Marzocchi Prototype Suspension Exclusive

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Inverted forks are the way forward.

Hopefully RS will put something out soon, wouldn't doubt if its in the works.

Fox are mad not too.

I'd buy some shivers if they come back out.
Marz is good once again.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Much like Pull Shocks?
Tried and no dice.

BTW I used to run WB UD 150s and they were great.
I've still got some. Going to keep using them too,. Great fork, light and fairly smooth, but they do flex A LOT and twist in crashes.
But that's mostly due to the tiny single bolt crowns and the wider axle.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Much like Pull Shocks?
Tried and no dice.

BTW I used to run WB UD 150s and they were great.
not like pull shocks at all.

Look at the motobike industry, there is a good reason as to why all high class motocross/enduro bikes, (most relevant to downhill) have inverted forks.

Moto suspension is so much better than DH stuff.

As for the flex issue, manitou have got the right idea utilising a hex axle, so that it cant twist in the fork.

Last edited:

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As for the flex issue, manitou have got the right idea utilising a hex axle, so that it cant twist in the fork.
I reckon their hex axle could do with some work. It needs a little shoulder one the end, so the axle is actually clamped from both sides, and not relying on the pinch bolts so heavily.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Care to share the reason?
Less unsprung weight.
Meaning less weight has to move when the wheel is deflected off a bump.

I reckon their hex axle could do with some work. It needs a little shoulder one the end, so the axle is actually clamped from both sides, and not relying on the pinch bolts so heavily.
Yeah, thats their only downside. But manitou are always trying to do something different, hex axle, reverse arch, dorados

aanon

Likes Dirt
not like pull shocks at all.

Look at the motobike industry, there is a good reason as to why all high class motocross/enduro bikes, (most relevant to downhill) have inverted forks.

Moto suspension is so much better than DH stuff.

Marketing, that is the reason the moto industry decided it is needed.
You have a thin wall upper section that flexes and the bushes for the lower section have slide through this area, that is not ideal.Most users will also over tighten the clamps (it is true) and that also will cause binding. Combined with the inability to not be able to have a brace means that they are............ not as good as rwu forks.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Marketing, that is the reason the moto industry decided it is needed.
You have a thin wall upper section that flexes and the bushes for the lower section have slide through this area, that is not ideal.Most users will also over tighten the clamps (it is true) and that also will cause binding. Combined with the inability to not be able to have a brace means that they are............ not as good as rwu forks.
Highly doubt, that top level race teams would use something not as good.

If Stewart, Reed etc used RWU forks, then every little kid would still jump on that bandwagon. Marketing will work either way for the brand thats winning the races.

Besides, RWU moto forks most often dont have an arch, so the flex will be similar. And, inverted moto forks by no means feel flexy.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
And, inverted moto forks by no means feel flexy.
Yeah, but they are more than twice the weight of a MTB fork ( 7.8kg marz shiver 53mm stachions etc) you try and cut 4kgs off and build a fork that will be "stiff" like a moto fork whilst giving you everything you get from your current boxxer/fox 40 etc.

how much of a weight penalty are you willing to run in order to run a USD fork over a conventional setup?

used a 35mm axle, 40mm stachions, aluminium uppers, crown and steerer, a travel adjust option and still wasn't considered "stiff" enough.

axle mounting:
http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/phot...otter_507/X-Fusion_Delta_8_dropout_detail.jpg

http://cdn1.media.cyclingnews.futur...ea_otter_507/X-Fusion_Delta_8_PlusHub_600.jpg

Last edited:

Daisy69

Likes Bikes
All forks flex, otherwise they would snap after a short period of time. Yer too much will do the same but is be interested to see that a shit load of carbon will do.