morzine school me on it

buffy

Likes Dirt
thinking about doing the season in morzine next year. never been, dont know the layout, village, mountains. tell me everything.
i just did 3 months in whistler. what differences are there between the two places?
can i buy 1 season pass for all the different mountains?
where are good spots to live?

horsey

Likes Dirt
In Morzine you can buy a whole season pass for the entire Portes du Soleil which also includes; les gets, avoriaz, chatel, les crosets, morgins & champery. It is possible to ride between all these resorts in a single day. Its usually open first weekend June till mid September. The swiss resorts usually stay open a little longer.

Morzine is the busiest, Chatel has the most trails and variety. Morgins has the some of the best DH tracks in the alps, and a sweet pump track to play on after.

The bike park style trails are similiar enough to what you will find in Whistler. The natural trails in French/Swiss alps are generally much more technical!

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
thinking about doing the season in morzine next year. never been, dont know the layout, village, mountains. tell me everything.
i just did 3 months in whistler. what differences are there between the two places?
can i buy 1 season pass for all the different mountains?
where are good spots to live?
Are you working or playing?

buffy

Likes Dirt
topper, i aim to ride every chance i get, i can work online nights or whenever.

horsey, thanks for the response, much appreciated.

would you say its best to base myself in morzine village lets say. can i easily access everything from there? do people typically ride 1 mountain a day or can do everywhere. i understand its more spread out unlike whistler where you can ride get to everything super super easy off garbo.

big bike or all mountain 6 incher?

Puppet Master

Likes Dirt
You can ride a bit in a few resorts in one day, but usually better to go to one resort for the day and play there. So stay in Morzine( it has best night life in summer... not much though), then head to Champery/Chatel/Morgins etc. for the day using the chair lifts and link trails. You could do it on a 6 inch bike but you'll have more fun on a big bike you just need to set it up for going between resorts. A wide range cassette, slightly smaller chainring and a seatpost that can go up to allow more efficient pedalling.

Morgins is siiick, Dange H in chatel village is freakin awesome and the bikepark stuff is good. Also check out the gully track in Les Gets, less well known and very natural for the most part rocky as all f*ck.

If you're in Vic ad go to VDHS races I'll quite happily talk you through everything ( I spent 7 summers in the Portes du Soliel!)

buffy

Likes Dirt
is it difficult to find people to ride with?
ill be going there solo and likely finding a studio for myself.

Topperharley

Likes Dirt
Finding people to ride with is very easy, depends where you go, but you'll be hanging around Pleney and Super Morzine for the first few days, almost everyone is friendly, or English. They love the Aussie's so it'll be easy to get hooked up.
As the other chap mentioned, a big bike is better. Spend a bit of time there and you'd end up switching to all mountain to access the limitless terrain there, but big DH bike at first for sure, there's enough to keep you hungry for years!
Make friends with a bike shop, you'll need access to parts, and they don't come too cheaply! There are afew good ones in Les Gets Morzine but fairly limited in stock. To be honest I haven't been back in summer there for over 6 years, though before that I spent 6 years living in Les Gets, so I can only imagine the setup is getting better. Le Boomerang in Les Gets used to have good relationship with Ride-on, which was being re-kindled now JM, the former owner has bought it back, they had the best selection back in the day, and very good mechanics.
Chatel seem to be getting on with it, Les Gets falling behind a little, and Morzine just going trough the motions as far a trail building goes/maintenance but Morzine is the most central, and has the most going on. You'll find an apartment there easily enough, but it wouldn't hurt to put your name out there to share something? If you want to work, PM me, i have quite afew old friends out there who may want a dishy, cook, bartender, mechanic, tiler, painter, carpenter, even guide depending on what your good at/qualified for and willing to do. Visa can be an issue though.

It was always a very friendly spot, with a killer scene, if get out there, you'll fall into the right things soon enough.

moremountain

Cannon Fodder
I live here - it's brill

A few top tips about being out here for the season.

Get in early with accommodation as stuff gets booked out quick.

The estate agencies ( immobilisers ) have control of a lot of the rental places but there are also quite a few seasonaire type places.
Worth checking out this place http://www.skimorzine.com/chalets-morzine/seasonnaires/chalet-nantegue. My friend Doug is in charge over there and there is a great vibe. Situated in Morzine about a 2 minute ride from the centre of town ON THE FLAT!!!

