Mavic 721 Tubeless Compatibility

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hello all

After doing a bit of reading I've received mixed opinions on the tubeless compatibility of Mavic 721 rims. Has anyone had any experience with running or attempting to run the 721 tubeless with some sort of rim strip? Don't really want to use the ghetto 20" tube method. The wheels are in good condition with 1 or 2 very small dings in each wheel. Up until now I've used 823's and have never had an issue.

If anyone did manage to set it up successfully, what rim strip did you use and did you have to use extra layers to build up the lip of the rim or just one? Would this work okay? Any other hints appreciated!

Cheers :high5:

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Done it before on my 721's.
All you need is some tubeless tyers and this
Instructions are in the kit and there should be you-tube videos available.

Last edited:

novomongoose

Likes Bikes
Hello all

After doing a bit of reading I've received mixed opinions on the tubeless compatibility of Mavic 721 rims. Has anyone had any experience with running or attempting to run the 721 tubeless with some sort of rim strip? Don't really want to use the ghetto 20" tube method. The wheels are in good condition with 1 or 2 very small dings in each wheel. Up until now I've used 823's and have never had an issue.

If anyone did manage to set it up successfully, what rim strip did you use and did you have to use extra layers to build up the lip of the rim or just one? Would this work okay? Any other hints appreciated!

Cheers :high5:

I have had great results with ghetto setups and conventional tyres, (Maxxis Larsens)with the 721s

ymmv

Rob(ert)

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I struggled with mine and eventually gave up. Couple of layers of rim strips with Maxxis tyres, High Rollers I think. I was using a servo pump but had the valve core in. I'm planning to try again one day, but I've certainly had less trouble with other rims. I reckon it's possible though.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I struggled with mine and eventually gave up. Couple of layers of rim strips with Maxxis tyres, High Rollers I think. I was using a servo pump but had the valve core in. I'm planning to try again one day, but I've certainly had less trouble with other rims. I reckon it's possible though.
Tried this method too, using a valve adapter. Pain in the ass, couldn't get it to work. Ended up asking LBS for their use of a proper presta high pressure pump.