Mini DH bike opinions

moorey

call me Mia
Building up Felix (13yo) a more DH oriented rig. He loves his 140/160 spitfire for everything, from long trail rides to DH races.
When ever I try to even get him on my 160/180 Rune, he worries it’s going to be too heavy, and harder to manage.
Regardless, I’ve convinced him to let me build up a compromise bike to try out. It will have 180 rear, but can take either a 180 or 200mm fork comfortably.
Am taking him to both the national champs and Oceanias in Bright in 6 months, so will have time for him to test out and familiarise with a bigger bike on local trails.
My question is....:

180mm lyrik to keep weight down and the bike more manoeverable.

Boxxers, ideally air, but likely coil due to budgetary limitations.

Anyone with experience moving their younger kids into DH would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Cyclingdeal have 26 Boxxer WCs for $1300 if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Boxxers. Stiffen up that front end wet noodle feeling chigs. Only get the coil if you can a correct spring.
Why not just put him on the 222?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
You can borrow my 2011 Boxxer Race for a direct Lyrik comparison if you want.

Oddjob

You can borrow my 2011 Boxxer Race for a direct Lyrik comparison if you want.
Can you lend Felix a bike that isn't a filing cabinet with a thirst for blood under brakes?

moorey

call me Mia
Can you lend Felix a bike that isn't a filing cabinet with a thirst for blood under brakes?

Ima block you from this conversation if you besmirch oranges again.

To reiterate, not interested in a full DH bike. He wouldn’t get on it. He’s a competent rider who knows what he is capable of, and what he can handle.

I reckon I can keep this build under 16kg with BoXXers....closer to 15 with a lyrik. That’s not miles from his overbuilt Spitty.

Oddjob

This is what we’re talkin bout, @Oddjob...no garden variety citrus.
He doesn’t brake much, so I’m not worried about brake jack. Too small for me, unfortunately :(
https://m.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Frames,7/Orange/Patriot,6556
View attachment 348556
I know I give you heaps about Orange but I do in fact like them. They just scare me.

That is indeed a nice ride. Is that Vivid coil? Can you source him an air shock? Would be lighter and more progressive.

If you've got a suitable 180mm single crown air fork, go with that. Keep it light and nimble and then go for a full plow machine when Felix is bigger and stronger.

Given his weight you can probably go for lighter wheels (Flow Ex), cranks (XTs) and brakes (XTs).

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Patriot will be perfect!

Keep the coil. It’ll help build him stronk.

180mm lyrics will be sweet, he can get away without the DC’s for now.

Once he starts eatin roid sambo’s and bulkin up abit then look at a burlier spec for sure.

moorey

call me Mia
He wouldn’t sell shock. I have a CCDBA, monarch plus or fox DHX5 I can run. Springs for a 35kg kid are a PITA