More pics of the 04 Demo 9 pro (bighit)??

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
RaID said:
CHEWY said:
very nice, is it just me or does that look like it has URT ?
no its not as the bottom bracket isnt on the chainstay
plus the wheel doesnt follow the same path as a single pivot
The wheel does (or might as well) follow the same path as a singlepivot (albeit with the pivot in a location that isn't necessarily the same as the main pivot on the current linkage). Until you start incorporating pretty drastic backwards (eg Canfield's Fatty Fat Fat) or forwards elements (none that I can think of, maybe a Giant NRS), most bikes may as well be singlepivots for their axle path.
yeh its pretty much the same
what i meant is that the wheel pivot location wont be in the same spot as the shock pivot location if you get what i mean

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
peachy said:
OMFG OMFG OMFG OMFG THOSE ARE THE HOTTEST BIKES!!!! u reckon those bikes would be cheaper or more expensive?
they are hot!! although i don't know marzocchi are doing by makin the stantions silver, looks gaybo - althoug if its some material that improves the performance than go for it
those dj's look like they have more travel
the dj has steel stanchions

i dont like the polished look either it reminds me of the cheapo forks
that you find on $200 bike their stanchions stand out like dog's balls

Rik

logged out
I think the 24" is a good idea, it has its ups and downs, but it's good to see a company taking steps forward.

As much as I hate special ed, they can make some nice bikes.

S.

ex offender
Kram said:
Socket said:
If you look at any full-linkage bike... they all work like that. It's just the difference in pivot placement that makes all the diff.
I disagree. A regular 4 bar linkage pushes the shock from the top linkage plate. An intense and a norco and a big hit are all alike enough to require patent rights from Special Ed, because the forces are all applied in the same manner. You can position the pivots wherever you like within this paralellogram, but you will still be infringing on their patent. My first generation chromo FSR had the pivots in vastly different places to the current big hit, but it was still a 4 bar.

The action between a 4 bar and a VPP are very different. It's the "inner link" for want of a better name, that applies the force to the shock. And this one here is significantly more like a VPP than a 4 bar-horst linkage.

Then again, maybe I've smoked too many drugs :lol:
The difference between a VPP and a Horst-link is nothing to do with which link actuates the shock. The Santa Cruz Blur and the Intense Spyder (or XVP, whatever it is) both actuate the shock via the top bar. The real difference between a Horst-link (and most linkage bikes) to a VPP is that with a VPP, the two links that are attached to the front triangle swing in opposite directions (one swings clockwise, the other counterclockwise), whereas with a Horst-link, all the links swing in the same direction.

Just because this bike uses the bottom link to actuate the shock, doesn't make it a VPP or anything like one.

As far as I am aware (anyone - correct me here if you can cite the patents), the patents on Horst-links and VPP links apply to pivot location in relation to axle path - not to where the shock is located.

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also whats with the addition of 8"front rotors to the 2004 sworks enduro's and epics.

Just seems a little stupid to me -

bighitter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
but also on the other hand that means you would be able to run the new XTR disc calipers - XT levers and 8 inch rotors

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
The difference between a VPP and a Horst-link is nothing to do with which link actuates the shock. The Santa Cruz Blur and the Intense Spyder (or XVP, whatever it is) both actuate the shock via the top bar.
Ok, you've got me on that one :oops:

I'm going to crawl back under my rock.

S.

ex offender
RaID said:
isnt the VPP patented on the actual wheel path?
I don't think so, iirc the patent applies to "counter-rotating links", ie links that rotate in opposite directions. You can make some pretty funky wheel paths without violating the VPP patent (the NRS's have really really tightly radiused axle arcs) so I don't think it's possible to patent the axle path. The patent may include it though, I'm not really sure.

jamo

Likes Dirt
very nice bike. damn beast!!!

but it looks very complex and expensive to maintain with all those linkages etc...