Maxxis DHF deformation.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Hello all. I was just riding along when...... not really.

I was getting tired and attempted something a little ambitious and came up short and this was the result.

[video]https://youtu.be/tcwGWnxRTXA[/video]

When it happened it was rubbing on the stays and I was able to manipulate it by hand to get me rolling down to the bottom of the track at least.

There was no noticeable pressure or sealant lost and the wheel is still dead straight.

Is this salvageable on another wheel with a tube? Is it likely to right itself when it's removed from the rim? Or is it just bin time?

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've seen this happen to tubeless Ardent, High Roller 2 and Ikons. If you got these from your LBS they should be able to warranty them. We get our tires from KWT and they've warrantied all of the ones we've sent them.

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt
Apparently maxxis tyres do this sometimes because they don't like something in Stan's. I've had it happen to two so far

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Ah. I had this happen to a tubed 29 x 2.25 nobby nic. I thought it was just because I cased many many jumps and logs on the hardtail. Perhaps I should have warranty'd it.

-Shaun

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I just warrantied an Ardent for the same thing, bike shop thought I was bullshitting them and couldn't seat a tyre.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I'd be checking the seating mould line around the rim and I guess it's moved. That fine line just above the rim should be evenly spaced all around. I bet it's not. Unseat it and start again, if that doesn't work then as others have said the tyre is shot and needs to be replaced.

wkkie

I'd be checking the seating mould line around the rim and I guess it's moved. That fine line just above the rim should be evenly spaced all around. I bet it's not. Unseat it and start again, if that doesn't work then as others have said the tyre is shot and needs to be replaced.
Yep. Is moved. But the tyre is still holding air no worries. Interesting about the sealant possibly causing issues. Any links with any more info on that?

I suppose the next step will be to try and reseat it, then try it with a tube, then maybe look at warranty.....

wkkie

Just a follow up on this one. I popped it on another wheel tubed and the issue was still there.

I contacted the company I purchased it from and they sent me a replacement with no issues at all. Great, hastle free customer service.

Thanks to www.pushys.com.au.

wkkie

How old was the tyre?
I have an Hr2 that was doing something similar.
Cheers
Gav
The tyre was used for about 10 months. But lucky if there were 20 rides on that bike during that time. There was still easily over 90% tread left on it.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Use pleanty of detergent (I use washing up detergent) around the bead and then pump up to 40 - 50 PSI and check the line around the bead to see if its even all the way around on both sides. I used to have the same issue (though it didn't seem a bad as yours) untill I started lubing up the bead, had no issues since.

Did the same to a near new (fitted up specifically for the trip) 2.3 DHR EXO TR (on non-UST Mavic rims) earlier in the year while I was in Roto. Wasn't running sub-20psi pressures or anything ridiculous but managed to stretch the casing through a deep corner. Deformed in a fashion that I immediately assumed I'd burped the rear & dumped its contents but upon inspection the tyre was still seated, albeit out by a mill or two on the one side, & still fully inflated. The deformity itself ran for 200mm along the tyre & was most pronounced through the band between the edge of the centre line & a third of the way down the sidewall. Went & bought a replacement that arvo & the guys in the shop said that it wasn't uncommon to see with tubeless tyres, particularly in the last couple of years, across all manufacturers.

Even though I'm recent tubeless convert, given Stan's is supposed to be a biodegradable latex product & has been around for a (comparatively)long time/is a tubeless staple system, it would be a little surprising to me if it was an issue being caused by it. What wouldn't surprise me though is whether this is symptomatic of general TR tyre design & construction, & the choice of materials in the quest for lighter, stronger, better. Finding the material limitations of multiple compound, wire-free/light-weight poly weave casing tyres etc. that simulations & testing mightn't be able to reveal.

A bit average on the manufacturers' part, but on the upside if you can get a warranty replacement then I guess it goes a little way to lessening the blow of a premature end to a trail session.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Good to know I'm not the only one. Thought I'd destroyd my rear rim on Sunday at Youies but was happy to find it was only the tyre.

Only a couple months old so I'll make a warranty enquiry.

wkkie

Use pleanty of detergent (I use washing up detergent) around the bead and then pump up to 40 - 50 PSI and check the line around the bead to see if its even all the way around on both sides. I used to have the same issue (though it didn't seem a bad as yours) untill I started lubing up the bead, had no issues since.
That's exactly what I did and still had the issue. You'd hope the manafacturers are starting to become aware of the issue and are sorting it out.

If this is happening with regular riders, surely it's something that product testing / simulations would easily be able to replicate?

fedor346

Likes Dirt
The tyre was used for about 10 months. But lucky if there were 20 rides on that bike during that time. There was still easily over 90% tread left on it.
Thanks mate. Going to have to speak to the guys at Pushy's about it then.

cheers,

Gav

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How widespread is this?

I've wrecked a Kenda and two DHF Exos now. Tried re-seating with soap and water multiple times to no avail. Rotated tyre around the rim and the wobble follows the tyre. Still rideable (not as bad as the OPs) but a little disappointing

DJR

Likes Dirt
I saw a High Roller II EXO TR do it. After i got the side of the tire stuck between gaps in a wet wooden slat feature at speed, wasnt a good way to do it.

I just binned the tyre after that, maybe i should have tried to get warranty.

SDA

Likes Dirt
I had a similar thing happen to a DHR2 3C EXO TR - but I was trying to clean all the old sealent off it before I mounted it to a new wheelset. I must have stretched the sidewall during the cleaning process.

I ended up taking it off, trying to stretch it back into shape, then mounting it again with a tube, pumped it up to max pressure (60 psi I think?) and left it over night. I have since mounted it back on as tubeless. There is still a small wobble... but not noticable while riding.

I was skeptical at first on how it would ride - but I haven't noticed any change in performance during the last 5 or so times I have ridden the bike.

Last edited: