Mcfrenzie Fence on Amos RD

Grant...

Likes Bikes
Went down to Roller cat, and the people who own the horses (DOG FOOD) have decided to put an electric fence up the middle of part of the road near the entrance to the crystal place. Your still able to just get up the road but may scratch the side of your car in doing so. Just beware of these people, as they went a bit nuts when I had a crack at pulling out the star pickets, tried to inform him it's a road that people use but it was like talking to a brick wall (a WALL that probably has relations with close relatives) We may have to sort something with the council, as they threatened anyone who moves the fence.

Last edited:

Joy

Likes Dirt
Went down to Roller cat, and the people who own the horses (DOG FOOD) have decided to put an electric fence up the middle of part of the road near the entrance to the crystal place. Your still able to just get up the road but may scratch the side of your car in doing so. Just beware of these people, as they went a bit nuts when I had a crack at pulling out the star pickets, tried to inform him it's a road that people use but it was like talking to a brick wall (a WALL that probably has relations with close relatives) We may have to sort something with the council, as they threatened anyone who moves the fence.
HAHA it was you who tried to pull them out?! We rode there today and the guys said some idiot tried to pull them out....Maybe you should have asked first? Not the best thing to take matters like that into your own hands. If the council recieves complaints about mtbers in that area they might reconsider track development....

I think his additions seemed a bit unnecessary though, so I do agree with you there. No one really should be driving up there anyway.

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
HAHA it was you who tried to pull them out?! We rode there today and the guys said some idiot tried to pull them out....Maybe you should have asked first? Not the best thing to take matters like that into your own hands. If the council recieves complaints about mtbers in that area they might reconsider track development....

I think his additions seemed a bit unnecessary though, so I do agree with you there. No one really should be driving up there anyway.

1. Its a gazetted road so therefore any chanages such as an eletricfied fence is illegal,
2. If they are going to put a fence in the middle of the road they should expect it to be removed
3. I'm with grant if its going to endanger people or cause damage injury remove the offending item, we would do the same to a dangerous fallen log, etc

Grant...

Likes Bikes

It might not hurt for you to get a few more facts before gobbing off, This bloke is a typical blocky, all he had to do move the fence a couple of feet towards the gully and it would have been fine, I even said I'd help move them, but all I got language and whinging how hard done by he is. The fence has gradually moved closer to the road, no doubt so they can access more land that they don't have an entitlement to. He has even acknowledged that the council have warned him to stop the horses from getting out or he will be fined, how the hell will a single strand electric fence keep in horses, it won't!!! He has no interest in co-operating with people who are stakeholders in maintaining the access that the road provides, people can and will use the road. I'm glad you don't think it would be necessary for the Club to access to the road, we'll just get a helicopter to sling all the crap in for the next DH race, and use Careflight to attend to the injuries.

Road Rage Ryan

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Joy are you a club member? If not please don't provide your unappreciated input.

Here are the facts;
As Aaron said the road is Gazetted therefore he can't put star pickets up over the road. The road is in Gatton council district though which could prove tricky.

Anyone can drive up the road whenever they want as far as the gate. Beyond the gate you need a key and probably a 4wd. As others have said the road is for accident access as well as to fight fires.

Last edited:

MrPlow

TMBC
Might have to go down in "OL YELLA" and check this fence out. Woops! Damn, did i just run that fence over?!:p

Joy

Likes Dirt
Joy are you a club member? If not please don't provide your unappreciated input.

Here are the facts;
As Aaron said the road is Gazetted therefore he can't put star pickets up over the road. The road is in Gatton council district though which could prove tricky.

Anyone can drive up the road whenever they want as far as the gate. Beyond the gate you need a key and probably a 4wd. As others have said the road is for accident access as well as to fight fires.
No I'm not, I live in Brisbane now. I still stand by what I said. I can just see it turning into an annoying, bickering mess that just makes both parties look bad. I still think the best course of action was to notify the proper people, who can then take care of it.
I didn't like where it was either, it's just not a matter I'd take into my own hands by destroying it and stirring the ants nest, so to speak.

Reading over my post, I apologise if it seemed like I was calling you a complete utter idiot haha. Should have put quotation marks around that part as thats what the farmers/bogans were saying. I did actually think it was funny that a rider had pulled it down (in a silent victory sort of way), but in hindsight I did consider the repercussions and posted accordingly.

I was talking to Mark Farrington before and he said that he was going to talk to the guys in his department and see if they can help out too.
Spoke to one of our local compliance peolpe this morning hoping I could arrange for someone in uniform to pay our friend a visit. But unfortunately it seems issues such as this are so low on their priority list that an official complaint would be unlikely to ever see the light of day.

Our best hope looks like Gatton Council taking some action.

Bluedog

Squid
Whoa people - we are all on the same side here - that is MTB'ing. The road is gazetted so the fence needs to be moved - as satisfying as it is to want to destroy it, if we stick to a legal approach then MTB will have more credibility with the council and authorities that we may need to seek help from.

Instead of attacking each other on this site, use your voice and lets have a coordinated effort to individually ring the council. The more compliants they receive the more likely they are to get involved and take action. If it poses a big issue to all then a letter from the Toowoomba MTB club would probably be a good idea.

Just been down to the bottom of Mcfenzie for a look at the offending fence and discovered the whole issue has been resolved.

It seems a bit of politics has been playing out between Gatton Council and Amos Rd landowner lately and turns out the property owner was within his rights to put the fence up where he did because the road actually wandered through his land.

Council has now constructed a new road where it was always meant to be and everone's happy.