Mega Avalanche 2015

krazi

Squid
I used Two Wheel Tours for a Rotorua trip i did last week.

the best 5 days of riding ive had, and everything we needed was on hand for us.

Cant say anything bad about them mate, Will is an awesome tour guide and you will have an awesome time.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking of doing it myself but freelance if that makes sense.I'm gonna visit mum in the U.K. around that time and have a deal with the mrs that I week in the French Alps was just the thing. Must admit I'm way too unfit and expect to be an Affinty(infinity) racer but don't care. I have no idea where to stay,how to get there or what to do but will start researching in the next few weeks. Does anybody know how quick the race applications sell out ?.
I'm buying some running shoes next week in a pathetic attempt to get my 44yo bong infested lungs unto shape for the Alps.Wish me luck and hopefully I'll see you there

rowanb

Likes Dirt
Haven't been on either tour, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. That said, my experience with Alpine Gravity is that three out of the four events I've attended have been (in my opinion) poorly organised and a disappointment.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's not too good to hear ^^.

Anyone got any idea of the race entry costs?

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hear you get a huge discount on race entry if you are riding a cracked Orange Patriot

deej

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the heads up, Krazi.

Anyone else?
Hey man, i'm on board for the 2015 Mega Europe Tour, I jumped in last minute, I'm pretty keen to head over, riding some of Europes Alps is something i've always wanted to do.
I've traveled a great deal over the years for work and for myself, and never ever associated with a tour/contiki, i'm always happy to arrange everything myself & learn from that or what friends have done, but this seemed to be a good deal overall for the price per day, and I thought it might be good to let someone else take care of setting it all up for once. That way I get to cruise along, ride, relax and see what I like and don't like, i'm also extending my stay for 2 weeks on the end when everyone else is going home, so I may do more riding or check out some places i've never been.

I haven't been involved in anything Alpine Gravity before, but had heard good things from a work friend, and i've heard Ben (main organiser) is a decent guy with good intentions and a love for everything MTB.
He's also an instructor, and said any help/assistance to do with riding skills along the way is included.

Also that being said I do wish i'd done a little more research before signing up, but I was new to mailing list, and made a decision based on overall price, locations, airline, time of year/work leave preference and it being something that i've wanted to do for a long time, plus I love travel, experiencing new locations, different cultures and the opportunities that arise from that. So i'm pumped for it!

I'll be sure to post details, and reviews as it happens. The racing i'm not that interested in, and may opt out and hit the other trails/areas on those days instead.

I'm waiting for the itinerary/specifics at the moment.

Do you know anyone else that signed up, did you end up enlisting?

Last edited:

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey man, i'm on board for the 2015 Mega Europe Tour, I jumped in last minute, I'm pretty keen to head over, riding some of Europes Alps is something i've always wanted to do.
I've traveled a great deal over the years for work and for myself, and never ever associated with a tour/contiki, i'm always happy to arrange everything myself & learn from that or what friends have done, but this seemed to be a good deal overall for the price per day, and I thought it might be good to let someone else take care of setting it all up for once. That way I get to cruise along, ride, relax and see what I like and don't like, i'm also extending my stay for 2 weeks on the end when everyone else is going home, so I may do more riding or check out some places i've never been.

I haven't been involved in anything Alpine Gravity before, but had heard good things from a work friend, and i've heard Ben (main organiser) is a decent guy with good intentions and a love for everything MTB.
He's also an instructor, and said any help/assistance to do with riding skills along the way is included.

Also that being said I do wish i'd done a little more research before signing up, but I was new to mailing list, and made a decision based on overall price, locations, airline, time of year/work leave preference and it being something that i've wanted to do for a long time, plus I love travel, experiencing new locations, different cultures and the opportunities that arise from that. So i'm pumped for it!

I'll be sure to post details, and reviews as it happens. The racing i'm not that interested in, and may opt out and hit the other trails/areas on those days instead.

I'm waiting for the itinerary/specifics at the moment.

Do you know anyone else that signed up, did you end up enlisting?

Yeah mate, sounds good.

I signed up to Alpine Gravity's trip too.

Now all I have to do is tap my fingers at my desk for 6 months!!

deej

Likes Bikes
Yeah mate, sounds good.

I signed up to Alpine Gravity's trip too.

Now all I have to do is tap my fingers at my desk for 6 months!!
Awesome.

I know right?
Are you heading over and back on the allocated dates or going somewhere else afterwards?

I'm probably staying in Europe until August 6th, might ride some other areas if I can or just travel around.

Will you be racing the events at Mega & Hell?

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi POSM,

Could not recommend Ben/Alpine Gravity enough. He was a great guide for the very well thought out trip.

We had a great bunch of guys and gals this year and the riding was spectacular, in particular the 'back country' guided rides Ben organised with a local mtb shop.

Accommodation was spot on for the type of holiday. Beers and good times were a plenty.

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

Trent

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Cheers bud. Had a look on their website but it's pretty scant on info for next year at this stage:

What was the price for the 2015 tour?

How long did it go for?

Where did you have to make your way to to meet the tour?

Megavalanche on a 5" travel hardtail: easily doable, a little bit foolhardy or damn suicidal?

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Answers in red below...

Cheers bud. Had a look on their website but it's pretty scant on info for next year at this stage:

Yeah it will be a little different next year as the Mountain of Hell is actually being run before the Mega Avalanche

What was the price for the 2015 tour?

I believe it was roughly $3300 (exc. flights). Hotel in Les 2 Alps was top notch - awesome 3 course dinners every night. Essentially everything is paid for except lunch and beer

How long did it go for?

It was just over 2 weeks. 2 days in Morzine, 6 days in Alp Huez and 5 in Les 2 Alps. Numbers are rough and may change I think for next year... Would have loved a little more time in Morzine/Les Gets.

Where did you have to make your way to to meet the tour?

Everyone (~13) except me met and flew together from Melbourne. I made my own way there from Brisbane. Plus a lot of the guys went on and continued their holidays afterwards

Megavalanche on a 5" travel hardtail: easily doable, a little bit foolhardy or damn suicidal?

Perfect size bike for the Mega. I rode an Orange 5 with 160mm Fox Talas and a Vorsprung Corset Air sleeve on the rear shock. The Mega isn't actually as gnarly as you may think. But after an hour of constant downhill you certainly feel every little bump and rock. Mountain of Hell on the other hand is a fair bit more rough, but doing it on a 5 inch just makes it more fun!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Sick cheeky selfie man.

Your race start is the best! Crazy stuff. Jeleous as all hell.