Maxxis Minion PSI

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
35psi isn't that low mate. Lower pressure equals better grip in summary. Many people run their tyres at a lower pressure than that, depends on your weight and how much faith you have in your tubes.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wouldnt call 35psi low either when your talking downhill.

I run 22psi in the front and 32psi in the rear.

dan-492

Likes Dirt
yeah mate thats not really low in downhill terms at all, i run 21-23 up front and around 30 at the back. it gives you better traction and you dont bounce around and slide as much as harder pressures tend to make you.

Sorry guys I mean't HIGH not LOW! What Im wondering is why is the PSI rating go from 35-65 when we all run them at low 20's? It's not a big deal just wondering.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But. If you ride a Millyard bike you can run over 40psi and still get more traction than most bikes and never get a pinch-flat or dinged rim.

samjam

Likes Dirt
i always ran mine at 40 psi and had no probs.dropped it down to 30 front 25 back on advice from a pretty good downhiller i met up with and did some runs.first few runs i really noticed i was quicker in and around the bendy stuff and being a noob i got over confident at didnt take any b lines and even though i had a "riding utopia moment" when i stopped the back was already flat and the front was hissing and flat in seconds.i plowed a rock garden and that was that.ive since gone back to 40 all round but after my ice skating like session today i will drop it back for sure.
when i got into this bike stuff again i put so much effort into frame and shock etc i never even thought about tires etc.its the little things you can pick up off the guys who have been riding for a while that can make you realise what a wonderful pastime (obsession) we have.

indica

Serial flasher
I love these threads, one every week.

Run no air, leave the tube out, ultimate traction and saves weight too.

Jimass

Eats Squid
But. If you ride a Millyard bike you can run over 40psi and still get more traction than most bikes and never get a pinch-flat or dinged rim.
Explain.

Really, it's just them covering their arse because any low pressures and you get stretch marks in the tire, leading to premature tire failure.

i always ran mine at 40 psi and had no probs.dropped it down to 30 front 25 back on advice from a pretty good downhiller i met up with and did some runs.first few runs i really noticed i was quicker in and around the bendy stuff and being a noob i got over confident at didnt take any b lines and even though i had a "riding utopia moment" when i stopped the back was already flat and the front was hissing and flat in seconds.i plowed a rock garden and that was that.ive since gone back to 40 all round but after my ice skating like session today i will drop it back for sure.
when i got into this bike stuff again i put so much effort into frame and shock etc i never even thought about tires etc.its the little things you can pick up off the guys who have been riding for a while that can make you realise what a wonderful pastime (obsession) we have.
40.... That was very high! Thought of meeting somewhere in the middle?:D

$$Noble$$

Likes Dirt
I've run mine at 12(Front/18(back) I weight 67, with out gear.

That was fine, just so much rolling resistance.
yer i tried to run that just for testing. most places i ride the dirt just clumps never had enough to absolute drench the track but riding at that low is similar to this i guess but pedaling.

Things never to do again;
Wellsey;
Fat chicks.

"I've done my national service (every bloke should do it once!), but never again.
Think of it like pushing a wheelbarrow full of wet cement over a cattle grid and you'll get pretty close."