Modified Giant Mini-DH (Father/Son project)

sketchylanding

Likes Bikes
Thought I might post my Son's new ride. This has been built over many months with the aim of A) Moving him to a bike up to the riding he is capable of B) Building a bike that suits his 12yo short and light stature and C) Teaching him workshop, engineering and bike building skills.

The frame was my old 06 Giant Reign. We cut short the seat-tube and removed the triangular brace to get more stand-over clearance. The rear triangle brace was machined slightly thinner to give slightly more clearance (to seat-tube) under full compression due to replacement shock planned. A slot was machined in the down-tube to route the derailleur cable internally. Bit of die-grinder action to ensure internal cable had a smooth path with no sharp edges. Glass bead blasted, painted using VHT spray can engine enamel and baked in an oven to harden. Also machined slots in old QR seat-post clamp to lighten and convert to bolt-up (this was just for exercise of using mill). Turned up bushes to adapt Fox float RP2 in place of stock Manitou Swinger. Fox shock still has 2" stroke but 12mm less eye-to-eye distance. This lowers BB height and slackens head angle to approx 65°.

The other notable mod was to the fork. His 35kg weight means that very low pressures are required for the fork and shock. At low pressures the stock negative spring compresses the fork using up the available travel. So I replaced neg spring with a shorter and lower rate one as shown in the photo. Works great now.

It was meant to be a budget build - partly his savings, and part birthday present, so most of the parts are second hand (some fellow Rotorburners may recognise their parts), but he still owes me lots of lawn mowings. It has been an awesome project, he has learned a lot and it is certainly a step up from the Anthem womens specific XXS he has been riding for a few years now. Unfortunately for him he broke his arm at Oxy just as we finished the bike so has not ridden it yet. Not badly but in a cast for 3 more weeks. So say g'day if you spot the bike out on the trails (esp. Oxy, our favourite - big shout out to the builders - love your work!)

DSC_1709.jpgDSC_1716.jpgDSC_1585.jpgDSC_1710.jpgDSC_1707.jpg

Frame - Modified Giant 06 Reign
Rear shock - Fox RP2
Front shock/fork - Fox Float 36 RC2
Handlebars - Funn Fatboy cut to 710mm
Stem - Funn Funduro
Headset - stock
Grips - SRAM (won in competition)
Saddle - Bontrager RL
Seatpost - Promax
Front brake - Avid Elixir R-SLC
Rear brake - Avid Elixir R-SLC
Cranks - RaceFace Evolve XC (machined-off granny ring posts)
Chainguide - SRAM X0 (MRP G2 mini)
Chainring - Raceface 36T
Chain - SRAM PG991
Pedals - Octane One Static
Rear derailleur - SRAM X0 9-speed short cage
Rear shifter - SRAM X0 9-speed
Cassette - SLX 11-28
Front hub - Octane One 20mm
Rear hub - DT Cerit (stock from original bike)
Front rim - Funn Xlrater
Rear rim - Funn Xlrater
Spokes - Stock DT DB from original bike
Tyres - Maxxis Ardents 2.4
Total weight - 14kg

aanon

Likes Dirt
Awesome, you don't need a 40 something year old son do you?
That has turned out killer mate, and executed perfectly.
There seems to be a lack of proper ,small mountain bikes which is a pity cos heaps of young fellas are getting into it.

willsy01

Eats Squid
So very awesome......I know as a 12 year old, i'd have been as happy as a dog with two dicks to have a steed like that.

sketchylanding

Likes Bikes
Looks great! Where do you get full length gear outer that goes from white to black to white again?
Thanks for the comments guys. Re the gearcable I simply used a bit of heat-shrink in the bottom bracket area to make it black and also add a bit more protection from chafing with suspension movement.