marzocchi bombers

castlo

Likes Dirt
hey guys and girls

i got a few questions, i have a set of 07 marzocchi drop off's, just the entry level stuff, i got the gooseneck off and the spacers and everything, then i got to what i think is a ball bearing set for the pivot, im not too sure, i want to get this set off and put a set of 888 RC2X-VA's the 07' ones on, what do i need to keep for the new set and how do i get it off? i have pics if you need them

so yeah any help is appreciated =]]

cheers guys and girls castlo out:confused:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Kay, listen up.

Before we begin, have you checked the steerer size of each fork (ie, the single tube the extendes into the frame). It needs to be similar in length, to the Drop Off...

Asside from the forks, youll need to keep everything from the headset. It consists of 2 cups (these will be pressed into the frame), two bearing races, a top cap (this sits on your stem) and a crown race. There will also be a top cup as well as a small little wedge ring, that forces everything into place. The crown race is a small ring that sits flush on the crown of your forks, at the very base of the steerer tube.

Your going to need to remove the crown race and put it on your new fork. To do this, get a small-ish screw driver and try and pry the crown race off the steerer tube. Be careful and work at it from a few angles. With luck, the fork has a few notches you can use as a basis to pry it off.

Once you have this removed, your going to need to press it onto the steerer/crown of your new fork. I find the appropriate sized PVC pipe can do wonders here.

Once thats done, slip a bearing race onto the crown race, and insert it back into the headtube of the frame. The flat side of the race always faces out when its in the cup.

Place the upper bearing race into the upper cup, followed by the wedge ring, and then finally your top cup.

Next, drop in the appropriate amount of spacers onto the steerer, as well as your stem. You should have a few mm of space between the top of your steerer, and the small lip beneath the top of the stem. This allows for the steerer to be pulled up into the headset, thus, preloading the bearings.

Fit your top cap and tighten such that you have no play in the bearings. It might be necessary to holf your front brake and rock the bike back and forth to check this. Feel around the gap between the headset and your stem/spacers, as well as down below, where the crown meets the headtube.

Once your satisfied that there is no play, and that you can rotate your bars without restriction, tighten the clamp bolts on your stem.

If none of this made sense, browse some topics here.

Best of luck mate!

castlo

Likes Dirt
thankx mate

hey mate

thankx a million dad and i are workin on it maybe not this friday the one after :):D its a direct mount bar system on the 888's so is there anything desperate i need to know about pulling it all up, my mate is gonna run me through it over he phone if i get into dramas but what you said i can follow, hell i got a structural and civil engineer for a dad and im top 10% of aus for my age group, lol if we cant do it there's gonna be something wrong aye lol

so yeah

i'll tell you how it goes and pics after im done, the steerer is gonna ceom too long so i need to cut it down to length, theres some metal plate that wedged in the steerer tube of my current ones do i need that out of there?

wb man

Jimass

Eats Squid
You'll also need to make sure you bars have the same clamp dia. as the direct mount does. I.E 30.00mm but there big bars... \

If you have a enough steerer tube you can run your old stem if you like....

castlo

Likes Dirt
yeah i was wondering that, i just talked to dad and he said we know the majority of what we're doing now lol just workin on it ordering on friday :D:cool: and these are the ones im getting here

:D

so i dont think i should have too much drama workin it, do i need to keep the star shaped piece in the steerer tube of my current ones that top cap pulls into? or do i just buy a new one?

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Oh...that changes it somewhat. (I thought I read 66 RC2Xs...:eek:)

Star nuts should usually come with the fork. If its not there on the new fork, get your bike shop to install one for you. Shouldnt cost much at all.

Essentially, it is the same process with the headset, preloading the bearings and what not but you just have to account for the upper crown, thats all.

Direct mount stems still have a top cap...ultimately, like the stem clamp on a standard set up, the upper crown clamp will keep everything sitting in order.

If you want a bit more reading, have a look at the fork-specific manual. This will have a more concise method of installing dual crown forks onto your bike.