Metal Working! Fitting, Machining, Welding, Sheet and General Metal Fab

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Been a few years but it was still inches when I gave up working.

Places built BCE in imperial still talk imperial in the field for sizes though the control rooms are all metrified after multiple upgrades. Guys don't seem to have issues. Unlike NASA who I understand have now bucked the trend in the US and are metric.
NASA started using the metric system around 1990 and now a of major manufacturers are using metric. Ford, GM, Chrysler went metric in the 80's along with brands like Caterpillar.

Mix-ups still happen and one of the most notorious was the Mars Orbiter catastrophe of September 1999. After ten months of travelling from Earth to Mars, the $125 million NASA probe heading for Mars suddenly burned up and broke apart. A review panel found the problem within the software that controlled the orbiter’s thrusters. Lockheed Martin Astronautics, which designed and built the probe, had used the imperial system to do so and had provided the orbiter’s force data in imperial measurements: pounds of force. NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab assumed that the data had already been converted to metric, because using metric is standard practice in the aerospace industry. As a result, the orbiter’s thruster software first calculated in imperial measurements while another piece of code interpreted the calculations in metric. The miscommunication pushed the orbiter too close to Mars’s atmosphere, where it was destroyed. The mistake caused NASA and Lockheed Martin millions of dollars and months of time.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
So.... Is it worth getting better quality vernier calipers? I still need to measure the ID of some parts/bearing cups etc quality
And what's a good quality micrometer to consider?

I did get a Wera torque wrench on black friday. I get the impression that Wera tools are not Pieces of Sheeit.

@Flow-Rider Thanks for the Link to BAM cycles. I ordered the crown race, but haven't been able to get there to collect. Should have paid for postage. FML, I should know this by now :p

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
So.... Is it worth getting better quality vernier calipers? I still need to measure the ID of some parts/bearing cups etc quality

I did get a Wera torque wrench on black friday. I get the impression that Wera tools are not Pieces of Sheeit.

@Flow-Rider Thanks for the Link to BAM cycles. I ordered the crown race, but haven't been able to get there to collect. Should have paid for postage. FML, I should know this by now :p
The Kinchrome 150mm calipers are decent and cheap.

Flow-Rider

Burner

I thought you would have popped in there with the fork to double check if it fits?

I think it's a standard size for some of the Trek forks.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I thought you would have popped in there with the fork to double check if it fits?

I think it's a standard size for some of the Trek forks.
Well, I want to ASAP, but I've had a nasty problem with a bleeding gum for the past few days. (I will never eat Sesame snaps ever again)
Not the best look spitting huge blood clots into a bucket.
As soon as my mouth stops bleeding, I'll be popping in to the shop with the fork to check fitment. It's at least 30min each way, so I would like to be not bleeding from the mouth at that point.
I have let the shop know, and they said they would hold my stuff for me, rather than refund me because I hadn't collected it for a few days.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Well, I want to ASAP, but I've had a nasty problem with a bleeding gum for the past few days. (I will never eat Sesame snaps ever again)
As soon as my mouth stops bleeding, I'll be popping in to the shop with the fork to check fitment. It's at least 30min each way, so I would like to be not bleeding from the mouth at that point.
I have let the shop know, and they said they would hold my stuff for me, rather than refund me because I hadn't collected it for a few days.
Ebola?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
"Bro, how many bolts did you put in that 737MAX back door?"
"3/65ths of farkall"
"... Divide by 7, multiply by..... Sounds right..."
True story... mate is an aeronautical engineer, his son is now a fighter pilot with Albo's airforce. Many years ago they were flying in South America and the son who was obsessed with all things aircraft asked his father how many bolts and rivets were needed to hold an engine on. Sure enough about half the fasteners were missing. Short interval while stuff was sorted. Mate wondered why the locals applauded when the flights ended safely.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
I have 1 set of Mitutoyo and 3 sets of Chi Cheap digital verniers from Ali/eBay, for our requirements, measuring BBs, seatposts, bars etc... the Chi ones are fine.
i have a terrible habit of using cheap verniers to scribe circles..... (i know...)

any cheap or decent ones with hardened tips? :) (ah shoulda searched for carbide tips)
edit: yeah.. should just AE it...

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ha... I was at my Dental hygienist this morning, been seeing her for a couple of years, usually every 4 months but my health problems at the beginning of the year delayed the treatment, apparently onset of gum disease... 95% of the population have it, most dont go.

She rogered my roots soooo hard, been bleeding gums all day.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That doesn't sound good, gums usually heal fairly fast. It might be time to go into the Docs.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment