Mark Webber injured mtbing

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Hope he's not too bad. Thankfully, the X-trail driver who hit him is not injured according to the report. :rolleyes:

Should have stuck to a safe sport like F1.

AUSTRALIAN Formula One driver Mark Webber has been seriously injured in a road accident while competing in his charity adventure sport challenge in Tasmania.

Webber, who drives for Formula One's Red Bull team, was cycling along a road near Port Arthur, on the Tasman peninsula, when he collided with a Nissan X-Trail car and was knocked off his bike on Saturday.

The 32-year-old was competing in his own charity event, the Mark Webber Pure Tasmania Challenge, a 250km event using mountain bikes, kayaks and trekking, when the accident happened, around 12.40pm (AEDT).

Event director Geoff Donohue said he could not confirm "speculative reports" that Webber had suffered multiple arm and leg fractures until doctors had had a chance to properly diagnose the sports star.

"It would appear he's suffered a fractured leg but until doctors confirm the extent of Mark's injuries, we won't know for sure - it's still early days," Mr Donohue told AAP.

"Mark's in good spirits. Paramedics attached to the event attended to Mark very swiftly and he's had really good treatment at the scene before being transferred to hospital.

"It was a really unfortunate accident."

Mr Donohue said it was far too early to say whether the accident would impact on Webber's pre-season training for the 2009 Formula One racing season.

"That's jumping ahead a bit. He would certainly have other ideas about that. Right now, it's a wait and see situation," Mr Donohue said.

"If any positives come out of this, you'd fully expect him (Webber) to be ready and willing, not only for his pre-season requirements with Red Bull Racing but also for the Formula One season proper."

A Tasmania Police spokesman said Fortesque Bay Road, on which the accident happened, was a public route but added he did not know if the section was cordoned off for the event.

"The event is raced in a few stages and this part where the accident happened was the cycling stage," Sergeant Jon Ford told AAP.

"As a result of the collision, the rider Mark Webber suffered serious but non-life threatening injuries. He was attended at the scene by paramedics attached to the event before being airlifted to the Royal Hobart Hospital."

The male driver of the Nissan X-trail escaped injury, he added.

Webber was competing on the penultimate day of the five-day challenge, which also includes abseiling and whitewater rafting.

emcgough

Likes Dirt
^^^ Typical Farkin "anti-car-driver" attitude shown above there. I didn't read any parts of the article that said it was the driver's fault, so how about shutting your mouth until you actually know some facts.

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
geez guys... im a big fan of mark webber... i have suported him since f1... and i do drive... i have 2 cars so im not an anti car person... cars is my second love... its nothing about me being a tool... calm down anyways i hope he will be back on the bike after 6 weeks of R&R

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Police are saying it's a real accident - nobody's fault in particular, just bad conditions, poor visibility, unlucky timing and two vehicles in the same place a the same time, heading different ways.
I'm a supporter of Mark's, from before he made it into F1.
If anyone's not going to let this kind of thing stop him, it'll be Webber.
He'll work around whatever it is and be back in the car.
He kept driving while suffering 3rd degree burns in the car, once.
He's a tough cookie.
Get well soon, Mark.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Is it me or was the brand and model of the car mentioned just a little too much in that story?

I wonder if they were sponsors of the event...

:cool:

Edit: quick check reveals that they aren't but something still smells fishy to me...

nedls1234

Likes Dirt
how good is this. my dad was the one who operated on mark webbers leg after the accident and as a gift for fixing it so fast hes giving us 2 giant dualy XC bikes YAY!!!! me and my sister get bikes ridding by MARK WEBBER!!!

im stocked!!! but sucks for him

sam705

Likes Dirt
I doubt they would be "ridding" by the man himself.
Probably new bikes he is purchasing/ got given, to use as a gift.

I demand pictures.

I doubt they would be "ridding" by the man himself.
Probably new bikes he is purchasing/ got given, to use as a gift.
The bikes that they use for the event are brand new and are then sold afterwards at a reduced price, I would assume that these would be the bikes he is giving away. So it is quite possible that Mark rode one of them.

I remember a couple of years ago being offered one of the Stumpjumpers they were using at the time and part of the sales pitch was who had ridden it in the race, can't remember who it was though, some Olympic athelete I think.

And no, I didn't buy it.

'Ross

Eats Squid
I would say 'he should stick to what hes good at' but he is absolutely no good at formula1...maybe he should just keep riding bikes.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would say 'he should stick to what hes good at' but he is absolutely no good at formula1...maybe he should just keep riding bikes.
Ross, may you be forgiven...! :D
All those who think Webber is 'no good' because he hasn't won or he doesn't finish doesn't have a clue about how F1 works, or Webber himself.
Pity the Oz media has lent a hand to this myth and that's where most people get their info. In the world of F1, where it matters, he's very, very highly regarded, with good reason. He's not been in F1 by accident, and he certainly didn't buy his way in (as is the norm, even with the fabled Schumacher).
Somehow, I don't think this injury will even slow him down, and according to reports, he was already planning his rehab program before the op. That's the type of dedication he has.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Can't say I know anything about F1 but all I hear is 'Mark Webber crashed out again' 'Mark Webber finished 2nd last' 'Mark Webbers car broke again' 'Mark Webber started 4th but finished 108th' BUT 'HES SSOOOOOO GOOD says the news' I think the media should just ignore him until he wins some races.