Melrose

boyracer

Likes Dirt
School me on Melrose please.
Kids finally getting into MTB and I want to take family up this year...tried 2020/2021. I haven't been there for ages, like 20 + years.
Who's going ?
Stay at Caravan Park?
Website still has 2021 dates on it but it's still long weekend in June? Then 18 hr in August?

Last edited:

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Fat tyre festival is always June long weekend.
Caravan Park books up fast but there's also camping at the showground.

New kids trails at the showground and family friendly stuff that was just opened in November at Willowie Forest which is 5km each way by rail trail from the showground or drive to the new carpark and picnic ground.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Fat tyre festival is always June long weekend.
Caravan Park books up fast but there's also camping at the showground.

New kids trails at the showground and family friendly stuff that was just opened in November at Willowie Forest which is 5km each way by rail trail from the showground or drive to the new carpark and picnic ground.
What's the camping and pit area set-up for the 18hr usually? We had a caravan site booked for last year before they shut the border, but found out after the track doesn't go near it any more?

Edit: could always stalk @ozzybmx and chuck a tent in his yard :p

Last edited:

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
What's the camping and pit area set-up for the 18hr usually? We had a caravan site booked for last year before they shut the border, but found out after the track doesn't go near it any more?

Edit: could always stalk @ozzybmx and chuck a tent in his yard :p
For the 18hr, we stayed at the caravan park. Cruisy short roll to start line. Bugger doing that from the showground. A few of the solo guys had their vans parked in the Nott St bays, just down from the pub.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Better off at the town camp ground, closer to everything, kids can entertain themselves with groups of other skids, hitting jumps and riding around, pubs, Brewery and coffee all within 200m.

I can't understand why the showgrounds gets so many people. We stayed there once with a group a few years back and walked the 2km in to town.

Then slipped back to powered site 19 which we had booked 4 times a year on the big weekends.
It was a hot site, right on the creek overlooking the jumps. A mate has taken over it for FTF now.

Cardy George

@ozzybmx what's diesel selling for up that way?

My participation in the 18hr is looking pretty shaky. Finding it hard to justify the fuel bill when there's children needing braces and other allegedly required items.

ozzybmx

children needing braces and other allegedly required items.
Theres a new bike in every mouth :(

I always use BP Ultimate Diesel so never use the fuel stations out of town but 'Store 54' is under new ownership and is now an Ampol.

You'd usually find the country ones are competitive or they'll loose the cockys dollars, including all things smoko.

Cardy George

I'm in! Woo-hoo! Well, I still have to pay, I have questions to ask the organisers, mainly about Ex-VC's ability to enter.

But I also have questions about this

Where's the camp-site? Is it the caravan park? In "the rules" it says riders can get food and support in the transfer area, but the above suggests we can stop "anywhere"?

ozzybmx

I'm in! Woo-hoo! Well, I still have to pay, I have questions to ask the organisers, mainly about Ex-VC's ability to enter.

But I also have questions about this

View attachment 391126

Where's the camp-site? Is it the caravan park? In "the rules" it says riders can get food and support in the transfer area, but the above suggests we can stop "anywhere"?
Yes its the unpowered side of the caravan park, on the mountain side of the creek. Seems the track will traverse the unpowered side before heading to the main street.

Along here https://www.strava.com/segments/13096297

You have always been able to stop at your camp for refills and food, teams have even done changeover at their camps.

The kids/youths all do relay style changeovers on the main street as it more dramatic and make a better hang out place for parents.

Cardy George

Yes its the unpowered side of the caravan park, on the mountain side of the creek. Seems the track will traverse the unpowered side before heading to the main street.

Along here https://www.strava.com/segments/13096297

You have always been able to stop at your camp for refills and food, teams have even done changeover at their camps.

The kids/youths all do relay style changeovers on the main street as it more dramatic and make a better hang out place for parents.
Sweet, we've been booked into a powered site for months. Will chuck in a marquee for the dark hours and claim a place. In fact, there will probably be a few heading over so it might become base camp.

The other question is getting permission for the Ex-Vc to race solo. "The rules" say under 18 can only race if they're on the same team as their parent.

We'll put the word out for riders to make a team with the Little Sender, but we're not holding out much hope.

ozzybmx

The other question is getting permission for the Ex-Vc to race solo. "The rules" say under 18 can only race if they're on the same team as their parent.

We'll put the word out for riders to make a team with the Little Sender, but we're not holding out much hope.
Solo 6hr for the Ex-Vc ?

My oldest did 6 duo last year with another 15yr old (both 15 at time of race). He is doing 6 solo this year aged 16 but unsure if he's entered yet.

Send an email and let them know you have the little sender needing a team, they should be able to get him in a team with others Juniors.

Cardy George

Solo 6hr for the Ex-Vc ?

My oldest did 6 duo last year with another 15yr old (both 15 at time of race). He is doing 6 solo this year aged 16 but unsure if he's entered yet.

Send an email and let them know you have the little sender needing a team, they should be able to get him in a team with others Juniors.
Yep, solo 6 and he'll just circulate as much as he can. There's maybe one other over here that I'll have a chat to and maybe they'll pair up.

ozzybmx

Well, I just got cleared for leave so will probably do 6 duo with #2 son.

Hope the weather is kind as last year was was miserable.

ozzybmx

Hey @Cardy George, shave that beard and identify as Caroline George... free entry :oops:

Seems a few races lately either have free or cheap promo entry for women. Might be funding to get 'women in sport' or something.

What about us blokes !

Cardy George

Hey @Cardy George, shave that beard and identify as Caroline George... free entry :oops:

Seems a few races lately either have free or cheap promo entry for women. Might be funding to get 'women in sport' or something.

What about us blokes !
LOL, over Mrs George's dead body. She insists it stays, something about not wanting it to look like she's married to a 12 year old.........