Monarch Plus tune on Liteville 301?

DeBloot

Feeling old
Rather than derail another thread I thought I would try for some advice here

I'm on a tight budget to upgrade the Fox CTD which I've never been that happy with

I can't afford a Fox X2 so thinking a RS Monarch Plus is a good option
Now it's the tune that is confusing me and making me hesitant to take the plunge

I don't have the dough to buy LBS so it's 2nd hand or from the US
The only info I can find on the Liteville is it has a 'high leverage ratio' whatever the kcuf that means

I just missed out on an MM tune (from a Giant reign) and have found another M,L3 (new from the US)
Does it matter what tune the shock is, or can I just get it re-tuned for me and the bike when I get it installed
Or is there a specific tune I need to get or it will never feel right??

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have an MM tune on my 301. It was the only tune I could get at the time but it definitely works better than the DT Swiss shock that was on it. You should be able to get it retuned though if it's not right.

DeBloot

Feeling old
I have an MM tune on my 301. It was the only tune I could get at the time but it definitely works better than the DT Swiss shock that was on it. You should be able to get it retuned though if it's not right.
I've heard you say it's much better the the DT swiss on here and MTBR

Anyone know what the L3 means compared to an M?

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
I can't help out, but I'm keen to hear about any differences you find. I used to think I didn't like the CTD on my 301 - then I did a bunch of reading and watched all the vorsprung videos and tinkered a lot, and now I either don't care or don't know any different or managed to luck out and get it 'right enough'.

FWIW my CTD has a bigger than standard volume spacer, I've recently taken to slowing rebound down a bit which has helped a lot, and I run a bee's dick less sag than recommended. This balances well enough with the fork (Xfusion Sweep RC HLR) and it's all in a happy bouncy place right now. I've had a quick test fang on a 301 mk12 and thought the monarch was nicer, but I also had a pretty woeful suspension setup at the time.

Also curious about rockshox tune IDs, just because...

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
mm tune

I had mm tune monarch debonair plus on my 301 mk11 ,and was pretty happy with . Falls short on fast rough fire descent kind of trails ( ie flat out ) Otherwise is ok ish .

Where as current shock float x2 double barrel out classes it by long shot pedals up better and decents are awsome.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
SRAM are hopeless at providing information on what the various tune codes mean. L is a low comp tune, but there's no public info from SRAM on what the difference between L3 and L is. The pistons in every possible tune are available as a spare part so if all else fails, you can always open any shock up and install the "right" tune for you bike. The differences in tunes at the shim stack are often just a shim added or removed, so its possible to change tunes without buying a replacement piston, but there is virtually no information out there on what those differences are.

Best advice is to see if the 301 ever came with a Monarch Plus from the factory. If so, try to get the same tune. Otherwise, the MM tune is a good starting place for doing your own custom tune.