Michelin Wild Enduro issue [Warranty?]

Ponchoatdirtworks

Likes Dirt
It's the compound of the rubber that they're made from, and it's been a known issue for a while. Most people will say that they're good because they replace them before 500km and they chern that over in a few months.
First up - I have no knowledge of rubber or Michelin tyres.
Is the life of the tyre before perishing related to the compound or durometer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I've done a little looking around and finding numerous others with the same issue, with both their Enduro and DH tyre ranges... Some even after their first ride!

Apparently Michelin don't deal with consumers when it comes to bike tyres, and it's up to the retailer to lodge a claim - so the ball is in Pushys' court.

They'll probably say no dice as it's been over a year and it's a 'consumable' item, but it can't hurt to try considering the circumstances around lacking ride opportunities throughout the Vic Metro lockdown madness of the last two years.

Ponchoatdirtworks

Likes Dirt
I've done a little looking around and finding numerous others with the same issue, with both their Enduro and DH tyre ranges... Some even after their first ride!

Apparently Michelin don't deal with consumers when it comes to bike tyres, and it's up to the retailer to lodge a claim - so the ball is in Pushys' court.

They'll probably say no dice as it's been over a year and it's a 'consumable' item, but it can't hurt to try considering the circumstances around lacking ride opportunities throughout the Vic Metro lockdown madness of the last two years.
Might also be worthwhile in the future to ensure that your tyres are meticulously cleaned, oiled & kept in a dark place if the bike needs to be stored for an extended period.

I must confess that I couldn’t see myself doing that though.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Interesting pointers here on caring for rubber.

Interesting read - and these do certainly fall under 'lack of use', but to me it's no different to them sitting in a picking bay or bin within a warehouse for a year - which 9.9 times out of 10 probably wouldn't result in deterioration despite being a part of the same environmental changes as being in my shed.

Flow-Rider

Burner
First up - I have no knowledge of rubber or Michelin tyres.
Is the life of the tyre before perishing related to the compound or durometer?

Excess UV rays, oxygen and heat prematurely deteriorates rubber, but the quality of how the rubber has been constructed will have an impact on how long the rubber will last before cracking also, nothing lasts for ever, but it shouldn't crack in the first few months of owning a fairly new tyre either, with in reason. I've seen the exact same thing happen on some Mitus tyres, then I've got a schwalbe magic mary that's been on a bike, then removed and placed on a rack for about 6 years with not one crack in it, and it's been exposed to sunlight and air.

Ponchoatdirtworks

Likes Dirt
Excess UV rays, oxygen and heat prematurely deteriorates rubber, but the quality of how the rubber has been constructed will have an impact on how long the rubber will last before cracking also, nothing lasts for ever, but it shouldn't crack in the first few months of owning a fairly new tyre either, with in reason. I've seen the exact same thing happen on some Mitus tyres, then I've got a schwalbe magic mary that's been on a bike, then removed and placed on a rack for about 6 years with not one crack in it, and it's been exposed to sunlight and air.
Seems that the tyres in question are nearly two years old. Maybe they were old stock in the factory, maybe they didn’t move quick from the local distributor, maybe the shop had them too long.
I’ve never owned a Michelin bicycle tyre, so I have no anecdotes to add.
The trouble with forums though is that they generally only get the feedback of the zealots in favour & the butt-hurt against…