the other companies..

example.

Friend - jamis dakar. 04-05 model manitou minutes the rebound knob on the bottom started to leak. it took him a while to finally get it fix( dumbass) aparently he had next to no fluid left in them when they opened it..
not long after say 2 weeks leaking again..

another friend- norco sasquatch - manitou stances... yea they just suck.. soo stiff.. no idea how he rode the cannonball run with them.. ( my rst forks were better ) leaky leaky... and sanctions just fade away to silver.

another friend- scott scale manitou blacks.... something happened... rebound knob does nothing.. lock out i think still works... plush i guess i think its also leaking... he needs to get them serviced.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Apparently the broken/leaking rebound knob in the Minutes is is quite common due to plastic internals...or something.

angrygecko

Likes Bikes
I have been riding stance kingpins for about 7 to 8 months now and I have only had one problem with the valve not holding air pressure in the fork - they got a coil conversion and havent had a problem since!! I think they arent too bad for the money - considering you can pick some up for around 100 bucks...

ando_freeagent

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have some manitou stance static 100mm very shit bottom off anything i let dad have a play with mine and he stuffed around with the internals and said "hey lets make them 120mm" and im like if u stuff em i get new forks and your paying im sitting there grinning and deciding what forks to get knowing there gonna screw up cause there stances and surprisingly they have turned out all right i dunno what dad has done but they bottom at 120mm but there stances so they are still crap but hoping they will break soon

'Ross

Eats Squid
i have some manitou stance static 100mm very shit bottom off anything i let dad have a play with mine and he stuffed around with the internals and said "hey lets make them 120mm" and im like if u stuff em i get new forks and your paying im sitting there grinning and deciding what forks to get knowing there gonna screw up cause there stances and surprisingly they have turned out all right i dunno what dad has done but they bottom at 120mm but there stances so they are still crap but hoping they will break soon

You should too.;)

chelsea_fan7

Likes Dirt
has there been any issues with the gold label manitou forks series? I have heard of one person's on the forum snapping at the axle and my mate has some that cracked in the wheel arch...
is there any other re-occuring issues people may have had with them like oil leeks and blowing seals or anything?

shiznik

Banned
thats generally what youget from the bottom of the line unfortunately.
DO NOT EVER BUY STANCE!
Fork (haha, play on words....:)o)) out extra and get something decent and well known ey.

kjf

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats generally what youget from the bottom of the line unfortunately.
DO NOT EVER BUY STANCE!
Fork (haha, play on words....:)o)) out extra and get something decent and well known ey.
They are well known, just for all the wrong reasons:rolleyes:

Last edited:

dj_14

Likes Dirt
shocking

yep they are shocking forks, i have a pair and the steerer drop out of the bottom when i was taking them off. kick in the guts lol