Missing Olympic talent squad no worries for Willett

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
After missing out on applying for the mountain bike talent for the London 2012 Olympics, Jodie Willett aims to put herself up for selection after winning the first national series event in Adelaide today. The 31 year old from Brisbane passed the early leaders Zoe King (Manly) and Tory Thomas (Mt Beauty).

Willett won by 30 seconds to beat former national champion, Thomas, after passing her just before the finals and fourth lap. Willett secured a new course record in 1 hour 33 min 42 sec. The fastest lap was early race leader, King in a time of 23 min 2 sec.

After placing second in last year’s national event in Adelaide, Willett was keen to make amends.

“I got second last year here last year and I really like the course so it was good to get the win,” stated Willett.

Evan after passing Thomas with just one lap remaining Willett did not rest.

“She (Thomas) is not the sort of rider you can pass and she cracks,” explained Willett. “I knew I had the win on the last climb.”

After missing out on being part of a national program called “Dirt Roads to London” Willett did not let it deter her from aiming at the London Olympics in four years time.

In the elite men’s cross country, national champion, Chris Jongewaard, secured a strong lead in the first of seven laps. Jongewaard eventually won in a record time of 2 hr 18 min 34 sec a clear 3 and a half minutes from his nearest. Brisbane’s Aiden Lefmann was in second place until the final lap when he was overtaken by Canberra’s young gun, Ben Henderson. Jongewaard claimed the fastest lap an astonishing 18 min.34 sec.

Jongewaard praised the local clubs and said he will take a well- deserved break from the sport and reassess his season.

An unlucky puncture followed by a crash saw Canberra’s Shaun Lewis exit from the race while in a fourth place.

Four hundred and eighty riders from all states in Australia have headed to Eagle Mountain Bike Park this weekend. Cross Country racing continues tomorrow with short course at 10 am and racing in the downhill gets underway at 1 pm. Two-time Downhill World Champion, Sam Hill from Perth, will race for the first time in Australia and for his first time in Adelaide tomorrow.

Click here for full results.

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia

Attachments

Last edited: