Metal Working! Fitting, Machining, Welding, Sheet and General Metal Fab

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Simple job yesterday. Put longer legs in a folding step so the wife can get into the camper. Existing leggies had adjustable feet but were still about 25mm too low. Grabbed some 25sq aluminium box and used one of the old legs to set the table in the right place. Pushed the bottom against and end stop and then just swapped the new bits into place. Refit the old leg and move the table to the next hole etc. D the four new legs and fitted them up. Added 45mm in length which was as much as I could do and still have the legs fold. Lifts the step enough. Plus I can dump so air from the suspenders to make up more if necessary. No marking and punching and worrying about drilling off centre.

Last edited:

Brow

Big Block
Simple job yesterday. Put longer legs in a folding step so the wife can get into the camper. Existing leggies had adjustable feet but were still about 25mm too low. Grabbed some 25sq aluminium box and used one of the old legs to set the table in the right place. Pushed the bottom against and end stop and then just swapped the new bits into place. Refit the old leg and move the table to the next hole etc. D the four new legs and fitted them up. Added 45mm in length which was as much as I could do and still have the legs fold. Lifts the step enough. Plus I can dump so air from the suspenders to make up more if necessary. No marking and punching and worrying about drilling off centre.
I read that twice but still can't picture it my head and only on my first beer. Photo's or it did not happen? and I am curious to understand this.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Tomorrow... maybe.
Its a wise move, friends of mine spent 6 weeks riding Tasmania, the night before the ferry in Latrobe, she tripped up the caravan steps with 1/2 a glass of wine drunk, she spent 2 weeks in a Tassie hospital, waiting for a flight that could take someone with a spiral fracture to Adelaide. Husband had to get the ferry with an over 2.1m van the day after she fell and waited 2 weeks for her to get back to Adelaide.

Caravan steps are important !

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Opening up the inlet manifold tappings today. Brand name (not chinesium) manifold and it machined and drilled beautifully but it was terrible to tap. Not sure if it was because I was running a 1/4" NPT tapered tap or something else. Very gummy. I sharpened the tap with a diamond hone and it happily cut threads in a scrap piece of 6000 series. Tried tapmagic, metho, isopropyl alcohol, dry and even some methylethylmurgatroydbenzene but no difference. Ah well done now. Faced the mating surfaces and ready to go back.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Maybe this belongs in LTIH but my youtube feed is continously inundated with videos of people making supposedly precision stuff that looks good but is most likely terrible. Making shiny things is easy, making precise components (particularly tooling) is difficult. A machinist is not a tool maker, and a tool maker is not an instrument maker.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Maybe this belongs in LTIH but my youtube feed is continously inundated with videos of people making supposedly precision stuff that looks good but is most likely terrible. Making shiny things is easy, making precise components (particularly tooling) is difficult. A machinist is not a tool maker, and a tool maker is not an instrument maker.
I have been watching some restoration videos of old gear and some of the practices are downright awful. And guys talking about safety first and using angle grinders without guards, no eye protection and so on.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Thailand is a classic too. Did a brew house maintenance training course in Khon Kaen back in 2016. Thankfully we were just observing otherwise nothing would've been serviced:

• ladder steps held together with AWG8 wire
  • a round sling that had been broken sometime in its antiquated history and had been "repaired" with a granny knot or two, this sling was used to remove the crushing rollers (each weighing over a tonne) from the malt mill.
  • A dude standing on a 6in wide I-beam 2 stories up with nothing to hold onto and no harness gear.
  • And last but not least, everyone on the course including the course instructor (except for a Japanese guy, my boss and I) got into a wort tank and climbed down the 6m to the bottom of the tank to look at some damage. No BA gear, no rescue gear, no spotters, no register. Absolute psychos.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
I have an t-shirt with a picture of a big ol' Bridgeport on the front and "Engage Safety Squints" on the back.

Got a call one day from an old student and he asked to be put on speaker. " right you lot listen up, I'm sitting here in Hospital in Kal(goorlie) and the doc just told me that my safety glasses saved my eye when an air hose let go. wear ya safeties ya mongrels like Mr G says!"
Was a lad that ended up in the mines on RC drills and someone didn't clip an air line. he always remembered my bollocking him ( a lot) in class about safety gear. Job done.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
So all you motoring enthusiasts out there that own an early 911 but wish it had a sequential 6 speed, (huge market, I know) your prayers have been answered!

A project that I've been heavily involved in is finally coming to life after some pretty significant delays, some details:
- 6 speed sequential
- dog change
- iso polished profile ground gearset
- integrated oil pump and internal galleries to critical componentry
- 8.25" R&P set
- full billet cases
- fully interchangeable with OE 915 trans. Unbolt the 915 and this will go straight in, no modifications to car at all. (Do need to mount an oil cooler though.)
- billet shift tower that's also fully compatible with the OE tunnel and console is also in the works

Would love to show off with some photo's but it's a big fat no to posting them at the moment...
I still haven't been given the OK to share photo's, then I spot this on Insta, so...
http://instagr.am/p/C0bXe7ySFgW/

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Very tasty indeed!
Given I've burned all my money at the shrine of Mizuno-san I'm not going to be getting a 930 or 964 any time soon. But it's nice to see things like this exist.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk