More powerful front brake??

dave3107

Likes Bikes
I currently run the standard Juicy 5s front and back on my 08 Trance X1. I'm finding that I go through pads quickly - maybe 10 rides?? - (no wet riding).
:confused:
1. What are the best brake pads to buy? (ceramic, etc) - does brand matter?
2. At 125kg, should I upgrade to Juicy 7s or other at the front? (Only a little downhill and I'm definitely no Sam Hill!!) - I want more stopping power!

I'm a W/E warrior only, but love my riding.

Cheers!

Jimass

Eats Squid
Juicy's all have around the same power, so it wouldn't really be worth it.

I run a juicy five on the back of my DH bike, and a Code on the front and that's good.

Maybe go for Elixirs, there awesome!

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
elixers are very good brakes.
but if your running organic pads then they wear out real quick. i run metallic sintered pads in my juicy fives on my glory and they have plenty of power. they dont modulate as well but last for heaps longer and give you more power. i think the ceramic ones are about halfway between the organic and metallic pads.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
What rotor size do you currently run ?? presume 6"

I'd suggest moving to 7" for more noticeable bite. Given your a big fella, and presuming your aggressive, maybe even a move to 8" would be worth it. I find 8" for trail riding as over kill ... too grabby

My layman's explanation / logic to increased pad wear ... the smaller diameter rotor spins faster ... so it takes more revolutions to slow it and the wheel down ... therefore your pads are doing more work ... and not lasting as long ... all things being equal ... the bigger diameter is relatively slower moving, allowing the pad to work more effectively. There is something about torque as well, but thats above my head :eek:

There isn't much difference in the power of a juicy 5 and a 7 IMO (I have both) ... its just the fancy red dial thats the diff. So upgrading to bling, although always nice ... won't produce as much performance gain as a change in rotor size, in this example.

Pads:
Thumbs up for disco brakes ... can get them off ebay as well. If you search on here you'll get some other comments

It goes, organics, metallic, ceramic ... re life and heat dissipation ... but the reverse for grip/bite ... organics providing more bite.

I'd change the rotors first ... see if you like the power, then see if the pads are still burning thru ... then experiment with other compounds.

good luck

Viv92

Eats Squid
My layman's explanation / logic to increased pad wear ... the smaller diameter rotor spins faster ... so it takes more revolutions to slow it and the wheel down ... therefore your pads are doing more work ... and not lasting as long ... all things being equal ... the bigger diameter is relatively slower moving, allowing the pad to work more effectively. There is something about torque as well, but thats above my head :eek:
Smaller diameter rotor spins slower relative to the speed of the rim/tyre. If you want a really basic explanation, a bigger rotor gives the brake more leverage on the wheel. Think about the difference between a small cog on your cassette to a large one.

Get metallic pads.

If you want really powerful but light brakes get formula Megas or The Ones. Possibly most powerful brake out and lighter than all but the top end XC stuff. :)

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I was thinking that if you have a constant point (say where the caliper is) and a similar constant on the rotor, that spot on the rotor traverses past the caliper more often in the same period of time ... therefore faster ???

Happy for my logic to be shot to pieces.

Also got the leverage and torque thing wrong ... so not doing well so far :eek:

Viv92

Eats Squid
I was thinking that if you have a constant point (say where the caliper is) and a similar constant on the rotor, that spot on the rotor traverses past the caliper more often in the same period of time ... therefore faster ???

Happy for my logic to be shot to pieces.

Also got the leverage and torque thing wrong ... so not doing well so far :eek:
Single point on the rotor only passes the calliper once per revolution, regardless of rotor size.

speed = distance/time

lets say time is 1 sec for one revolution

braking surface is the circumference of the circle (well close enough)... c=2*pi*r radius is bigger for a bigger rotor, therefore c is bigger

s=d/t... t is constant, d is bigger for a bigger rotor, therefore s (speed is bigger)

:eek:

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Elixir brake, 203mm rotor, one metallic, one organic pad.
Should suit a guy of 125kg nicely.

shane_2Kona

Likes Dirt
What rotor size do you currently run ?? presume 6"

I'd suggest moving to 7" for more noticeable bite. Given your a big fella, and presuming your aggressive, maybe even a move to 8" would be worth it. I find 8" for trail riding as over kill ... too grabby
Correct me if im wrong, but i thought that increasing the rotor size only made a noticable difference if you were on the brakes a lot, carrying a heavy weight, or going fast; all characteristics of a downhill bike. Hence i thought that the only advantage of a larger rotor was that it didnt heat up as quick.

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Correct me if im wrong, but i thought that increasing the rotor size only made a noticable difference if you were on the brakes a lot, carrying a heavy weight, or going fast; all characteristics of a downhill bike. Hence i thought that the only advantage of a larger rotor was that it didnt heat up as quick.
Go outside and flip your bike upside down and then spin the front wheel and try and stop it on the rim. Now spin it again and try stopping it closer to the hub.

What gives you better stopping power?

The same applies with rotors...

Last edited:

dirt_rider17

Likes Dirt
im quite a big kid and i run elixirs on my glory and they work quite well, i tryed some codes and they do have a bit more power for bigger people but my elixirs feel great and are powerful enough:D

dhDRucer

Likes Dirt
I'd be going Elexir mag 's.there the brand new brake to the elixir line up but weigh next to nothing.I run the cr's on my glory and they are great.

Tallman

Likes Dirt
Single point on the rotor only passes the calliper once per revolution, regardless of rotor size.

speed = distance/time

lets say time is 1 sec for one revolution

braking surface is the circumference of the circle (well close enough)... c=2*pi*r radius is bigger for a bigger rotor, therefore c is bigger

s=d/t... t is constant, d is bigger for a bigger rotor, therefore s (speed is bigger)

:eek:
Compared to a large rotor (eg 8"), a smaller rotor (eg 6") has a slower angular momentum. Though both rotors will each do one revolution in the same amount of time, the edge of the larger rotor has a greater distance to travel (since circumference is dependent on diameter\radius of the circle, after all). So yeah, I don't know if I'm arguing with you, adding on to what you said, or just generally dribbling on, your call...!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought that increasing the rotor size only made a noticeable difference if you were on the brakes a lot, carrying a heavy weight, or going fast; all characteristics of a downhill bike. Hence i thought that the only advantage of a larger rotor was that it didn't heat up as quick.

I shall correct you, simply, the larger the rotor, the more effective the brake (caliper) is at slowing you down. Just look at cars, why do performance cars have massive rotors? Because the larger the rotor, the greater leverage you get (simply put, I said)...