Missing rider

Go

Likes Dirt
Search underway for missing mountain biker http://ab.co/1DKIPGD #abcnews

Sad news. Hoping for a positive outcome.
Stay safe everyone and always tell someone where you are going and ride with someone when possible

takai

Eats Squid
More info from the Yarra Trails thread:
http://m.theage.com.au/victoria/mountain-biker-missing-at-kangaroo-ground-20140928-10n3rq.html

Would this be smiths gully? Fingers crossed for a positive outcome. I'm going to ride the full loop now.
just saw a post on this in Mullum mullum mountain bikers fb page if you want more detail. Hope he just got carried away and explored beyond his navigation skills and they find him safe.
Just did the full loop of Smiths, no sign of him. Apparently his phone signal shows him over Kinglake. He was a very experienced rider. Very worrying.
just had a look at his rides on STRAVA for (Paul Pagliaro, of Montmorency) and you can see a mtb loop he does from Smiths gully.

http://www.strava.com/activities/180861059

as we know we usually keep with known routes I'd bet he'd be on that loop somewhere in KL.

just spoke to cops and they have some other routes to look into as well so hoping he gets found.

guys if I didn't have kids to look after I could ride that route with ayups ... you never know. cops are waiting till morning.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Just saw this on the news this morning - terrible stuff. Hoping he has broken his leg and is sitting down somewhere cold and depleted.

Many spots in king lake where phones don't work I wonder

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Sadly this appears to be true. Below from ABC.net.au
Body of missing mountain biker Paul Pagliaro found in search near Kinglake
The body of a mountain biker has been found two days after he went missing near Kinglake, north east of Melbourne.

Paul Pagliaro, 47, failed to return home after setting out for a five-hour ride from Smiths Gully on Saturday.

Police tracked his mobile phone and focused their search around Glenburn on Sunday with the help of his family and friends.

Dozens of volunteers arrived at Glenburn CFA to assist with today's search, including staff from a nearby Department of Environment and Primary Industry office, friends and relatives.
Tragic outcome. RIP.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
So sad

Reminder to those of us who ride in remote places on our own to be careful.

So terribly sad

rotorub

Likes Dirt
So sad

Reminder to those of us who ride in remote places on our own to be careful.

So terribly sad
Yes very sad indeed thought are with his family and friends.
The police on ABC news breakfast stated according to where and how the body was found that nothing untoward appears to have happened and it was likely cause by a health issue.
Not riding much at the moment.
I normally ride on my own and it has made me think about riding my my own.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
slightly more detailed report.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-29/search-teams-find-body-of-mountain-biker-near-kinglake/5775124

Horrible news.
Hits very close to home as I often find myself headed out on 5hr+ training rides on my own.

I'm now researching a SPOT tracker and have discussed a more thorough check in and ride route brief with my partner.
Just doing the same. PLB might be a better choice and I am going to start using mapmyride and updating Facebook when I'm riding alone ( that would narrow down the search considerably).

Having said that - on steep access rd - if you are going to have an aneurism or heart attack or stroke, that's when it's going to happen - no phone attempt, so possibly it was very fast with faster discovery not changing the horrific outcome.

Thoughts and feelings with the family and those that know Paul on these forums

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very sad news. It does seem a spot tracker may not have saved his life.

How many of us give any thought to stress tests/ annual medicals (especially those over 40) that may show up potential health issues?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Horrible news and my thoughts go out to the family as well as those who knew him locally.

Definitely makes you think twice about how you spend your riding time.
I'd imagine many of us spend a lot of hours riding by ourselves and particularly in places that are fairly remote.
If something like this was to happen to me, I doubt anyone would know where to start looking.

It's the worst possible way to receive a wake up call, but I think there is a BIG lesson in this for me!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I agree it's very sad for the family but I won't change my riding habits. Hopefully it was quick and he was doing what he loved. But that's the risk of riding too. Especially solo. But this shouldn't make you start thinking of what you have in place in case of emergencies. YOU SHOULD have these things in place already if you do a lot of riding in remote areas by yourself! This has been talked about already in other threads but I weighed up Eperb vs Spot tracker etc and I now ride with a Sat phone that I brought second hand cheap off ebay. The plan is $15 a month. It also gives me my GPS location. Cheap insurance. And if I'm that buggered, due to say heart attack, etc, that I can't call someone then I probably can't use a tracker sadly.

slowmick

38-39"
Very sad to read of the loss of another two wheeled brother. Condolences to the family and friends.

It was only April when we lost an older rider up at Daisy Hill. Seems we need to take more care of ourselves and each other - doesn't have to be downhill or #enduro to have serious consequences.

For my group it has got the boys i ride with admitting that they should take solo rides more seriously.

Take care out there.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Very sad to read of the loss of another two wheeled brother. Condolences to the family and friends.

It was only April when we lost an older rider up at Daisy Hill. Seems we need to take more care of ourselves and each other - doesn't have to be downhill or #enduro to have serious consequences.

For my group it has got the boys i ride with admitting that they should take solo rides more seriously.

Take care out there.
Yep, absolute gutting news.

I think most of us are guilty of being blasé about solo riding. I'd say about 70% of the riding I do
Is solo, with little more than a helmet and a phone to get me out of trouble. Hopefully this tragic news encourages all of us to take some extra steps to ensure we all make it home after a ride.

R.I.P :(