Maybe DH isnt for me?

indica

Serial flasher
Also there is a element of injury risk, I need to be at 100% strength for my job.
and need to be able to rely on my body to not let me down in pressure situations.
I know you say money is an issue, but I suggest you get an All Mountain style rig - 6 inches of travel and a couple of chainrings. That way you can ride for fitness and you will (I'm sure) find yourself having a shit load of fun, which will then lead to wanting to ride DH.
One bike will never do all.
Use Certegy for finance, no interest and only ends up costing a few hundred more than buying for cash.
This is my trail bike.

Highly recommend it, makes my DH riding better as it makes me fitter, but has similar ride characteristics to the Fury so switching from one to the other is not that strange.

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Hybrids cater for riding styles but isn't good for competitive riding...

example AM/XC or DH/FR

I reckon you should keep it and ride other trails, finding your flow in downhill isn't that easy if it's just your first time around the track (you sorta need a walk through or something, so you get the feel of how to navigate the situation without ploughing). DH is a discipline and a fair amount of risk is involved in riding.

Hang on to it and find some other tracks.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Merc-blue,

You probably need to look at your fitness and nutrition/hydration as stated by some of the other posters. You should also mess around with your bike set up as was also stated. Those three things will make a big difference to your day and the enjoyment you get out of it. I think in general, only a year is too short a time to learn what you need to be fast and SMOOTH on a DH bike. Make sure you have decent protective gear and ride within your abilities.
S/H bikes are worth bugger all, so keep that DH rig and save a bit more before you buy an AM bike; that way you can pull it out later when you want it. You can never have too many bikes.

I was on Buller last weekend and Glen Jacobs was talking about the new green DH track. They are at the point of marking it out and construction wont be far behind that. Obviously with the short lift season, if you rely on the lifts you wont be riding it this year.

aidz44

Likes Dirt
don't ride when you bat-shit angry (or tired) and expect to go fast and do big stuff. it just gets you even more cranky (and tired) ... read; snowball effect.
another thing that compiles my frustration is; tackling parts of the course that need to be done with a fair amount of speed, when all I want to do is chillax. and I forgot my mug of pre-mix cement, and there is no way that I'm driving home to get it.