Mavic 823 rim

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
hey guys im getting some mavic 823s soon and i was wondering should i get a presta valve or schrader valve?

cheers

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey guys im getting some mavic 823s soon and i was wondering should i get a presta valve or schrader valve?

cheers
Each to their own shannon.. Much of a muchness.. Shrder is easier (without adaptor) to fill up at the servo tho :)

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

cheers
You can't run a schrader tube with 823's, but they come with a presta tubless valve and a schrader adaptor.

spongebob

Likes Dirt
aussie - the hole is only big enough for a presta. A schrader won't fit. The rim should come with the Mavic 'freestanding' presta valve. Get UST tyres. You don't need a rimstrip or a 'tubeless kit' or anything to go tubeless as they are tubeless [ UST ] rims. Most folks would still put some latex/sealant in for added puncture resistance. If you really need to pump it up at a servo, then get a presta/schrader converter that allows you to attach a schrader pump head.

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
alright thanks heaps so even if im buying off CRC the rims will still come with the presta valve? also im getting some maxxis minion UST's so do i only need to buy some sealant?

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
alright thanks heaps for all the help.. sorry if i seemed like a bit of a twat.. first time buying off the net and running tubeless

NoogiE

Likes Dirt
All good mate - I just bought an 823 wheelset off CRC and had to do a bit of research to figure it all out. Glad to pass on some experience!

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
oh sweet as ^^^ hey just a quick question.. did you buy some new spokes for the rims and if so what spokes did u get..? because im thinking about getting some DT Swiss Competition Stainless DB Spokes Black 2mm-1.8mm Set of 36 & Nipples

NoogiE

Likes Dirt
Nah I got CRC to build the complete wheelset - but I went with brass prolock nipples and straight guage (non double butted) spokes

aussiemx

Likes Dirt
ahh fair enough.. sorry about all the questions aye but because u got CRC to build the wheel for u.. did u have to buy a new hub/s ?

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You don't need latex with UST tires. I wouldn't bother with UST tires, they are expensive.

The rims come with a schrader adapter that you can use to inflate your tires at a servo. Personally don't know how people do it without it, inflating a tire on an 823 with a track pump is a bloody nightmare.

NoogiE

Likes Dirt
I tried a few times with non-UST tyres on mtx33's and it was damn near impossible to get them to inflate, even with a pulsing/electronic servo pump.
Was plesantly surprised fitting UST minions on 823's though - first try with a track pump and they pumped up and held air straight away, didnt even need to pump very quickly.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got XM819's and it's the same. Not all non UST tyres work, and you definitely need an air compressor to get them to seat.