Matchmakers

Blitz

Likes Bikes
hey,

trying to reduce the clutter on my bar. which matchmakers work with the deore shifter and XT brakes?

stirk

Burner
Shimano shifter to shimano brake = i-Spec

I'm usually wrong.... but I thought matchmakers were to join different brand shifter and brakes like shimano to SRAM or Avid

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

I'm usually wrong.... but I thought matchmakers were to join different brand shifter and brakes like shimano to SRAM or Avid
Correct.

You need ispec covers for your shifters , usually about $50 a pair. Just make sure you get type I

All you need to know
http://www.bikeradar.com/au/mtb/gear/article/shimano-i-spec-a-b-and-ii-mounts-explained-44410/
Plus a whole lot more on ispecII which is the brand new model of brake that has changed.

Edit - just to add, the first bit is correct ie ispec is what you are interested in. Matchmaker is SRAM , problem solvers make mismatchmakers which is usually for SRAM shifter to shimano brakes ( no one really want SRAM brakes with shimano shifters)

Firkin complicated world unfortunately

Last edited:

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Yep, you are wrong. Matchmaker is avid / sram compatibility only.
Problem solvers make mismatch adapters that will allow you use sram / shimano combinations.
Shimano, well, they are shimano. they'll do whatever the f^&k they want...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Not sure if there's an I-spec converter kit for the Deore shifters, so the easiest thing to do would be replace the shifters with an I-Spec-ready set.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yep, brake lever A- or B-type doesn't matter. I-Spec A was phased out during 2012, so anything made since then (disregarding the 11-sp-only I-Spec-II) is I-Spec B. Older A-type shifters can only fit to A-type brakes, but B-type shifters are backward compatible with A-type brakes (I'm using exactly that combination myself).

stirk

Burner
Yep, you are wrong. Matchmaker is avid / sram compatibility only.
Problem solvers make mismatch adapters that will allow you use sram / shimano combinations.
Shimano, well, they are shimano. they'll do whatever the f^&k they want...
To quote moorey, that's just nitpicking!

Are the Deore shift windows removeable?
With a hacksaw yes :heh:

The basic Deore M610, which I have, you would need to buy parts which would probably cost as much as a new non indicator shifter anyway so just use a sharpie and black it out if it bothers you.

i-spec seems to come with no window, bar mount does, according to CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/shimano-deore-m610-10-speed-trigger-shifter/rp-prod108790