Mobile network availability in Whistler?

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Hey, sorry if this is a stupid question,
but my family is travelling to Whistler at the end of the year and they are wondering as to whether a phone brought in Australia with an Australian plan can be used in Canada to call people over here?

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I think from memory you need a phone that is tri band capable, I think most modern phones are but perhaps have a look at google and try and find out what the requirements are.

Otherwise I guess you just have to have international roaming on. You'll cop pretty high charges though I guess.

Calv

Likes Bikes
As dcrofty said, you'll just need a mobile that is tri-band capable and I think most phones made in the last couple of years usually are, but just call your phone carrier and they can double-check your model of phone and confirm. Also depending on carrier, you'll need to call them in advance to enable international roaming on your account. While you're on the phone to them, you may want to enquire into the international call rate! Mine was about $2 a min and approx 50c per sms with Telstra.

On Telstra, my phone worked fine over in Whistler when I visited and roamed with the Rogers network in Canada. I got coverage pretty much everywhere in Whistler, even out the back on top of Flute Bowl :)

I used my Aus mobile and plan when I visited, but if you're planning on living or staying for a while, you may want to look into getting a pre-paid account and sim with a Canadian telco.

dilzy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't forget when you roam on another network you get charged through the nose. My advice is to buy a cheap pre-paid phone for like $50 and just use that while your over there.

casey79

Likes Dirt
im with telstra and it worked fine over there. I only used it to text and bought a phone card to use on the land lines. way cheaper than using your cell phone all the time. Remember that you will also get charged for receiving calls while overseas.

rhysrhysbaby

Eats Squid
Call your mobile phone carrier and discuss it with them, they'll be able to confirm the prices, compatibility of phones and any other questions you have.

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys,
i will call the phone company sometime then, get some info on the rates.
looks like we will just end up buying a really cheap prepaid over there.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
a really cheap prepaid over there.
Just remember that Canada has a telecommunications duopoly (two companies control the market) so don't expect to be able to get cheap deals like we get here.

You pay to recieve SMS and voice calls too so any pre paid credit gets eaten pretty quick.

Sorry to be a downer but at least you won't get any nasty surprises.