Minions

wombat

Lives in a hole
Well I just found out how much my current tyres weigh (Kujos) and I'm a little fed up with lugging that much bloody weight around.
At the moment I'm looking at the 2.35 minions as a replacement. A lot of my riding is on the street, but the rest is on loose rock or the classic sydney basin sand.

Who's got an opinion to share?

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Nice tyres. Will wear quite quick for plain street work though. Spec if you get super tackys or whatever they are.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
tyre selection

if you'd go to a 2.1 tyre i'd highly recommend Continental Explorer's. They wear very slowly and i haven't used anything that grips better in rocky/sandy surfaces. If you get the Pro version i think you're only carrying 515grams per end of get the supersonic version and it's about 400grams and end. If you must have a wide tyre Conti has brought out a couple of newie's this year, the Diesel 2.5 and the Gravity 2.3. I haven't used them personally but have only heard good things.

Bender is CRAZY

Likes Dirt
Just a question as I'm looking for new tires, what type compound out of the Maxxis range wears down the slowest? I have heard that Maxxis tires have different size measurments, like 2.5 is the same as a 2.2 Kenda or something?

Toby

wombat

Lives in a hole
Well I've taken some advice and provided that they're in stock I'll have a bling bling on the front and a high roller semi slick on the rear, both in a nice light single ply.

Slowest wearing compound in the wider tyres is 60a and yeah, maxxis are generally a little undersized.

DRUM

Likes Dirt
How much will the minions set you back? im interested in buying a new rear tire...so whats your oppinion on a the slowest wearing tire... sorry no mean hijack.

wombat

Lives in a hole
hijack away, i've done my thing. Um, I still think the wear life of Kujo's is unbelivable, but i want something a but lighter so they're going.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
IRC Trailbears if you want the long life of an IRC tyre. Similar tread without the masive sidewalls of a Kujo. 26x2.25 profile aswell! Goes nicely with an IRC ElGato on the rear. Both hard wearing.

bencam

Squid
I've been running the Slow Reezay (42a ??) Minions on my Stinky for about 8 weeks and have been VERY happy with the grip, feel and quietness of them. Mainly ride downhill though occasionally hit the tar for a short ride with the kids.

Only downer is the rear does show considerable wear compared to old Tiogas. The side knobs especially show signs of chunking though I'm a little rear brake happy down the rocky sections at times. Front looks like it will go 2 to 3 times longer than the rear - again this may be my riding style (or lack of)

Wear concerns aside I will definitely be back for more of these.

YMMV

wombat

Lives in a hole
Dammit Squid! Where were you BEFORE I placed the order! For the record, the bling bling and HR semi weren't available in the right casing, so I went with a pair of 2.35 highrollers. I'll see how they run for a bit, but they're cheap so I can always change them if I feel the need.

Tim

Likes Dirt
i have a bling bling / semi slick combo going and find it great for my hardtail. Mainly DJ / Skate park and BMX track with it. maybe try the Larsen TT next time, i think there pretty light also ?? might be a better choice for the rear.

Tim

wombat

Lives in a hole
Tim, do you have them in single ply or dual ply, because I for the life of me couldn't find them in single and 2ply is really getting up in weight again.