Metropol (Whites Hill) DJ Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

STPryde

Likes Bikes
Hello all,
some may remember the thread we created a few months ago about the publicity our secret little jumps got from the local newspaper. If not here is the link
http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148853&highlight=metropol

We feared the council were going to knock them down, so we had a final jam there to bid them farewell, then left them to rest in peace.
But a few months down the track and no signs that demolition will be taking place. :D
Looks like this stubborn old set will be staying put for a while longer at least. Unfortunately in the few months that we were not down there riding and fixing them mother nature has attempted to reclaim our little strip of land. Massive flooding has stripped our lips of there smooth outer layers and the grass has crept back over. The good news is we're going to start fixing them again. We had a decent turn out at the jam so hopefully we can get just as many down to rebuild them, as i'm sure many people know, well maintained dirt jumps are hard to come by in brissy so we're not going to let these die.

Me and rohan will be heading down tomorrow to remove all grass, then we'll have a proper build day this sat, starting say 10am? And the following saturday same time. Anyone with any interest should come along, we will be bringing shovels and a barrow but obviously we won't have enough for everyone so we urge you to bring your own tools. Anyone there can have a say in steepness, gaps, sizes of rebuilt jumps so all can enjoy.

Reply or PM if interested. If you've never been there directions can be found in link at top. If we get a decent turn out we should be able to haul ass and get em back into shape.

my_bike

Likes Dirt
Hey STPryde,
I read the old thread and the articles and was shattered that you have some awesome jumps and they where planing to destroy them. Luckily for you guys they didn't bulldoze them down to the ground.

Funny how the greens (devil) thought you used machinery to build them but you guys stated that you would have to clear lots of land to bring in machinery. That's why the council might even spare your jumps.

Get some pics of your jumps as they are natures now.

STPryde

Likes Bikes
Yea we went down today armed with picks, shovels, rakes and a bone to pick with mother nature. We grossly overestimated how much thick nasty grass 2 people could clear in a few hours. It was just wayyy too hot and humid to spend a whole day down there, but this is what we got done.

Before

After

Before

After

We've done the biggest and thickest parts, so on saturday well smash the rest of it. Also alot of the lips arent as bad as we first feared. Most will just nead a resurfacing. Should have them up and running in no time.

Attachments

andrewG

Likes Dirt
yesssss!!!!!

been looking forward to this for ages!
i'll bring some friends and stuff.

Last edited:

norco01

Likes Dirt
When you guys get these up and running I'd be happy to come out and take some pics of you guys if you'd like. Im pretty local so its no problem for me at all, as long as it can be a sat arvo or something like that.

If you wanna check out some ive taken theres a thread in phat snaps atm of M.artin at coops skate park.

PM me if you guys would like some snaps..

STPryde

Likes Bikes
Do you really think this is the best course of action guys?
Yes, how many other well maintained, decent sized sets are there in brissy... very very few.

Well today 3 of us went down to ye old metropol for our "dig jam" armed to the teeth with shovels, picks, rakes and a big dirty barrow. Sadly, but not suprisingly, we were the only ones. :rolleyes:

Bit sad that 20 odd people can rock up at our metropol jam and ride them, but not a single person turns up at the dig jam. Ahh well :p

We didnt muck around though, fully de-grassed the rest of the set. Carpet has well and truely saved the lips. Some dont even need a resurface! They should be 100% good to go with another solid days work and a few days of carpet and water.

2nd upramp, probably the worst affected in the set.

2nd downramp and 3rd upramp, all held up pretty good.

3rd Jump

3rd downramp

After we have the set back up and running we've got a few plans for more jumps. The smaller line off to the left from the roll in is going to become a bigger set, it will be built up significantly. The almost 180 degree hip off the 2nd jump needs another day or two then it'll be up and running. Also a hip up the embankment after the 3rd jump will hopefully happen soon.

We will be holding another "dig jam" next sat 10am if anyone is interested. Hopefully we will have a turnout. Fingers crossed. :)

Attachments

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Used to live within 10 mins of there, and I was always looking for dirt to ride..funny how I find out about these a few months after I leave the area..

Shame really, if I still lived there I'd be down cleaning/sessioning with the rest of you..

Status
Not open for further replies.