Minions rolling off 721's.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a bit of a problem yesterday at Long Gully with my front tire coming off my rim. Happened twice, once with getto tubeless and once with a tube. I run 32psi in the front. It's really annoying, happenes in g-out berms. Any tires that won't come off the bloody rim?

Reece.

Likes Dirt
Had a bit of a problem yesterday at Long Gully with my front tire coming off my rim. Happened twice, once with getto tubeless and once with a tube. I run 32psi in the front. It's really annoying, happenes in g-out berms. Any tires that won't come off the bloody rim?
I run Minions of my 721's and have never had a problem in my time on them,
Hows the condition of the tyre?
Reece.

feltq650

Likes Bikes and Dirt
your tyre is more then likley screwed. Once it happens once it is more likley to happen again, new tyres might be the go

joey

Likes Dirt
I've run minions on 721's for 3 yrs and never had a problem.

How long ago did you go ghetto?

You may have damaged the bead when it 1st came off.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tire is pretty new. Been riden flat for probably 50m in it's life. Never had a problem with my 823, though that's on the rear and doesn't see the cornering forces that the front does.

I also should mention I'm over the 100kegs mark and have a particular penchant for unleasing on berms.

joey

Likes Dirt
There's your problem,it's best to leave the tyre pumped overnight (50-60psi)leaving it flat,and flipping it every so
often.That way your tyre /bead settles into position.That works for me.

The same thing happened to me.I road straight after a ghetto job and it rolled off, as soon as i hit a corner with force.
I took it home and did as above and have had no drama's since.

shane_2Kona

Likes Dirt
When you made it tubeless im assuming you used stan's or something similar? If you did then theres your problem. A substance in stans deteriorates the tyre and could cause this to happen, although it is quite unusual normally it causes blowouts. Have you checked the bead on the tire and made sure its all intact.

EDIT: for someone of your weight its probably best to run a slightly higher pressure, and yes, that tyre is probably buggered now that its happened once.

Last edited:

plum163

Likes Dirt
Dilzy. Silly question but are you using a rim tape. If not the inside diameter of you rim will probably be small enough that the tyre can roll off? If you are you can always try putting a thicker rim tape on so that it will force the tyre to stay on the rim better. Also you didn't try putting the tyre on with a car tyre lever or a big screw driver and stretch the bead in which case the tyre is stuffed?

jacob123

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha same,,,

could it be too low pressure?
32psi is a fairly normal, even high pressure for downhill.

i say new tyre might be the go, if you rear is in equally good condition maybe flip them around to see if the problems persist on the front?

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dilzy. Silly question but are you using a rim tape. If not the inside diameter of you rim will probably be small enough that the tyre can roll off? If you are you can always try putting a thicker rim tape on so that it will force the tyre to stay on the rim better. Also you didn't try putting the tyre on with a car tyre lever or a big screw driver and stretch the bead in which case the tyre is stuffed?
Yeah mate, using a layer of fibreglass tape, as well as the standard snap tape, then the bmx tube over that.

Negatory on the levers. I only use my hammers.

I think it's just the bead on 721's. Looking at them they don't really have a bead seat, very poor design. My 823 on the rear has a proper square bead seat.

.BP.

Likes Dirt
Thats because the 823 is a tubeless specific rim and the 721 isnt. Also i know a few people running tubeless on 721 rims with no problem, i would suggest a new tire or maybe even a proper stans rim strip.

mudmav

Likes Dirt
I run 721's and im a 140kg, i used to have heaps of probs burping and rolling standard minions off the rims, this is with the stans kit that you buy, In the end i bit the bullet and brought some tubeless front minions as the bead on the UST specific tyres is bigger and a different shape and i haven't had a problem since.