Morris Iemma .. The Crushinator !!

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
I giggled when I first heard it, but yeah, it does seem really, really petty. Vindictive, almost.

I cannot see any true rationale for this. I just don't think there's any reason to crash test a bunch of shitty old commodores and highly modified rice rockets.

McPete

Likes Dirt
Well I suppose it's an improvement on just sticking up a dozen new speed cameras and banging on about how 1km/h over the limit will wipe out several species of butterflies(etc...), but there still needs to be a more visible police presence. People will still do stupid things on the roads if they think they can get away with it. Threats do nothing but get people angry.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I think it's fucking rediculous.

Even if confiscation of the vehicles is required, what possible good is served by crushing working vehicles?

I thought society was meant to be experiencing a trend of heightened awareness re: sustainability. Where the fuck does the government get off needlessly reducing the service life of products that contain considerable resources? Crushing a whole car doesn't even allow for effecient recycling, which depsite being a poorer option, would be better than just creating more landfill.

Here's an idea: if the vehicles are roadworthy, sell them. If they're not, sell them for spares. It happens with other seized goods, so why not these?
God knows the government could do with the money, at the very least they could throw it at some hospitals.

Argh, these attempted shows of strength for the middle conservatives are really starting to piss me off.
Fuck you Iemma, you worthless sack of shit.

Edit: seems as though in my rage I may have jumped the gun slightly, I thought this was a rehash of his last "crush em and dump em on their lawns" plan. Whilst the crash-testing may be seen to add some credibility to the concept, I still feel it's a waste as I question the usability of the data gained.
So on further consideration, I'd like to reiterate: Fuck you Iemma, you worthless sack of shit.

Last edited:

'Alex

Likes Dirt
Here's an idea: if the vehicles are roadworthy, sell them. If they're not, sell them for spares. It happens with other seized goods, so why not these?
I totally agree with you, but returning these 'riced up cars' (Generalisation) back into circulation is just like passing the gun to another dickhead. Taking these vehicles off the street is the only method of reducing this anti-social behavior.
Alex

scblack

Leucocholic
I totally agree with you, but returning these 'riced up cars' (Generalisation) back into circulation is just like passing the gun to another dickhead. Taking these vehicles off the street is the only method of reducing this anti-social behavior.
Alex
Well said, agreed.:)

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
Alex
"if they are roadworthy"

If they are indeed roadworthy then I think they should be auctioned off.

But yeah, the illegally modified cars need to go.

Wouldn't it be awesome if they donated them to rally schools and the like :cool:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Wouldn't it be awesome if they donated them to rally schools and the like :cool:
Sure would be.
You know what would be even more awesome though? If they did the work required to turn them into usable cars for driver training schools for young drivers.

To start with it might increase the likelyhood of young male drivers being enticed to the schools, as they'd have a chance to drive a more aspirational vehicle than a bog stock falcodore.
In addition it might even provide a bit more of a reality check when they realised that even in the vehicle they aspire to, keeping their shit together isn't as easy as they imagined it would be.

Now don't worry, I do understand that the above suggestion is flawed, and I also agree with transmetal's response re: dangerous cars.
However at this point I think that almost anything has to be better than the proposed plan which amounts to little more than mindless destruction, the only apparent "benefit" of which being that Morrie's Monkeys get to say:
"Look at us, see how tough we're being on the dangerous element?! Rooooooaaaaaarrrrr!".

S.

ex offender
I fucking hate people with retarded ideas like that. Taking someone's personal property indefinitely (and then destroying it!)? Fuck off. I still don't think that the police should be able to confiscate ANY legally obtained goods indefinitely. Sure, take stuff off people for a couple of days as a punishment, but this is outright retarded. All it does is foster an "us and them" mentality, will lead to more car chases (which are IMO infinitely more dangerous than anything people can do hooning around) when people are scared they'll lose their car for something stupid, and at the end of the day doesn't actually solve any problems at all. The whole Aussie governmental mentality of "We can solve everything with new legislation for harsher punishments" just makes no sense.

So I'm inclined to agree with Wombat's sentiments, even if for different reasons: Fuck you Iemma, you worthless sack of shit.

S.

ex offender
Alex
No it's not. What you're essentially saying there is that the general public shouldn't be trusted to make decisions with anything that has any potential to be dangerous. Which means that you also, by extension, can't be trusted to make decisions with cars or indeed social policy. This whole issue is totally retarded IMO. Yes, people are going to buy cars. Yes, a few of them are going to do stupid shit. Yes, people are going to get killed. Yes, you will end up dead one day regardless of whether or not someone else's car gets taken off them and destroyed.

For the record, I don't own a hotted up car (or even anything remotely fast), never have, and probably never will. Nor have I ever had anything other than a single speeding fine with regards to traffic offences (actually two parking fines too now that I think of it).

Last edited: