marzocchi super monster

0psi

Eats Squid
Super monsters were pretty much a moto fork adapted to fit a pushie, I'll try to track down a Marzocchi marketing blurb, pretty much reads, "Now you can have moto forks on your bicycle!". Lets not forget Marz's roots are in motocross.

castlo

Likes Dirt
too true opsi, as they are based in moto, im surprised they are running 40mm stanchions on the 888's like the fox 40's, maybe they found out that running slightly thicker walls in the 38mm was stronger. feel free to correct me anyone..

0psi

Eats Squid
im surprised they are running 40mm stanchions on the 888's like the fox 40's, maybe they found out that running slightly thicker walls in the 38mm was stronger. feel free to correct me anyone..
Jury is out on this one. Rock Shox went with 36mm Stantions because they felt it gave the 'right' amount of stiffness, coupled with good weight. There is a thing as too much stiffness, anyone that spent time on the early Fox 40's will tell you that. They had a tendency to be a little harsh, once the dampers got sorted they worked (and still do) sweet.

I dare say it's because Marzocchi believe it's the right mix of Stiffness, Compliance and Weight.

castlo

Likes Dirt
it was ment to be they arnt in my post above but yeah i rekon thats it, and no the only ones i've had at the 2008 888 rc3's with do feel sticky at the start and end stroke.i got them early 09 and have been riden on and off for about 6 months till i had an accident then i was out for like 8 months, thinking of going to the new 40's as an upgrade :)

floody

Wheel size expert
I still think they could have built an amazing fork if they stuck with the 40mm chassis.

200mm '11 888 RC3 EVO Ti - 2990g
170mm '99-02 Monster -4.4kg ; but consider that it carried about 1kg of fork oil and two big moto style steel springs, two full length open bath rebound dampers, 3 piece lowers...

They could have easily slimmed down the springing, damping and came up with 40 style lowers and had something stiffer, smoother and better IMHO than the 888.

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Gravedigging this shit. This thread has awesome videos and photos that EVERYONE should see

And what if you were to put modern internals into a Super Monster to save weight? I think I am onto something...

moorey

call me Mia
Gravedigging this shit. This thread has awesome videos and photos that EVERYONE should see

And what if you were to put modern internals into a Super Monster to save weight? I think I am onto something...
Should balance the trance out nicely. :smash:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Don't you know the davinci code when you see it? Dave weagle is gonna be pissed his patented design calculations are now all over the web!

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Hahaha nope..Enigma. if you brainstorm long enough you might figure it out.

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk