morewood makulu and kalula questions

juzzyschryver

Likes Bikes
im buying a morewood makulu but i was just wondering if there is any difference between a medium makulu and a medium kalula

driftking

Wheel size expert
The makulu has an extra inch in the rear, and been a DH specific bike the geo will probably be lower,longer and slacker. I have not seen a geo chart for them both but there would be clear differences in the two frames in terms of design. As for sizing you should probably email/contact morewood and check out their sizing charts to see where you fit. Even better get a sit on each bike.
The bikes changes are so they ride more specific to the style they are designed for and as for sizing its important to use the manufactures site as a guide.
If you find you are inbetween sizes or can fit on two this is where you then need to go try each size for yourself.

T-Rex

Template denier
Send a PM to Nicho here on RB, he's the Morewood importer.

Nothing like getting it from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apart from the kalula being a 7inch fr specific frame, the main frame should feel relatively similar in reach. Though it will not feel the same on the trail. If you are thinking of buying one or the other, I wouldn't even think of considering the kalula. If it's for getting the right sizing come visit mine, and have a spin down a trail

nicho

Sacré bleu!
HI Jazzy,

It all depends on the application. To be honest the Kalula and the Makula are both fantastic bike and share very similar characteristics in terms of suspension feel and stability in the rough and high speed downhills.
The Kalula was initially designed for the Asian market who needed smaller compact dh bikes and it turned out to be a fantastic product on its own without being labelled a Makulu off shoot.

The Kalula is quite frankly a great tool for Aussie tracks: fast, loose but quite tight 80% of the time.

The kalula never feels awkward in rougher sections due to its suspension design and ability to feel sturdy in the most delicate sections. You will never wish you had an extra inch with that bike.

Now if you are after a pure race bred DH bike then the makulu is your steed. The Mak is a low, long and aggressive bike. It will be nimble but a tad more stable than the Kalula over steep , fast, loose terrain.

A defining factor in my opinion to determine your weapon of choice between the two is the following :

1- How tall are you ?
2-Are you gonna race it or mostly do week end dh sessions with mates all over the shop ?
3-What type of bike have you ridden in the past ?
4-Being specific, have you had a look at the geometry ?

Realistically ask yourself the questions.

The kalula will make for a slightly lighter build and comes in that awesome trans blue that i really love.

The makulu is so confidence inspiring and is such a cool full on dh bike. (my tick but again i race and am quite aggressive with it) For your reference i had my weighing at 17.5 with Bos suspension and nothing specifically light.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions please email me on rouler@rouler.com.au

Nicho

nicho

Sacré bleu!
YEah they are light indeed.

I guess what i mean is that on a kalula if you put a 7" fork and parts that are not specifically dh oriented.

The kalula would be the perfect Mega bike in my opinion.

Nicho

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I own a medium kalula at 6ft 1 im probably onthe very upper limit of the size but i love it, you can just hop and whip it like a hard tail, but if feels like a downhill bike along the ground and through the corners. when i got mine i think the only difference between the two was the kalula was 7" and a little shorter in the chainstays and wheel base, same head angle, same bb height, I rode a sunday and a 224 for a season each and being 8" and 9" respectively. I feel the kalula is the fastest bike of the lot while being 100 times more fun, being low leverage ratios it also feels like it has more travel then both bikes.

For australian track i believe the kalula is the best option.

Also nicho is right the translucent blue is the best paint job i have ever seen on a bike, in the sun it looks astonishing.

juzzyschryver

Likes Bikes
Thanks heaps nicho, im still gonna stick with the makulu, im gonna be ordering one most likely next week mate, so get a medium in asap haha

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LOL, Nicho...

Nothing specifically light...?

Prerunners! :) they don't get much lighter than that ;)
It's about average these days based off a 2011 frame, I've rebuilt up nichos frame and It sits at a touch over 17.4kg that's with intense 2ply with dh tubes. Otherwise most things are quite lightish.

HI Jazzy,

It all depends on the application. To be honest the Kalula and the Makula are both fantastic bike and share very similar characteristics in terms of suspension feel and stability in the rough and high speed downhills.
The Kalula was initially designed for the Asian market who needed smaller compact dh bikes and it turned out to be a fantastic product on its own without being labelled a Makulu off shoot.

The Kalula is quite frankly a great tool for Aussie tracks: fast, loose but quite tight 80% of the time.

The kalula never feels awkward in rougher sections due to its suspension design and ability to feel sturdy in the most delicate sections. You will never wish you had an extra inch with that bike.

Now if you are after a pure race bred DH bike then the makulu is your steed. The Mak is a low, long and aggressive bike. It will be nimble but a tad more stable than the Kalula over steep , fast, loose terrain.

A defining factor in my opinion to determine your weapon of choice between the two is the following :

1- How tall are you ?
2-Are you gonna race it or mostly do week end dh sessions with mates all over the shop ?
3-What type of bike have you ridden in the past ?
4-Being specific, have you had a look at the geometry ?

Realistically ask yourself the questions.

The kalula will make for a slightly lighter build and comes in that awesome trans blue that i really love.

The makulu is so confidence inspiring and is such a cool full on dh bike. (my tick but again i race and am quite aggressive with it) For your reference i had my weighing at 17.5 with Bos suspension and nothing specifically light.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions please email me on rouler@rouler.com.au

Nicho

I knew you only sold the makulu to me so you could get a blue one.

I'll be at shep on the 12th June, if a ride is in order

juzzyschryver

Likes Bikes
It's about average these days based off a 2011 frame, I've rebuilt up nichos frame and It sits at a touch over 17.4kg that's with intense 2ply with dh tubes. Otherwise most things are quite lightish.

I knew you only sold the makulu to me so you could get a blue one.

I'll be at shep on the 12th June, if a ride is in order
nah mate i wont be able to make that