Mont24hr vs Scot24hr

justinb

Likes Bikes
Hi,

Had a quick search, couldn't see any clear postings on this.

What is the difference between the two events? why would you ride one, and not the other?

Looking to do a 24hr with some friends next year and we'll only pick the one event..

So... thoughts?

Cheers
Justin

peanut

Likes Dirt
The scott is in october this year at stromlo and is run by CORC.
It Will be a 2 course format like last year. All catorgories available

The Mont isn't till april next year and will be at sparrow hill. It is run by a private entity.
(who happend to run the first 24hr races whilst at CORC)
Not sure of the course format but all catagories bar solo are available(to my knowledge).

I think you will find both events very popular and given the spacing between them, alot of people will probably do both.

As far as courses go both will be fun, it comes down to personal preference, i like both locations.

Stromlo has a fair bit of climbing but your rewarded with fun descents, sparrow is smooth, fast and flowy with small climbs.

Last edited:

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
24hour in Sydney

If you are keen to do a 24 Hour in Sydney we will put one on in February. Still sussing out the details atm but the "trailer" is on our website.

DemonsMoose04

Cannon Fodder
From what i understand last year the scott was run on a double loop hourglass style course while the mont was held on one longer single loop course and therefore had to have fewer riders... mont at majura is much more densly covered with pine trees but the scott out at stromlo because of the fires is much more open to the elements etc. both great rides!!

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
Do Both

The Scott is massive and has twice as many riders, solo's and pairs and threes. It's run on the Stromlo dust bowl, but the course is awesome, with an fun downhill section.

While the MONT is more subdued, only half as many entrants, and only teams of 4 and 6 and was at Majura last year, Sparrows next year. The camping last year was right on the course, which was sweet.

The course at the Scott is twice as long as the MONT, but it's two seperate loops, so you get some variety.

I found the MONT more subdued, more chilled out, but the Scott is the "big event".

If your in a team of 4 or 6, do either event, they are both fanatasic, or better yet, do both, they are both awesome IMO and spaced 6 months apart. If you wanna solo, pair, three or corporate 10, then the Scott is for you.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
The biggest difference in my eyes is that the scott is a race, the mont isnt. The scott has alot of prize money for alot of catagories and has titles up for grabs and so alot of people take it seriously. The mont on the other hand is all in teams of 4-6? and is a much more social ride (even though there is a bit of cash up for grabs. The other difference is location. i know corc wont like this, but stromlo isnt the nicest place to be due to no trees and increased dust and wind, majura and now sparrows are nice places to be. However, now that the mont is at sparrows its garenteed to be on the boringest track you will ever ride (IMO) whereas stromlo is pretty fun.

I couldnt say which one to do but there is my opinion of both.

...jim

skanky media ho
Gee, some people are never satisfied! Do both. Each will leave you with a different experience. Both will be different to last year. I've done 13 24hr races now, and no two have ever been the same (even on the same weekend, on the same course, with the same riders!)

As to conditions, it's the curve-balls that make mountain bike events! My favourite lap of any race anywhere was at 11pm in the pissing rain when I could hardly see, didn't know where I was in relation to anything, had no riders around me and could only wallow forward around a tricky track I didn't know.

Nirvana!

Mont24Team

Likes Bikes
Mont 24 at Sparrow Hill.

The MONT 24 is a teams only event - namely teams of 4 and 6 in male, female and mixed categories. We are also considering whether to create a 'cruiser' team category for up to 10 riders which will have a very interesting twist to it. But it's early days so we'll let everyone know soon enough. Singlespeeders are also well catered for.

Paul has created a 15km loop which rides very nicely indeed, and covers much of the popular tracks as well as bits you have never seen. If you like a flowing course, we think you'll enjoy this one just fine.

The MONT will have a different vibe to it... deliberately so. It may be a little more chilled or old school but I expect there will be plenty of racing to be had - either for podium or bragging rights back at the team tent.

And don't forget that the weekend after the MONT 24 is the Solo only 24 Hr Championships at Majura. Why not come to Canberra for one or both events (as a team member, a solo rider, volunteer, supporter or spectator) and in between time, sample all the other great tracks in town. I'm doing the Scott and the Mont.

Get amongst it, have a good time and enjoy Canberra's fantastic trails - Stromlo, Sparrow and Majura all offer great variety.

Last edited: