maxxis xeniths in the wet

blue_muppet

Likes Dirt
Just a quick Q, they have no tread, and appear super slick.
Before i put a set of these on my commuter, has anyone had any trouble with them in the wet (wet road/light rain)?

JohnJohn

mtb-oz
blue_muppet said:
Before i put a set of these on my commuter, has anyone had any trouble with them in the wet (wet road/light rain)?
I haven't used those particular tyres, but I've done lots of riding on slicks, and never had any problems in the wet. There is no need for road bike tyres to have tread - they run at high enough pressure and are narrow enough that it's impossible for them to aquaplane at bike speeds.

I will now get shouted down by idiots who have been brainwashed by tyre company marketing garbage.

King Knobby

Likes Bikes
My anecdote is better than yours...

Slicks on a roadie aren't a problem, I wouldn't worry about it. But, if it's going to go on a commuter perhaps you'd be better off with a Conti of some description with the toughened sidewalls? I've been running Conti 4 Seasons for ages and (so far) haven't even picked up a puncture. The sidewalls seem to have withstood a heap of small cuts and haven't let go. Yet...

JohnJohn

mtb-oz
King Knobby said:
If it's going to go on a commuter perhaps you'd be better off with a Conti of some description with the toughened sidewalls? I've been running Conti 4 Seasons for ages and (so far) haven't even picked up a puncture. The sidewalls seem to have withstood a heap of small cuts and haven't let go. Yet...
Anecdotally back atcha - I ran Conti Ultra Gatorskins (which use the same Duraskin layer as teh 4 Seasons) for a while and managed to put a dirty great gash right through one of them by hitting some sort of piece of sharp metal. I can't remember what wrote off the other one, but both incidents would have destroyed any tyre, IMO. Nothing's indestructible.

At least if you destroy a Conti using it for commuting you can get a cheap replacement.

Rider

Likes Dirt
blue_muppet said:
You will be fine in the wet. Just stay away from white lines and patches of oil, nothing will grip on those in the wet.

I use Hutchison Top Slicks for commuting and they're fine, I just take it a bit easy when braking and going around corners.