More bikes and a project

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm kind of just adding bikes as I aquire/sell them now. The rate seems to be quite increased at the moment. Anyway, first post contains a stack of bikes from my past. Adding bikes in ongoing posts. I think for an executive summary I'll put a list at the start of this post now.

DSC_0703.jpg

.243 Racing ‘DH’ frame with drop-out plates and MTB BB
DaBomb/MTX33 wheelset
Saint/X9/e*13 drivetrain

Squid rig #2

DSC_0361.JPG

DSC_0713.JPG

Commencal Supreme (160mm)
DHX3.0

Squid rig #3, craaaack

DSC_0802.JPG

07012012492.jpg

Giant STP (who hasn’t had one?)
RS Argyle
729s laced to Hope Pro II
Elixers

Siq whip. Did excellent skidz and survived quite a number of both DH and street days in different configurations.

21012012519.jpg

Glory w/ DHX 3.0
WTB/Saint wheels
Solo Air Totems

Squid rig #4. oink oink

18052012719.jpg

Marz WC 888 TiRC3

WP_20130629_001.jpg

Commencal MetaAM
Float 32s/RP23
Hope Evo Race brakes
Reverb

craaaack. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

WP_20130907_12_54_52_Panorama.jpg

Charge Duster SS
NS Fundamental on Ringle Disc-Jockeys
Hope X2 brakes
Some carbon

Hands down this was my best purchase. Only thing I didn't get rid of when I went to Canada. So much stoke.

Last edited:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The polygons are fairly underrated.

Ive had 2, a 6 inch travel bike and a 29er hardtail, and they both worked well. Would def consider another if the Enduro got sold..

Did it come with the Schwalbes? That was the one thing I disliked. The "performance" Nobby Nics. They were terrible...

Oh, and mine was called the Polywaffle, mostly due to the colour, but prob due to the rider!

Sanders.

Likes Dirt
The polygons are fairly underrated.

Ive had 2, a 6 inch travel bike and a 29er hardtail, and they both worked well. Would def consider another if the Enduro got sold..

Did it come with the Schwalbes? That was the one thing I disliked. The "performance" Nobby Nics. They were terrible...

Oh, and mine was called the Polywaffle, mostly due to the colour, but prob due to the rider!
I have a DH2.0, and an AXX around the corner, and Polywaffle is definitely the term that gets used whenever anyone asks or talks about them. Haha.

Ivan

Eats Squid
It's great to hear your thoughts on the bike BigHair. :thumb:

I would make the comment though that a static 72° degree seat angle on a 160mm rear travel bike is not steep IMO. The fact that your seatpost also has a rearward offset will mean that your effective seat angle is even slacker than 72°. The seat angle probably pays large part in the "super wandery" feel on climbs.

These bikes are awesome value.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's great to hear your thoughts on the bike BigHair. :thumb:

I would make the comment though that a static 72° degree seat angle on a 160mm rear travel bike is not steep IMO. The fact that your seatpost also has a rearward offset will mean that your effective seat angle is even slacker than 72°. The seat angle probably pays large part in the "super wandery" feel on climbs.

These bikes are awesome value.
Crikey. I wrote this after having averaged about 4hrs sleep a night over 2 weeks. I only just realised how many 'supers' I fit in there.
I just did a quick google, you're right, 72° is a touch slacker than the batting average. Commencal Meta AM is 73°, RM Slayer is 74.7°, SB66 is 71.7°. I don't think I'll complain about the seat angle though, I'm pretty darn happy about the cockpit length.

First thing to go. Useless tyres. They came stock on my Meta as well. The knobs fall off just cornering...

Last edited:

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahh I remember seeing you at Castle Hill on that Commencal Supreme.. cool looking bike (from afar)

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alrighty, so I haven't slept much this week and I've just thrown together the new steed. I said I'd be throwing up a review of my Polygon Collosus AX3.0 as there isn't much literature on them. What better way to procrastinate my final uni assessment before graduation than to write out a heap of bike related banter?

