More info on the Ohlins rear shock

.dan.

Likes Dirt
No thanks. Even if this shock was suitable for my bike I would still take my Double Barrel Air. By reading the article they've tried to make us think that all the adjustments seen on double barrel's and other shocks are too much and unnecessary. No way would I only want three preset HSC settings and no HSR adjustments.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally, I like this more than the CCDB for a number of reasons. However, neither have bottom out resistance control, which I find useful. So I'll stick with my RC4.

willsy01

Eats Squid
No thanks. Even if this shock was suitable for my bike I would still take my Double Barrel Air. By reading the article they've tried to make us think that all the adjustments seen on double barrel's and other shocks are too much and unnecessary. No way would I only want three preset HSC settings and no HSR adjustments.
Yeah.....what would Ohlins know about suspension technology anway?

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Ohlins is just getting with the idea that most people are confused by suspension. Fox got this idea a long time ago and thats why they have bottom out control.

haltz

Likes Dirt
Yeah.....what would Ohlins know about suspension technology anway?
Oath! I honestly doubt half the people that run ccdb's have them set up to their full potential just because there's too much mind game in muckin around with it, I'm picky as all hell with my suspension and when I got the CCDB I spent one day setting it up and havnt touched it since so what I said includes me no doubt. If I can get one of these ohlins shocks for my bike ill give it a go for sure! They're mx suspension is absolutely unbeatable, even in the tuning stage I've had to spend over a week with a tech head with Showa and rg3 but the 4 years I spent on tm's with ohlins I had the things beyond dialled in less than a full weekend and I think that's what they're aimin for with their mtb products by the sounds of it

MARKL

Eats Squid
My interpretation was different - basically that they tuned the shock to suit the frame/suspension and then gave you a smaller range of more useful adjustments to finish the fine tuning. Lets face it, if you have an adjustment with 20 clicks, once you have finished playing with the 20 clicks and set it up as you like it, you only ever adjust it a up or down a couple of clicks compensate for track/conditions. I also like that they have turned the adjusters to face outwards - looks heaps easier to adjust than some other shock/frame combos.

morticus

Likes Dirt
I said it in the other post, they look a shit load better in these close up pics than i thought before. Change that hideous yellow spring out for a Ti one and boom, SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
id say its tuned for and only for the demo (at the moment) and more or less like "blackbox" sort of technology may feed down to the punter in the next few years and dare say definitely be model specific how else would they be able to remove a lot of the adjustability

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think what some of you guys are failing to remember is that the one of the main reasons CCDB and the RC4 have some wide level of adjustment is because they have to work on a wide range of bikes and a for a wide range of riders. If the shock was only going to go on one frame then it would be easier to have a short amount of adjustment aka the Ohlin and it will probably be fine but when the shock is expected to work for say a Sunday and a v10 with a differing levels of riders then that is not really possible.

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Looks much better in gold than the yellow in the other bike shots.
I have to agree though the range of 3 is too small for someone wanting to get 100% out of a shock. It is clearly going to be tuned to the bike so you don't need 20clicks but you also miss out on the fine tuning.

Probably brilliant for 80% of riders, a custom type tuned shock is going to be better or equal to a well tuned rc4 but tuning much simpler so its a great idea for many riders. I like fine tuning, in this situation I'd go with a tekin tuned rc4 or go with a BOS the stoy will come with the same tune detail but it has I think 5-6clicks? So more depth for fine tuning.
That said the shock has some impressive things the others don't offer and its hard to dismiss their heritage. I'd love to see them increase the HSC to 6 clicks I think that's simple enough for most and allows fine tuning.

I like bottom out resistance it does help but its only really helpfull on some frames, bikes that follow a progressive curve doesn't really need it at all. Again with rebound I have no interest in a high and low speed, one rebound that is speed sensitive is plenty. No need for dual adjustments, they complicate tuning for a very minor if any benefit.

Glad to see the shock in gold not yellow. The spring still not a fan but aesthetics can take a back seat for performance.

Last edited:

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
This::thumb:

I think what some of you guys are failing to remember is that the one of the main reasons CCDB and the RC4 have some wide level of adjustment is because they have to work on a wide range of bikes and a for a wide range of riders. If the shock was only going to go on one frame then it would be easier to have a short amount of adjustment aka the Ohlin and it will probably be fine but when the shock is expected to work for say a Sunday and a v10 with a differing levels of riders then that is not really possible.