Michael Moore: Dude, Where's My Country - Your thoughts...

Adi

It's my birthday!
Well my english exam is coming up shortly and I will most likely be writting about "Dude Where's My Country" by Moore.

For those of you that have read it what did you personally think about the strength of the argument and the way it is presented? Or just give your thoguhts in general.

Cheers!

Adin

W2ttsy

Likes Dirt
beware of michael moores writing style. he likes to present all the facts about one side of the story, but never really backs up the other half. and the other trick he uses is to show info that is out of context or not the complete thing.

still, read some of his other books, and maybe look at the two movies he made and try to pick up on his technique.

W2ttsy

®ider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
is your text 'dude wheres my country?' for this year?
what school do you go to?

n00b

Likes Dirt
I agree with the previous comments, you have to read carefully and draw your own conclusions from what he has to say.
BUT always remember that although Moore may sometimes be biased and appear to have vested interest, his bias PALES in comparison compared to the lies, bias, corruption and utter hypocrisy that the people on other side of this issue show the world on a daily basis.

Adi

It's my birthday!
I go to Morley High in WA. Nah it's not our text for the year, I just didn't want to do Broken Lives, by Estelle Blackburn, I found the text boring. So I decided that I will write about Dude Where's My Country by Moore.

So how do you think Moore persuades us to side with him on the issues. Perhaps through his waterproof statistics and maybe his sense of humor?

monkeymagic

Likes Bikes and Dirt
he presents lots of half truths, and shows everything that helps his argument so it makes people think that he is right, but if they heard both sides of the story in equal light then they would be able to decide for themselves, he guides people in their decisions about the subjects he portrays, it is a very sneaky way to get alot of dumb people (americans) (no offence intended) to go behind him!

Adi

It's my birthday!
monkeymagic said:
he presents lots of half truths, and shows everything that helps his argument so it makes people think that he is right, but if they heard both sides of the story in equal light then they would be able to decide for themselves, he guides people in their decisions about the subjects he portrays, it is a very sneaky way to get alot of dumb people (americans) (no offence intended) to go behind him!
Yeah but don't you think that all of the candidates for the presidential election are just saying certain things to get the votes (kind of like how moore is saying certain things to get you to take his side?), and then they'll go back to ripping off the poorer (less educated?) american public.

If you ask me what Moore is doing in the book is not to be all taken without a grain of salt, but what the media and the higher end people do in comparrison is more of a worry.

Oh yeah, on a side not about seeing things in 'equal light' - Bowling For Columbine, many people say it's not a documentary, to an extent there is no such thing. Every "documentary" has the good guy and the bad guy. Just to get you to side with the director. There is bias in most documenaries, maybe even in them wildlife ones where they show the monkeys running around and so on.

Ultimtely you have to read carefully and weigh things up, but Moore undoubtedly does do a good job in getting the reader to challenge the values of Bush.

®ider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Adin said:
I go to Morley High in WA. Nah it's not our text for the year, I just didn't want to do Broken Lives, by Estelle Blackburn, I found the text boring. So I decided that I will write about Dude Where's My Country by Moore.

So how do you think Moore persuades us to side with him on the issues. Perhaps through his waterproof statistics and maybe his sense of humor?
how do you choose what text to write about?
is this for yr 12 VCE exam?

Adi

It's my birthday!
TeamShore03 said:
Adin said:

how do you choose what text to write about?
is this for yr 12 VCE exam?
The upcoming exams are school exams, not the uni entrance ones.

For English we have 4 essays to write in 3 hours.

2 Unseen Comprehension Questions and
1 Print (Text of some sort - novel - expository text - short story)
1 Non-Pring (Film or Documentary)

Yeah, it's pretty dodgy, :?.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Adin said:
Every "documentary" has the good guy and the bad guy. Just to get you to side with the director. There is bias in most documenaries, maybe even in them wildlife ones where they show the monkeys running around and so on.
It's true, I saw a doco on the honey badger a while back, so sickeningly bias. This one badger seriously got about 89 minutes of screentime in a 90 minute doco! APPAULING! The snake that bit it only got a matter of seconds (apart from when it was being eaten) and all I learnt was it's name and it venom. Why didn't they show me it's entire lifecycle :p

Moor is a genius. He has taped into the idiot gene that seems to be spreading in plague proportions around the world and usually manifests itself in an "I hate America" kind of way. People displaying this phenotype tend to see themselves to be superior to all others as they are fighitng the powers to be.
You have to remember that Michael Moore is selling you his ideas, exactly as candidates do in an electoral campaign. He will not (or political parties won't) present facts that rebut their arguments unless they can counter them in a suitable manner.
It probably wouldn't be the best text to write on unless you were planning to challenge the one sidedness of his writings and maybe compare it to other such events like our current electoral campaign.

Dhfactory

Likes Dirt
moore is a guy saying his point of view, Imagine if everyone made a movie about what they thought.

I think it's good that he want's to speak his mind even thought i generally, disagree with everything that he says.

-Sean

chucK

Likes Dirt
I have not read it, but in my TEE English exam last year i used 2 texts that I hadn't studied in class. I did that for some of my essays during the year as well as my mocks. I found i did a lot better with the texts that i chose as i enjoyed them, had a bit more knowledge about the contexts and so on. Its also good because you form your own ideas about these texts, not regurgitate some 60+ balding year old librarians idea that you probably disagree with.