So I had this rig (it looked very different when I got rid of it). A bike that rode like a dream; it pedaled great, cornered great, soaked up the rough amazingly. It was super poppy and I spent most of my trail time in the air on it. It honestly was an absolute ripper 'fun' bike. But it became unsuitable to me. I've just wrapped up a four year study stint and have aspirations to relocate. Part of this means I want to cut from 4 bikes down to one bike. I had a couple of niggles with the BB system and 32mm forks of the Commencal so I made the decision to get rid of it. My DH bike (Giant Glory), XC bike (Charge Duster) and roadie all remain disposable in terms of value so I'm holding onto them for the last second. Anyway, when the Commencal finally sold I set about to replace it with something. The criteria was basically built around ease of conversion to 1x10 and a stiff front end (not 32mm), I mean this bike has to cover DH duties when I do finally dispose of my Glory.

In the end I nabbed a Polygon Collosus AX3.0 from Bicyclesonline.com, much to the dismay of my LBS who offered me a heavy discount on a RM Altitude..... after I'd already paid for the polygon :drama:. Anyway, I came to not regret they purchase anyway, but LBS owner dubbed it the "Polywobble". This quickly caught on amongst my ride buddies. Oh well.

WP_20131015_20_43_24_Pro.jpg

The to-do list includes black-ifying the cable outer, chainguide and tyres, destickering the rims, trimming the steerer tube and maybe swapping that seat out (or black-ifying the red). No lever for the dropper, but I do supposedly have one kicking around somewhere... No cash for the bikes at the moment, but should some come my way I'd probably swap the rear derailleur and chainring out for a clutch + wolftooth setup and shift the guide to the Glory.

Spec:
Shock: DHX Air 5.0 Kashima
Fork: 36 Talas R
XT everything bar the X0 guide
Mavic Crossline wheels
DMR Defy Stem (looks tits)
Sunline V1 bars

There's been some trial, trail and error in the parts list. Wheels were my old Hope/729s, but these are lighter, I've got to these Time Z's instead of the spindley carbon Time Atac's I had on there, homebrew mud guard manditory in Tassie. Some things I really like about the frame: Everything is stamped on there (eye-eye of shock is written on the mount, sizing for BB/Brake mount/axle etc all written on frame), not necissary, but I can see its use. I like the carbon mudguard - Commencal Shock was a nightmare (both Commencal's I've owned actually. The Supreme's shock ate mud like no other). The welds are all huge - perhaps not the work of art as seen on brands like Santa Cruz or Nukeproof, but definitely beefcake. I should have weighed it as I was building it up, but the frame didn't feel too heavy. The complete bike does, but that's mostly due to the seatpost and irresponsible tyre choice :p.
Other comments: The cable routing is pretty nice for the most part, except its a little messy as it passes under the BB (similar to new-age Glorys). Nothing is retained there due to the linkage, seems to be asking for trouble, but I haven't had an issue yet. I might have a play around with possible alternate pathing at some point. Additionally the shock has really poor access. The linkage components also don't look as spiffy as other brands - this isn't something I really give a shit about though, Polygon isn't exactly a boutique brand. The linkage is highly functional in my opinion. This bike pedals really well - I've had a lot of internal debate over whether this pedals better or worse than the Commencal Meta AM. I'm leaning towards worse but they are so close that its hard to tell, and they both ride very differently and feel very different making judgement hard.

As far as ride quality goes, I'm pretty darn happy with the rig. Compared to the Meta AM its super stable, perhaps not as playful but I think thats more to do with how the linkage works than anything. I had a little ride on a Banshee Legend MkI once and then went for a little ride on a TR450. The comparison feels similar to that (Commencal = Legend, TR450 = Polygon), one bike super playful, other super stable and grounded, but both awesome. This is really subjective, but I think I had more fun if I was dicking around on the Meta AM (all I did on the trails was bounce around, air, be an idiot etc) but I do feel faster on this. Just to add to the suspension comments, I thought I wouldn't use the travel adjust on the fork, but I actually do a LOT. Its a little wandery up really steep, straight climbs at full travel, its a bit much bike for XC (for me anyway, as I'm used to the rigid Charge) or stuff that isn't steep gnar, however, its pretty much perfect with the travel on the 120mm setting. When the speed goes up or the trail drops off the full travel feels great.

This kinda leads into the geometry, which is different to other modern AM bikes. It falls basically inside the cookie-cutter norm. Steep seat angle, longish reach, short chainstays, slack head angle (its slacker than my Glory). It feels a lot smaller to ride than other bikes (mate's RM Altitude and Slayer feel much, much bigger) but its really comfortable. Off the saddle the bike feels really snappy. I think the reach is a little shorter than the Commencal, coupled with the super short chainstays its all go, really. I don't think its the geometry that keeps it super grounded as much as the suspension platform and suspension products.

