Melbourne trials riders wanted for input on area development

akashra

Eats Squid
A current project we have going has scope and suitable materials just sitting around for the development of a trials area in Melbourne. I'm looking to grab some details of inner-Melbourne based riders who wouldn't mind giving some time for either feedback, or to provide input on what they would like to see in a purpose-built area. However, because we are primarily a XC club, the number of trials riders we have within the club is severely limited, so we're looking for a bit more outside feedback.
As it stands, we are currently most of the way through construction of what is one of the worlds largest pump tracks, and have plans for significant amounts of singletrack and boardwalk skills-section development.

Similarly, I'm looking for general comments on what might riders might like to see used which they can't come across commonly, or the kind of volume of area which they'd like to see made available for trials areas.

Any feedback will be helpful.

akashra

Eats Squid
To be clear, this is to discuss the potential for trials areas to be available - they have not yet been built. This is why we want some feedback.

nodabs

Likes Bikes
This was just posted on OTN, I'm happy to provide a sounding board for ideas etc, (been riding and building fro like 12 years now)

if you want some input just shoot through some Q's nodabs(@)gmail.com

Paul

Rush

Likes Dirt
Also very happy to help approx 8-10 yrs for me. Sounds promising that people other than trials riders are considering this!

toberush(@)hotmail.com

rockcrawler

Likes Bikes
I'm a fairly new trials rider so would like to see some easy stuff incorporated to get new people trying trials out. I'm happy to join your club and help build. Paul and Toby are best qualified to give ideas on advanced stuff.

streets

Likes Dirt
Finally, a trials park!
Big rocks, logs and concrete slabs/pipes are the old favourites.
I'd say that due to the nature of trials you can pretty much dump the objects any which way and people will find lines for themselves.

DOWNHILLPHILL

Likes Dirt
Well if this is going to happen I would like to see the classic "triangle" obstacles they are like this ___/\/\/\/\___ they are just like two pallets stuck together but you guys could probably just make them out of concrete, they generally have boards nailed across the face of them for the bike to sit on, this is good for begginer riders as they can slowly hop up onto them and the more advanced riders can hop straight onto the top of them and across of course, begginer riders can ride thier bikes straight across and advanced riders can side hop across the top of each pallet (make a small flat section on each point for this.

That would almost be a necesity and we need to make obstacles like this where begginer riders as well as advanced can use the same obstacle in a different way as it would save money.

Just some ideas for you guys anyway, Also we would want to make it as (un skate park like as possible) to avoid 14 year olds with attitude on thier bmx bikes swearing at dudes that are 25 years old and are actually into trials. so if we avoided cement in some places that would work well.

racerm

Squid
As a beginner rider, it would be great to have something for everybody, ranging from a beginner style section with gradual drop-offs, wide berms, and some flat rocky sections to practice riding more technical section.

For intermediate to advanced riders, it would be hard for me to comment (as I am not at that level), but Understand it would be difficult to have a good DH section.
A jumps section would be great, as well as some rocky drop-offs.

Of course would love to see some fast flowing single track sections with all of the above!!!

atschool

Likes Bikes
As it stands, we are currently most of the way through construction of what is one of the worlds largest pump tracks, and have plans for significant amounts of singletrack and boardwalk skills-section development.
Any word on this? Is it finished? Would be keen to lend a hand if there are any working bees etc.

akashra

Eats Squid
We are dealing with other priorities/issues caused by the local friends group at the moment. These guys are very good at doing anything and everything they can to stop cycling in any way they possibly can.

As for "is it finished" - no, not even started. When it gets to that point, we will involve the group of contacts I have for the project.