Morzine is in a valley with the Pleney trails on one side heading over to Les Gets in the next valley. Great to ride when you are short of time but get nailed by all of the weekly visitors. Chat with the locals as there are so many rooty forest trails not on the map.

On the other side of the Morzine valley you have the Super M lift - amazing unmarked tree runs down that side. Ffrom the top of the lift its a 10 minute pedal along the ridge to get into Avoriaz - French national DH and loads of other good stuff.

From here you have two choices - head over to Croset and Champery in Switzerland or head towards Chatel
All amazing trails everywhere. Champery and Chatel then link up via Morgin and Torgon.

A good thing to do would be to get here early / mid June as Les Gets and the Pleney trails open early then ride the Passportes route ( last weekend of June ) to see how the whole area links together.

Whilst over here make sure you also ride in Samoens - this is part of the Flaine ski area, you can ride over to it along some amazing single track stuff but will need an uplift back. Also it's worth checking out Rocher de Nay in Montrieux.

In a nut shell this area has everything, I rode a 160 travel bike but with DH rims, tubes, tires and brakes for 3 seasons and was fine. Now have a 180 that is still pedal able. If you just come with a DH rig you will not get the best out of your season as there are soooo many great trails that require a few map reading skills and a 10 - 20 minute pedal.

Like Whistler it can rain so a Wet Scream or Swamp Thing is a good tire choice!!!

If you want any more advice get in touch jon@moremountain.com

Cheers
Jon

buffy

Likes Dirt
seriously on accommodation booking out in summer? it was super easy in whistler.

im looking at going for july and august only.

and i wish i could bring both bikes but looks like it will be my downhill rig.

will probably get in touch closer to summer

morgs

morgs
seriously on accommodation booking out in summer? it was super easy in whistler.

im looking at going for july and august only.

Everyone takes August off and heads for the seaside or the mountains.
We used this mob last year www.mountainhighs.co.uk who are English and seem to handle a lot of properties owned by English folks. They were good to deal with, cheap (for a short stay at least) and prompt with responses. I'd agree with the others, Morzine is the best place to stay, but the riding is better in other spots like Morgins and Chatel. But it's easy to get to them all, Champery is maybe the hardest to get to and from and there's some awesome trails not on maps also.

buffy

Likes Dirt
good sites for buying selling bikes/parts in morzine?

doesnt seem to be much action on pinkbike for that area and i dont know the craigslist equivalent also that i used to good effect in whistler.

Odissius

Likes Dirt
Leboncoin is the site that most people use to buy and sell around there. Try to avoid buying bike stuff over here though. It's pretty expensive compared to back in OZ. I've done two seasons in Chatel and agree with what most people are saying on here. Morzine has more going after hours. I debated about staying there this time but I like Chatel because it doesn't feel as touristy and you get more of a feel for France I think. Not sure if that kind of thing is important. Food over here is amazing and if it's a good summer (like this last one was) it's hard to imagine a more perfect way to spend 2-3 months!

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Save starting a new thread Ill make this easy. Im doing Chatel, Les Gets, Champery, Alpe de Huezs then Les Deuz Alpes. What have people found the best way to get between resort with their bike and gear? Taxi, Train, Shuttle or a combination of both?

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Save starting a new thread Ill make this easy. Im doing Chatel, Les Gets, Champery, Alpe de Huezs then Les Deuz Alpes. What have people found the best way to get between resort with their bike and gear? Taxi, Train, Shuttle or a combination of both?
I've done them all, had a car. That's your best bet.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Going to be in Morzine/Europe with my DH bike this June/July. Plan is to ride Portes Du Soleil, Val di Sole and Leogang at some stage. Anyone going to be in the area?

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Going to be in Morzine/Europe with my DH bike this June/July. Plan is to ride Portes Du Soleil, Val di Sole and Leogang at some stage. Anyone going to be in the area?
Portes Du Soleil covers alot of places. I will be in Chatel, Champery, Les Gets, Alpe de Huez and Les Duex Alpes from July 1-25.