Now, suspension products are kinda seperate to the bike - its an outside influence. I've said this before but I've never really had a good time with Fox. Always some crappy stuff wrong with it. In this case the adjustment range just isn't useable. The rebound (both fork and shock) goes between slow and "holy shit is this ever coming out". As someone who likes a pretty fast return it makes me cringe. It has less stiction than the shock and fork on the Meta, though. They were bloody well dry out of the box!

Anyway, on the whole I'm pretty stoked on the bike. Its the first bike I've owned that's been truly silent, despite some serious trail hooning. I've decided that point alone is so calming and refreshing. Pretty stoked on how it rides. She'll get a whole 'nother level of testing when I beat her around Queenstown in a month!

Oh, to anyone wondering, the bicyclesonline crew are actually pretty good to deal with. I've dealt with quite a few shops, importers and distros over the years and they have definitely been one of the better experiences.

Last edited:

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New bike:
Wanted to take a picture before I took it riding and got it 'conditioned', but failed at that. Only got a shoddy night pic after the build. Cleaning it for a photo is not worth it now!

WP_20140116_22_27_20_Pro.jpg

Banshee Legend ft. RS Boxxer WC and Vivid R2C
ProII with 721/MTX33
Elixers
Saint & LG1
Bitsa drivetrain
16.8kg

This bike has replaced the Glory. Wish I did it years ago.

Few points on spec:
- This is the first wheelset I've built. Held up pretty good on the first ride and I learnt a lot of lessons!
- These are the same brakes that have been on the Supreme, the STP, the Glory and now the Legend. Still flawless, feel brilliant and pull me up well. Have yet to break a reservoir (have done Hopes) or bend a lever (Hopes might be noodles?!?). Fuck Avid haters, so stoked on these brakes.
- This bike has ended up being a very cheap swap from the Glory. Fork lowers need work before I'll be happy though. Mad shoutouts to some particular folk (Welshy being one, unsure if other mates have accounts here).
- That weight might come down a bit if I tidy some things up.

This bike is mint. Only had a short ride so far, but holy shit its brilliant. I think this has ended up being the same head angle as the Glory (mostly due to A2C of forks, I want to try and measure it tomorrow) but it rides so much better. I was a little anxious about air suspension, but this feels really, really nice. Its no plow bike but holy shit its like floating on a buttery cloud through the gnar. Somehow it remains really spritely - its probably the most playful bike I've ridden or owned (yes, even more so than the Meta, which is now 1st runner up).

Could probably use new grips, new tyres and definitely a new derailleur/shifter/cabling, but eh, whos got money for that. Moto grips are whats up!
Might try and get that weight a little lower, but that would require dollars and/or a hacksaw.

Last edited:

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The YOLOLhorse/Ducati transformer I only owned for one weekend.

I needed to build up a DH bike real quick while I confirmed what I was doing for the upcoming year. I just wanted a bike to ride in the short term. I've now sold it and bought a long-term Whistler Season bike. The Sunday was great. Fantastic to ride, awesome suspension design, really light, popped manuals like a boss. Plowed rocks/Illinbah but was also surprisingly nimble.

I'm really glad I got the opportunity to ride this piece of MTB history. There is a definite reason that they are so highly regarded, and a definite reason that they are so long lived.

WP_20140202_16_44_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20140202_16_45_06_Pro.jpg

Sunday Factory
Boxxer WC
Ti RC4
Hope Pro II/MTX33/Ex721
Saint Cranks
Elixer R
X9 drivetrain

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Holy shit - you must have the attention span of a gnat. That looks like a different/new bike around every 4 months or so?

I've got a neighbour who buys road bikes like that but he's got a family and an income enough to run 5 households.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Holy shit - you must have the attention span of a gnat.
Hahaha, thanks for the laugh.

Nah there is actually reason behind the madness.

I had the Glory sitting idle for 2 years in the shed getting neglected, I think I used it about 4 times in that period. I took it and the Polygon (which at the time was only a handful of rides old) to Queenstown for a ride.

I realised while I was over there just how much fun I have riding DH, so upon return to Australia I started riding DH again.

I then schemed to take a gap year overseas. My first plan of attack was to go back to Queenstown and to take the Polygon. In the meantime I wanted something a little slacker than the Glory. The Banshee belonged to a mate of mine and had sat under a bed for a very, very long time so I got it for a steal. I figured I only had a few weeks in Australia anyway.

