Most mind bending movies you've seen

Nautonier

Eats Squid
What are you doing with that dang hammer? I don't rightly know, I just kindly woke up a holdin' it, mmm hmm.
I really hope that's not a reference to "Two Men and a Hammer". Thanks to RB I watched that little gem right through to the end and was thoroughly sickened by it. If you haven't seen it, I would strongly advise NOT watching it. Seriously. It's not 'mind-bending' it's just depraved.

Intense1

Banned
There's a reason for that. Apparently Lynch developed the original script as a TV series and after shooting several scenes out of order (the way most things are shot) the funding was cut (probably due to the producers being too weirded out by it) and he decided to mash what he had together as a feature. So yeah, there's scenes and characters that make no sense whatsoever. Lynch said once in an interview that it's ridiculous how obsessed with plausible plot development and conventional narrative conclusions most viewers are. He likes to make a film that *doesn't* make sense.

Salo is twisted as all hell. I saw it at a cinema in Melbourne 2 days before it was officially banned in Australia. There was an 80% walk-out rate, which is a shame as the best bit was right at the end.

There's a list of the ten most twisted/disturbing/mind bending/f&^ked up films of all time and Salo comes in at number 10... Mordum, which I mentioned earlier, is number 1.

I don't think anybody has mentioned "Under the Skin". I thought "Lucy" was utter shite, but that's cos I saw it after Under the Skin.

Cloud Atlas is a travesty if you've read the book.
Ah interesting,. Thanks for the info re Mullholland drive.

Salo sounds worth watching, will get onto it.

A google search of "Frank Vogels Mordum" produced zero results?

Possibly censored ?

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Buffalo Soldiers
Really enjoyed the first half or so of that, but towards the end left me a bit deflated.

Is a bit of a mind fuck, but more in the politics/senselessness IMO and not crazy shit mindfuck.

I enjoyed it though, some fairly confronting sort of stuff in there.

Trainspotting also made me sit down and think, I reckon most movies that show that sort of hardcore injection stuff are pretty confronting to me. I've just started The Wire again and the scenes where Bubbles and co. are injecting really make me feel squeamish...

Nautonier

Eats Squid

Possibly censored ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Underground's_Mordum

It's seriously disturbing, most people can't watch all of it. For me the thing that gets me is that it's so 'real'. Intellectually I know that it's all fabricated/staged etc (kind like the end scene of Salo), but while watching it, it just convincingly seems like some really sick shit that some sick f*&k filmed on a handicam... Low production values always get me...

stirk

Burner

Possibly censored ?
Yep, go ahead and watch Salo, perfect movie you.

moorey

call me Mia
Alsa's eyes seem to turn green at the end of 'let it go'. I guess she could be wearing contact lenses, but it keeps me up at night looking for a better answer to how she did it.

Intense1

Banned
Found a list of the 15 most disturbing films.

http://www.popcrunch.com/the-15-most-disturbing-movies-ever-made/

Just watched "Hard Candy" which was on the list. It was a decent flick, Ellen Page delivers a stellar performance. Failed to deliver on the nail biting torture scenes. Was still tense. The ending was a little bit of a downer. Worth watching though.

Simply can't believe Ellen Page was 17 or 18 at the time it was made. She played a 14 year old girl who looked very convincingly that age

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Found a list of the 15 most disturbing films.

http://www.popcrunch.com/the-15-most-disturbing-movies-ever-made/

Just watched "Hard Candy" which was on the list. It was a decent flick, Ellen Page delivers a stellar performance. Failed to deliver on the nail biting torture scenes. Was still tense. The ending was a little bit of a downer. Worth watching though.

Simply can't believe Ellen Page was 17 or 18 at the time it was made. She played a 14 year old girl who looked very convincingly that age
That's a different list to the one I saw, but there are some great films on there. Happiness and Irreversible are both incredible. If you thought Memento was confusing chronologically, Irreversible goes one step further. Once you figure out what's going on, it makes 'perfect' sense... Speaking of Gaspar Noe, his latest film Enter the Void features the most mind bending scene quite near the start and then the best ever "money shot" towards the end. The 3 hours or so in between is not to everyone's taste, but some people love it.

This is "The List":

10. Irreversible
09. Men Behind The Sun
08. Salo: 120 Days of Sodom
07. Ichi The Killer
06. Murder Set Pieces
05. Guinea Pig: Flower of Flesh and Blood
04. Cannibal Holocaust
03. Cutting Moments (Short Film)
02. Aftermath (Short Film)
01. August Underground's Mordum

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Trainspotting....and yes being Scottish is shite!
“Choose a life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers... Choose DIY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit crushing game shows, stucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away in the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself, choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?”

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
Trainspotting....and yes being Scottish is shite!
“Choose a life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fucking big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers... Choose DSY and wondering who the fuck you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit crushing game shows, stucking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away in the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself, choose your future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?”
Fucking great film. I loved living and working in Scotland. The Scots definitely know how to live like there's no tomorrow.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
That's a different list to the one I saw, but there are some great films on there. Happiness and Irreversible are both incredible. If you thought Memento was confusing chronologically, Irreversible goes one step further. Once you figure out what's going on, it makes 'perfect' sense... Speaking of Gaspar Noe, his latest film Enter the Void features the most mind bending scene quite near the start and then the best ever "money shot" towards the end. The 3 hours or so in between is not to everyone's taste, but some people love it.

This is "The List":

10. Irreversible
09. Men Behind The Sun
08. Salo: 120 Days of Sodom
07. Ichi The Killer
06. Murder Set Pieces
05. Guinea Pig: Flower of Flesh and Blood
04. Cannibal Holocaust
03. Cutting Moments (Short Film)
02. Aftermath (Short Film)
01. August Underground's Mordum
I've not seen it but from accounts of people who have, I think 'A Serbian Film' should probably be up there.

Snowtown as well I suppose...