Melbourne - Park and Ride?

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Hey folks

I'm currently living in the Dandenongs and working in Port Melbourne, commuting 5 days a week via Citylink. This is costing not far off $3k a year in tolls, which is money I'd rather spend on my family or my bike. Thinking about parking up before the tolls kick in (around Toorak I guess) and riding the rest of the way. The trail along the south bank of the Yarra looks nice on Google Maps... Anyone got any suggestions on where's a good place to park without antagonising local residents?

Cheers!

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I commute along gardeners creek trail (heading city outwards in the morning), my pick would be the parking at gardeners creek just off high street road, I've never seen it full as I presume it's just that little bit further out - 15 odd km's.

Around Toorak rd, you won't get parking there unless your are in very early.

Also good because your getting off before it really piles up.

0psi

Eats Squid
Why wouldn't you just ride the whole way? I stuck it into Google maps and it's about 35km, does that sound about right? Wouldn't take that much more time just to ride in the whole way. By the time you faff about with the car, find a park, get the bike out and get going it wouldn't take that much more to ride in and you'll save heaps on fuel every year too.

I used to work about 47km from home and it took 10-15 minutes longer to get to work on the bike than the train. All the time faffing about adds up, 15min walk to the station, wait a couple of minutes for the train 15 minute walk at the other end.

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Why wouldn't you just ride the whole way? I stuck it into Google maps and it's about 35km, does that sound about right? Wouldn't take that much more time just to ride in the whole way. By the time you faff about with the car, find a park, get the bike out and get going it wouldn't take that much more to ride in and you'll save heaps on fuel every year too.

I used to work about 47km from home and it took 10-15 minutes longer to get to work on the bike than the train. All the time faffing about adds up, 15min walk to the station, wait a couple of minutes for the train 15 minute walk at the other end.
It'd be around 45Km I reckon... maybe possible but I'm scared of cars and lorries and there's no way to go the full distance without having to navigate quite a lot of them. Ideally looking to keep to dedicated bike paths as much as possible. Plus I'm lazy and unfit.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
It'd be around 45Km I reckon... maybe possible but I'm scared of cars and lorries and there's no way to go the full distance without having to navigate quite a lot of them. Ideally looking to keep to dedicated bike paths as much as possible. Plus I'm lazy and unfit.
I don't blame you for wanting to avoid on the roads, when living in Kilsyth I had the option of canterbury, burwood hwy and Maroondah Hwy which are all pretty dangerous in peak hour due to narrowness, 80 zones or tram lane so traffic is constantly changing lanes.

Bike track down eastern freeway is also an option - it's pretty good with minimal road crossing, just a little muddled once it gets down at fairfeild boathouse - could park all day at eastland right next to the track for a longer ride into town

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
I reckon you nailed it with the High St suggestion - good direct ride, not out of the way, not too many roads to navigate, about the right distance. Going to give it a go this week, I might try something further in future if it goes well. If you pass a chap on a grey vintage Orange Clockwork, panting like an excited puppy and sweating like a raincloud, that'll be me. Cheers champ!

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
What about public transport and one of these?

http://www.plentycycles.com.au/index.php/products/strida-bikes

If I was working in the city or anywhere near it this is what I'd be using on the days I wasn't up for the commute (which would be most days these days).
Those bikes are very cool.
I like the idea of it, but a couple of things balls it up for me - I do a drop at childcare on the way to work and I live at the very top of a pretty serious hill. I think it also works out a bit more expensive than the park and ride option.