I got geared up to sell everything but the Polygon (to go to Queenstown) when the mate that was going with me piked. I was left with parts of the DH bike, the Polygon and my Charge (which I will never sell. It's my most favourite bike). I was stuck because I then had the opportunity to go to Whistler instead of Queenstown (the mate who piked couldn't afford the up front cost of Whistler).

Anyway, decided on Whistler and I've now sold the Polygon. I then decided that as much as I loved the Sunday (I owned it for two weeks and rode it once) that I'd rather have a fresher DH bike to last out the season in Whistler. I picked up a new DH bike on Sunday morning and the Sunday sold on Sunday night (harr harr harr).

So yeah, it's been pretty wild, 4 DH bikes in the space of about 4 weeks. But there certainly has been method to the madness. I'm really happy that it's all sorted.

A few people have gotten bargains - my Polygon only had a dozen or so rides on it. The Glory/Banshee/Sunday all were priced for rapid sales since the Banshee was supposed to be a temp bike and the Sunday had to fund the new bike. And in the end of it I'm set up for a year or two in British Columbia now.

Last edited:

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
That 66rcx2 is still going strong. Bought it off my mate for $60, who bought it from you
It is a little bit frankestined though with 150mm travel dual air instead of 180mm *2 springs...

Last edited:

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That 66rcx2 is still going strong. Bought it off my mate for $60, who bought it from you
It is a little bit frankestined though with 150mm travel dual air instead of 180mm *2 springs...
Haha, frankenforks are always great. Its amazing what you can get to work.
That's actually great to hear. While I had them they were awesome, quite heavy though. To date they're on par with the purple Argyles for most reliable fork.
I actually sold them to get a pair of 36s that I had on the Supreme for a while. They were unreliable to say the least, catridge crapped out first ride and immediately required service love.
It'd be interesting to see where a lot of my stuff has ended up actually. There sure has been a lot over the years.

I'm actually pretty stoked for the guys who got the Legend and the Sunday. Both were awesome. Legend has still got to be the most playful yet effective bikes I've ridden.

Last edited:

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Haha, frankenforks are always great. Its amazing what you can get to work.
That's actually great to hear. While I had them they were awesome, quite heavy though. To date they're on par with the purple Argyles for most reliable fork.
I actually sold them to get a pair of 36s that I had on the Supreme for a while
Extremely heavy but so so so smooth. Better than any fork I've felt. I'd say they've just worn in if anything!

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ol' mate insisted of photos yesterday before she got beat up and ugly.

Santa Cruz V10c.4 (aluminium swingarm)
Vivid Air R2C
Boxxer World Cup
X0 Drivetrain
Saint brakes
Saint cranks
DT440/FR600 Wheels
Deity/Spank/THE cockpit

Dope! Whistler season bike found. Check.

Two rides on her now, so stoked. Suspension set-up on this bike is whack though.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really just need somewhere to post the spec so I don't forget what this crapper is! I picked up a commuter for the scary, icey streets of Calgary - full of massive 'trucks'.

My new death machine:

WP_20140317_19_36_42_Pro (1).jpg

Life expectancy has already halved.

Frame: Pure Fix Steel frame 54cm
Fork: Pure Fix steel
Headset: Chris King Nothreadset
Wheels: Pure Fix 80mm deep dish single speed wheels
Bars: Bontrager Race 42cm
Stem: Bontrager Race 90mm
Tires: Bontrager R1
Cranks: Bontrager 170mm
Pedals: Rat Cage Gold
Tape: Bontrager
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Seat: Bontrager RXL

Oh yeah, I'm in the wilds of Calgary now...
The front door:
WP_20140317_19_34_46_Pro.jpg

The backyard:
WP_20140311_001.jpg

The countryside (just out of town). First pic is looking out over ~2600m mountains (Valley floor is ~1300m above sea level). Second pic is taken looking at a lake at ~1700m. That peak in view is at 2800m. Wow.

WP_20140315_19_18_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20140315_19_26_04_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
.243 was the best.
It's actually the ride experience I miss most.
I say ride experience cause there's no way in hell I'd go back to that particular frame. There are some times when I really would like to bash down a DH track on a single speed FR hardtail though. They're heaps of fun.

Bike I have the most regrets about selling is the STP. Or maybe the Polygon. Hmm. Both were pretty dope!