Metal Working! Fitting, Machining, Welding, Sheet and General Metal Fab

dazz

Downhill Dazz
If the taper is even slightly off it may not do the job at all. Rubbing a bit of bearing blue and putting in the spindle will tell you straight away. It's maybe 2 minutes of effort. Re-machining the taper where you are removing almost no material will also take a very short time, particularly as he had everything set up.

Couldn't agree more, but not testing if your taper's fit is any good or having a look at your tool holder's runout is hardly chasing the last micron. It's just really basic stuff. It's not elitist or anything like that. It's what any tool maker would do, and even if you're not a tool maker its the sort of basic common sense thing that any good machinist would do as second nature. How can you make anything without measuring the result???
Bluing it certainly wouldn't have hurt. Kurtis clearly had enough confidence in his process to skip that step (or he didn'thave any on hand). He's not a tool maker and he's not selling it so doesn't need to document its accuracy for QC purposes or anything like that. He validated the result by using it.

He's also not making it as a 'shiny thing' for YT views. For what he'll be using it for, it'll most likely be fine. And if it's not, then he's got himself another vid for YT, hasn't he.

At any rate, they are only doing the YT thing as a side gig. I think that's why it works for a lot of viewers. There's no planned video production, it's just Karen getting Kurtis to explain what he's doing and then videoing him doing it.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Had a look at edge precision. Doesn't do it for me. I see that stuff every day at work and spend my days designing parts to be manufactured using similar machines and processes. He clearly knows his stuff, but for me it's a bit "meh".
To give you an idea, in our shop we have:
- range of manual and NC lathes
- shaper generators and tooth pointing machines
- manual and NC hobs cyl and spiral bevel
- manual and CNC mills and machining centres
- surface grinders
- profile grinders
- internal and external cylindrical grinders
- Alu HT furnace & tempering
- Iso polish kit
- bunch of shot peening kit
- 3d scanning, CMM, TTI (tooth profile and lead), hardness tester.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Had a look at edge precision. Doesn't do it for me. I see that stuff every day at work and spend my days designing parts to be manufactured using similar machines and processes. He clearly knows his stuff, but for me it's a bit "meh".
To give you an idea, in our shop we have:
- range of manual and NC lathes
- shaper generators and tooth pointing machines
- manual and NC hobs cyl and spiral bevel
- manual and CNC mills and machining centres
- surface grinders
- profile grinders
- internal and external cylindrical grinders
- Alu HT furnace & tempering
- Iso polish kit
- bunch of shot peening kit
- 3d scanning, CMM, TTI (tooth profile and lead), hardness tester.
But your workplace is pretty unusual. Not many people.can claim to work somewhere genuinely world class.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

dazz

Downhill Dazz
But your workplace is pretty unusual. Not many people.can claim to work somewhere genuinely world class.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Oh for sure, that's why I said "for me".

Wouldn't say world class, but aspiring to be. Manufacturing is a tough game these days, especially in Aus. So much important supporting industry and knowledge has disappeared.

slowmick

38-39"
Oh for sure, that's why I said "for me".

Wouldn't say world class, but aspiring to be. Manufacturing is a tough game these days, especially in Aus. So much important supporting industry and knowledge has disappeared.

Lots of knowledge has retired and shut the doors with no one capable or interested in taking over the business out this side of town.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The machine shop that I used to use here to cut gears couldn't even find anyone to operate a CNC machine. He offered a phone and car with the job, a few blokes tried but they made quite a few mistakes and were too slow.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Many western countries have the same problem. People just don't want to be on the factory floor and who can blame them. Much better to be at a desk behind a computer.

It's safe, quiet and you've got more time to watch other people do interesting things on YouTube.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Same in the place I work. We can't get boilermakers, auto sparkies, CNC machinists or mechanical engineers. Not to say we don't get plenty of applicants, especially for the electrical and engineering roles but let's just say they lack any practical experience whatsoever, no matter what "qualifications" they have on their resume.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve enjoyed a few CEE videos, and I’ll speculate that he didn’t show checking the CAT50 for run out etc maybe because they thought a lot of people would find it boring and switch off.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt

This chap does some interesting stuff - in this vid he uses an old milling machine head to make a gear shaper.
I have a complete spare head for my mill, thanks to the warranty issue I had and Redfox not wanting it back. Right now I don't need to make gears but I like the idea, maybe I'll come up with some other idea to make something out of the spare milling machine head.....

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Dear Rotorburn Lathe experts:

Some of you may have seen my WTB thread, needing an odd sized crown race, to fit the tapered steerer on an Avanti carbon fibre road fork.

The OD of the base of the fork steerer comes in at 38.06mm, and the ID of the crown race for the tapered integrated headset measures 39.99mm, according to my cheapy micrometer. The metal collar (?) at the base of the steerer is approx 7mm high.

I need someone to turn up a shim to fit over the tapered steerer so that the crown race fits snugly, and I can get on with my build.
It could be Aluminium or Stainless steel. whatever would work best. Is this feasible? how much would it cost? for one or maybe two, because stuff happens...

Thanks in advance, for your consideration.
If it's in greater Melbourne, I can bring the fork to you, and it can be measured with your (no doubt) way better quality micrometer.

Some photos of the offending areas:

Cadent Fork 1.jpgCadent Fork 2.jpgCadent Fork 3.jpgCadent Fork 4.jpgCadent Fork 5.jpgCadent Fork 6.jpgCadent Fork 7.jpgFSA Tapered Integrated headset Crown Race and Lower cup Bearing 1.jpgFSA Tapered Integrated headset Crown Race and Lower cup Bearing 2.jpgFSA tapered integrated headset lower bearing diameter.jpg

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
The black section is smaller than 38.06? Looks bigger? Like a split race is needed?
I gave it another go on the micrometer, and measuring at the tips of the calipers, the base of the steerer is closer to 38.02mm. I locked/screwed the little grub screw tight at that width, and moved the calipers down and up, and they seem to catch a bit right where the metal collar starts. I think the metal collar is a wee bit wider than the widest section of carbon(??) or it's about the same, with a slight groove where the carbon meets the metal.
Probably needs someone who knows what they are doing /looking at, to see what's what.
I suspect I'm not measuring it right, and that my micrometer is a POS.