Mechanical Craziness!! Cold war preferred, anything nuts also gratefully accepted!

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Cant resist this one :)

Couple of pictures on bucket reclaimers on first page of thread. They are also huge pieces of mobile equipment.

Big%20Wheel.jpg

Where did I park my D9 bulldozer?? Ah.... there it is!

Big%20Wheel%202.jpg

skinnyboy73

Likes Bikes
The Napier Deltic, used in the Deltic class locomotives and torpedo boats. It had three crankshafts, and three banks of opposed cylinders in a triangular layout (hence the name). Technically a two stroke diesel - the two pistons in a given cylinder don't reach their respective top centers at the same time. Sounds like pure power.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=68&ty=59
As a kid growing up in the UK they used a lot of Deltics on the non electrified routes. The sound of a deltic at full noise clagging its way to North Wales still gives me the chills. They have to be seen and felt to really appreciate what a beast these things were, great memories of them pulling out of Liverpool Lime Street turbos screaming their heads off, the smoke, the earth literally rumbling. Awesome!

http://youtu.be/vpXtZ0-2nOs

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
May as well post here:

Does anyone know the advantages of having those tracks arranged in the 'A' sort of direction? We had a Dozer out at the farm (Fiat Allison B4 I think it was) and it just had the flat kind of tracks, but all the really big ones seem to have the tall 'A' ones (if you know what I'm talking about).

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
May as well post here:

Does anyone know the advantages of having those tracks arranged in the 'A' sort of direction? We had a Dozer out at the farm (Fiat Allison B4 I think it was) and it just had the flat kind of tracks, but all the really big ones seem to have the tall 'A' ones (if you know what I'm talking about).
From the Source of All Knowledge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_D10. I'm guessing that Mattracks use this design to improve ride comfort and durability?

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
May as well post here:

I would say the mattracks conversions use the A frame design as they are replacing a wheel with the tracks. The A shape maximises the length of track that can be made to contact the ground and still fit under the guards/maintain height/gear ratios etc.

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
May as well post here:

Seems to be the main advantage is clearance of the underside of the vehicle. the elevated cog is the drive, and will directly impact the clearance of axles, diffs, etc.

The footprint of the track would be increased by spacing the two bottom cogs further apart.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well the thread did say anything nuts also gratefully accepted. Probably developed during the Cold War (those crazy Americans), after all some Navy's did train Dolphins to plant mines on the hulls of ships.

GnarDolphin.jpg

GnarWhale.jpg

Bermshot

Banned
I love this. But would rather be aft than on the main, especially pushing the west to get back above and over Cape Horn.
image.jpg
pushing hard, but can't go too much.

All sails heaved (not the the same ship) and the men get a break.
image.jpg
Cutting swift Captain! Eye

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I did most of my apprenticeship hanging off these..
CDSCC near Canberra.. this is DSS43, the largest at 70mt at 2400 tonnes, rotating on a hydrostatic bearing thinner than a strand of hair.
best day was hanging in a fall arrest harness from the sub reflector platform at full tilt!
dss43_nh_wakeup.jpg