Mavic 517 rims ?

monkeymagic

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats what i have been figuring out... but the guy at my bike shop was asking me what type of riding i do and stuff because we were trying tro figure out what i should get for my new rims and i said what about some hand made ones, can you make me a super strong wheels for like $250 and he said yeah and said it would be a 517 mavic rim on a steel ball bearing hub.... should i get this... or a Dice SMO with Deore disc hubs for $230

Chieftain

Likes Bikes
dont get 517s if u're gonna be specifically riding street or jumps or if u're on the heavy side(>80kgs). They're good XC rims and they can hold up to the occasional stairride and small jump(as should any good rim), but nothing more than that. if u're going Mavic, look at the 521s or 321s.

monkeymagic

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok thanks... i think i will go the dice... maybe i heard the guy wrong in the shop but i will talk to him again... well thanks anyway

Ty

Eats Squid
juzza said:
or deemax or 3.1
well considering you can't get a d3.1 in australia so we'll cancel that out, where are you getting deemaxs in Australia for $250 each?

G

why dont we just get the most expensive rims ever considering monkeymagic has an uber budget as shown by his
monkeymagic said:
can you make me a super strong wheels for like $250
why dont you suggest some decent wheels for his price :roll:

monkeymagic

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah... wel as said previously the best deal i have so far is $230 for a rear wheel that is DICE SMO with Deore disc hubs... so should i go with that or does anybody else have ideas?... i ride hard core urban assault with hucks to flat regular... skinnys, technical , stairs, basically everything in the city

wombat

Lives in a hole
Lets hear it for the Rhynos! Top rim in my opinion, but for the sort of riding you're doing you probably should skip the standard ones and go for the TCBs (XL). They're eyeletted and more importantly welded too, so should hold up a lot better to big impacts.

Having said that, I have no idea of price though, so they may not be appropriate; look into it though.

G

i have a ryno lite xl on the front of my xlr8 and its going strong after alot of abuse

wombat

Lives in a hole
Fuzzy said:
i have a ryno lite xl on the front of my xlr8 and its going strong after alot of abuse
Yep; I'm running standard's on mine without any issues, they are a mega tight build though, so it's going to take abit to budge them, but when they do it's gonna be in a big way! :?
My next set will probably be XL's, unless of course I find something I prefer, but that's a while away yet.

tj

Likes Dirt
the dice SMO and shimano deore hub are $400 for two or $230 for a rear rim and hub,$200 for a front rim and hub.thats what it says in the dirtworks catologue.are u buying 1 or 2 ?
:roll: i missed the last few posts :roll:

Jordy

RYD4LF
i had rhyno light xl's on my old bike and they held up ok but after 12 months of abuse they were showing it eg. buckled to the sh!t house

SMO's are a sick rim... stronger then all the other dice rims so far

Rik

logged out
If you're an abuser of wheels, an SMO on the rear is fantastic. I ride them on a few bikes, they're heavy and ugly, but damn they're strong. So many bodged moves doing urban stuff has made me smash these rims, but they still hold true. That said, I'm an abusive 87kg rider. If you're lighter, then maybe the Duke or Rhyno rims would be the way to go, but if you want a wheel that'll last, stick with SMO... just don't put one on the front!

monkeymagic

Likes Bikes and Dirt
tj said:
the dice SMO and shimano deore hub are $400 for two or $230 for a rear rim and hub,$200 for a front rim and hub.thats what it says in the dirtworks catologue.are u buying 1 or 2 ?
:roll: i missed the last few posts :roll:
yeah i would be getting just the rear... for 230... if i get it now... if not i will get 2 at x-mas... but i need a new one now so