Modify stem to suit Knock Block

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone done this ? To my eyes the required slots don't look big enough to weaken the stem, and it would be nice not to be locked in to buying OEM stems

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
From memory Trek sells some kind of adapter to adapt aftermarket stems onto their frames. Claim to on their website anyway, don't know if Aussie LBS actually stock them though...

I quite like some of the Treks, but gawd that Knock Block setup puts me off. Just build frames wih fork clearance dammit!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
From memory Trek sells some kind of adapter to adapt aftermarket stems onto their frames. Claim to on their website anyway, don't know if Aussie LBS actually stock them though...

I quite like some of the Treks, but gawd that Knock Block setup puts me off. Just build frames wih fork clearance dammit!
It's not the fork, they do it to stop the levers smacking the top tube.

Procalibers don't have them.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Broke mine on the weekend - does it effect /affect the operation or strength ?
Forks can hit frame turning left but seems to stop the knock on the right .

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Broke mine on the weekend - does it effect /affect the operation or strength ?
Forks can hit frame turning left but seems to stop the knock on the right .
The stopper bizzo on the frame seems to be designed as a replaceable weak point so I expect it’s a visit to your Trek dealer to get a replacement.

My searching re the Trek adaptor turns up a few posts in other forums saying it’s crap.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
ive got it , you can order it through any trek shop , if you ring around, someone may have one in stock ,

its basically a spacer , remove the top spacer under the stem and replace it with that one , tighten it up to the required torque

mine works fine , just the same as the stock stem as far as I can see ,

my only complaint is what you have to pay for it , about $50 from memory

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends on the stack you need.
Just turn one upside down so they key together against each other. If you've got a spacer above the stem it'll work fine. I've used mine like this for 6 months after doing the same dance you're doing.

No problem or issue with the stem, fork, spacer or anything else... Just look at the keys and make sure they are spaced leaving the smallest space between them..

Once this is done you can fit whatever you want to on as the female part of the spacer will be able to meet with the bottom of the stem.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I took a Raceface Aeffect stem and made suitable notches using a hacksaw and file :oops: I made cutouts in an old SR fork steerer and used them as a template/cutting guide. Worked good.