Mixed drinks?

Tomas

my mum says im cool
All time favorite drink! Need a good, smooth Scotch though, otherwise its like paint thinners.

Speaking of hairs on the chest, here is a tale:

I worked in a quiet bar in Sydney for a year and in that time I had quite a solid clientele of hard-core happy hour drinkers. A group would regularly come in, they were all maritime types and worked at the local Whitworths store. One arvo they came in and wanted to get really loose, in fact this one guy called Dan actually bet me I wouldn't be able to make him a drink that would get him trolleyed! He was a larger bloke, like 120kg and a solid drinker, so I made him a few Rusty Nails, knowing full well they would get him o his way, but he was still sober as. Meanwhile, one of the kitchen hands out the back heard what was going on and called me aside, he was like, "Make him a knock-out". Intrigued by this fittingly named drink, I ask the recipe:

In a schooner glass, pour:

30ml white rum
30ml vodka
Fill halfway with beer
Top-up with apple juice

Well I made the drink, and iDan passed-out on the spot.

The following week I had the arvo off so went into the bar for a few drinks during happy hour. I asked the bartender to make me two, after the second one I was seriously plastered, went home and passed out.
I hate to call your BS, but that drink is hardly nudging 3 standard drinks...

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I hate to call your BS, but that drink is hardly nudging 3 standard drinks...
Well that's just the point isn't it, it doesn't sound like much alcohol but perhaps the combination of spirits, beer and apple juice is a pretty potent mix, maybe its absorbed quicker or something.. but its definitely deceptive.

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Tall glass
50% Lemon Ice Tea
35% shaved ice
15% Chivas Regal Scotch (or whatever scotch whiskey you can find)

Mix all in a shaker, pour into tall glass, dress with lemon, lime or whatever citrus you got.

Nice mid day quencher.

Any fruit drink can be substituted to the iced tea. It's just a summer thingy for me.

1st time I had this drink was awesome experience...

1 shot vanilla absolute vodka

ginger ale or ginger soda

1 or 2 wedges of lime

:)

tastes like ? caramel? coke, candy? very smooth!

fatnslow

Likes Bikes
*Bourbon. What kind do you drink? :)
I'll have Bookers please. Knob Creek if I am slumming

For a rather easy to drink different drink go for a JAFFA.
in a 7oz glass
1 shot of Tia Maria
Fill pure 100% orange juice - has to be pure juice to get the flavour

drink and repeat for effect.

FnS

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll have Bookers please. Knob Creek if I am slumming
Upmarket Jim Beam hey? Not a bourbon drinker myself but I've heard it's alright...

For a rather easy to drink different drink go for a JAFFA.
in a 7oz glass
1 shot of Tia Maria
Fill pure 100% orange juice - has to be pure juice to get the flavour
If you want even more jaffa flavour add some creme de cacoa and cointreau in equal amounts and serve on ice or in a shot :)

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I try to drink Blanton's privet reserve; it's by far the most interesting taste of any bourbon.

I can drink a lot and not have a hang over the next day.

If I am mixing its Makers Mark, or if I am poor it’s Jimmy.

Failing that I love Dry Manhattans, nothing gets me more excited than a well-made one!

Last edited:

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Manhattans, now that's a drink. Love the different levels of flavour, sorry RN didn't see this one before!

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got any pro tips on how to make one?
Practise, practise, a good vermouth and rye whisky to keep it traditional. You can use others but rye is the most common. Also dilution is very important so that you tone down the bite and get to taste the flavour, as well as not getting to pissed too quick ;)

Graunched

Likes Dirt
Jamaican Mules........... mmmmmmmmmm

Appleton Estate Rum: 50ml (dunno I just pour it)

Ice: Fill glass with

Bundaberg Ginger Beer: Fill rest of glass with

Lime juice: Dash of

= WIN

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got a quick shout out, if anyone else is working in bars (particularly metro), I've been trying to chase down a couple of vermouths and no BWS/Dans stocks them at all. Particularly, carpano antica formula, also some fernet branca. Anyone managed to chase these down?

On an unrelated note, I was searching for the NSW OGLR penalty outlay, want to shock someone I work with into stopping serving intox patrons, considering she can't afford to eat right now pretty sure she couldn't handle the fine (and losing her job).

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Oak barrel on Elizabeth Street? They may not have it, but will be able to point you in the right direction. They've helped me out before...

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Soooo this may or may not count as mixed, but I felt this needed a bump anyway!

Found out the latest Rekordelig flavour is due to hit stores in May: Mango Raspberry...mmm....

For those who haven't heard or tasted the Swiss cider, get on board they've been a huge success in Aus since arriving late 2009. So much so, that we sell out at my pub charging $12 a bottle BAM! (500ml bottles though) special mention to their Pear cider, and their Winter cider (served cold or warm).

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let's bring this baby back to life with a shout out to my new favourite watering hole on the Gold Coast- Black Coffee Lyrics

Gorgeous little laneway bar with a rustic/retro/hipster feel but staff defiinitely know their way around a bar! Had the best espresso martini of my life tonight :) and the boys are so lovely (and cute!)

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let's bring this baby back to life with a shout out to my new favourite watering hole on the Gold Coast- Black Coffee Lyrics

Gorgeous little laneway bar with a rustic/retro/hipster feel but staff defiinitely know their way around a bar! Had the best espresso martini of my life tonight :) and the boys are so lovely (and cute!)

Yet you snob the social event of the year... Hugh would be sad... if he had a soul