monsters and giants : a developing story

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, as you all know by my questions I have a new ride. I have picked up a very rare:flock: ac 3 from around 03, it has adjustable rear from 4•5 to 6 inch travel, pretty cool except that it will always stay at 6. My intentions are to change this from soy latte to espresso "double shot". My first change (except rear broken shock) will be to whack the monster t on as soon as I get a wheel to suit. More coming in the near future
$_74.JPGIMG_20150529_094816.jpg

John U

MTB Precision
I had an AC1 years ago. It was the first bike I built up. Note that the rear can be adjusted to 6" of travel the stock forks on this were 130mm of travel. It may throw the geometry out a bit and possibly beyond the limits of the frame if you go too big with the forks.

Nice chair by the way.

Building advice thread
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?7160-Advice-for-building-up-Giant-AC1

As it was when I sold it. Tried to get parts that matched the original spec where I could.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...nt-AC1-Med-(18)-1100-Excellent-Condition-Sold

Last edited:

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Hi john, at the moment the bike has psylos(I think) and feels rather xc. I am hoping that the marz fork might work out as it only has 170mm of travel, also the steerer clamp seems to move up and down. Does this mean that as long as I leave a bit over 7" of the staunchion I can clamp to raise or lower head angle? Sounds to easy, angle change at a slide of a clamp.

John U

MTB Precision
I dunno if 170's are a good idea on the AC. It's not all about the geo either. You need to think about the forces the front end of the frame is designed to take.

You'll probably get a variety of opinions but I'd say tread with caution. On lowering double crowns? I am not sure on that one.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Correct on crown lowering/raising. I've used this method many times over the years.

I agree with JohnU on fork height. That is not a dh frame...and it is not so young. Get a solid set of 130-150mm forks and you'll be sweet. I recall seeing these bikes with the single crown shivers back in the day. Let's not overlook he insane weight penalty of those monsters either. You may need to get a bit of purple anno on them asap!

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Those forks and that bike don't suit each other at all! To the OP if you're deadset on using those forks try source an old school DH frame!

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Those forks and that bike don't suit each other at all! To the OP if you're deadset on using those forks try source an old school DH frame!
That was the original plan but some SCUM broke into my place a couple weeks ago and stole my life. That is the only reason I settled for this bike(totally cheap), at least its sort of working. The fork that is on it now is to puny for a hack of my style. I know that it may seem overkill for the bike but until I get work I have no choice.

will2

Likes Dirt
Can't remember for sure, is it purple for strength and red for speed. I had assumed technology had overtaken strengthening by colour
Purple ano bends gravity resulting in 9.8m/s/s gravitational acceleration into something like 9.4m/s/s. Weight difference is not noticeable on when on the trail but will help with the crucial weigh in. if you need further clarification shoot Chopsticks a PM.

nzdans

Likes Dirt
Another vote for:

Don't do it bro, you'll snap the head tube clean off..

I know these frames/forks pretty well; OK I've not seen an AC crack the front end but I've also not seen someone try that hard to kill one either.

If you do it, be sure to always wear a full face.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Another vote for:

Don't do it bro, you'll snap the head tube clean off..

I know these frames/forks pretty well; OK I've not seen an AC crack the front end but I've also not seen someone try that hard to kill one either.

If you do it, be sure to always wear a full face.
Just reinforce the head tube with some zip ties.

Elbie

Likes Bikes
Just put them on and give it ago. The worst that can happen is the frame will snap, then you can just buy a new frame if you don't hurt yourself to bad.:Banane45:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Owned an AC1 for nearly 10 years, good frames (with a shocking [pun - giggity] OEM shock).

Before the end I put a 170mm Lyrik up front, great fork, that amount of travel is not suited for this frame, raised the BB up quite a bit and slackened an already laid back seat tube angle way to far to make it comfortable to ride any distance.

But, if you are going to do it, post some pics (and wear a full face).

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Owned an AC1 for nearly 10 years, good frames (with a shocking [pun - giggity] OEM shock).

Before the end I put a 170mm Lyrik up front, great fork, that amount of travel is not suited for this frame, raised the BB up quite a bit and slackened an already laid back seat tube angle way to far to make it comfortable to ride any distance.

But, if you are going to do it, post some pics (and wear a full face).
should be getting the 20mm wheel tomorrow, photos will be including. With a mug like mine people tell me I should have a ff helmet on all the time.