Motor bikes

cooper

Likes Dirt
Well i have become more interisted in getting my self a road bike, especially with the curent fuel prices and free parking at UNSW (motobikes only), but i really dont know where to start

basicly i am interested in getting something that is reasonably sporty, not interested in choppers or cruisers or any thing like that.

I dont want anything that would be to powerfull, as i would be on my L/P's for awaile and i think there are power/wight ratio limits there.

also im a tall git 6'3' (and would be going from hornsby to kensington faily often) and was wondering weather the size of the bike would be a problem. Can u even get different sized frames lol, if not what other options for tall riders in this department

I would prob be looking second hand as i wouldnt want to spend over 4000, and ideally it would be about 2500.

Any recomendations or info that i can be pointed to in terms of models brands or anything else

Excuse any ignorance here, i really do know nothing atm, but i am genuinely interisten in this and would lover to hear from others who have any experiences

cheers cooper

id be looking at somthing like an yamaha r6 and then later when you have more money and experiance an r1 dont know about sizing and anything but a mate of mine might be geetting an old r6 and hes in the same situation

Binaural

Eats Squid
look i can faceplant said:
id be looking at somthing like an yamaha r6 and then later when you have more money and experiance an r1 dont know about sizing and anything but a mate of mine might be geetting an old r6 and hes in the same situation
He said he has to be on his L's/P's for a while, so I suspect an R1 or R6 is out of the question for a while. They aren't great beginner bikes anyway, a bit too powerful in the city. A list of bikes he can ride are here:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/motorcycleridertrainingscheme/motorcyclesnoviceriders.html

That said, you will find most 250 sports bikes too small. I am 6'5' and my knees were practically in my face on one model I looked at, practically as bad as a GN250 that a 5'2' girl I used to know could ride.

cooper

Likes Dirt
Binaural said:
That said, you will find most 250 sports bikes too small. I am 6'5' and my knees were practically in my face on one model I looked at, practically as bad as a GN250 that a 5'2' girl I used to know could ride.
LOL had a good chuckle at that one mate know exacly what u are talking about.

The Honda spada, what is the CC's and how old are they aprox

cheers

Binaural

Eats Squid
Early 90's, not made any more but plenty of parts available still. Capacity is 250cc, cast aluminum frame, good for commuting but likes the revs. Reasonably tall, most people can fit on it fairly comfortably. Unfaired so not unreal choice for freeway commuting.

One of the guys at work has one, he's been really happy with it. Rides fairly well but I wasn't allowed to take it out of the carpark with no helmet :) so my experience is limited.

cmont7

Banned
i think you can only ride a 250 so i segest you get an suzuki rgv as they are a two fifty 2 stroke an the fly but if you are located in nws they are banned so get it regsterd in a freinds name that lives in qld or some other sate and rid it around on that

Binaural

Eats Squid
cmont7 said:
i think you can only ride a 250 so i segest you get an suzuki rgv as they are a two fifty 2 stroke an the fly but if you are located in nws they are banned so get it regsterd in a freinds name that lives in qld or some other sate and rid it around on that
The rules refer to a power-to-weight ratio and a capacity limit (250cc) - the RGV fails the former since it is a two-stroke. It is illegal to RIDE one of these bikes on the road, but owning one for non-street use is fine.

That said, the RGV is banned for learners in NSW (Hornsby is in Sydney) for good reason. They have a lot of power that gets deliverd in a tight rush at the top of the rev range. That makes them awesome weekend racebikes but lousy road machines, which need a more linear and controllable throttle response.

cmont7

Banned
i thought they were there in qld my mate rides one to work every day so there alright up here but soo power ful it pick th frount wheel up on me when i was in fourth gear so there pretty power ful so thats way there banned in nsw

Binaural

Eats Squid
Yeah, that's right. Too many splattered learners got them banned here, as you say they can lift the nose in most any gear (that said, most 250's 4 strokers can get the nose up, you just have to put your back into it).

soze

Squid
roadies

Ive just moved up from peddaling mate, steep lurning curve in the last month or so let me tell you.

I'm tallish, 6'1, and i found the honda CBRs to be very low seated and cramped. Same goes for most of the very sporty types. They also generally have very low bars, which means your constantly riding hunched right over the front wheel... Looks sporty but its not great for regular or long rides- gets uncomfortable.

Anyway i think i did ok with a compromise between sports/performance and a pretty comfortable ride - its kawasaki GPX250. It will keep me occupied untill im off restrictions. Incase your interested its a 99 model, 20,000 ks, registered for a year and it cost roughly 5000 including on road costs.

Other random tips that come to mind about buying a bike:
- budget for at least $500-$1000 for a decent helmet, gloves, and jacket as a minimum. Boots and pants are not a bad idea either.
- Bikes have a life of about 100,000ks, so anything thats a 250 and is over 50,000k's should be either very cheap or in very good condition
-take a mate who knows bikes to testride anything your looking at- there are heaps of little things that you should look out for. Say if you want more info here.
-dont get conned by a bike shop where all the bikes have been resprayed- we have one in melbourne - sumoto- their prices are terrible and their bikes are straight off the boat from japan where they have been thrashed for the last 5 years by some p plater over there. then they respray and clean up any evidence of crash damage etc. avoid them!
- Get on lots of bikes to feel the different seat heights and more importantly footpeg heights. get a friend to hold the bike while you get both feet off the ground and sit in ride position so you feel the angle your legs are in.

i have plenty more tips if you want to hear them

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
Yeh I would look at a Spada or a VTR250, the V-twins rule.

Dont get anything that is a 2-stroke, as if it isnt worn out buy the time you buy it, it would be pretty quickly (if it is actually learner legal).

As soon as I get the cash I'm gonna buy a gixxer....

Pete J

loves his dog
Check out this Yamaha SRV250 on netrider.net, these jiggers are pretty damn sweet! Retro cool looks and V-twin sound, can't really go wrong IMO.
Would be a great (and different) learner bike.
Here is what they look like.

EDIT: the bike for sale is the Renaissa model, they look like this!

There are also other bikes for sale on that site, check em out!

Avoid any bike that doesn't have a factory paint job, 4 cylinder 250's are a definite trap for the inexperienced.
For someone of your size a road/trail might be best. Would they be of any interest to you? A supermoto style 250 would be frickin awesome to learn on!! :cool:

Last edited:

Pete J

loves his dog
The SRV isn't a cruiser if that was what you were referring to.
It has a Virago motor but it is kinda sporty and isn't that hard to make it go even better. It is just as capable as a Spada.
I had a CBR250RR on my L's and P's and have had 7 bikes all up (ZXR 750, SZR 660, GS1000 and CB900 Hornet among them) over 10 years of riding
Just offering advice from my experience.

I just recommended a supermoto because they are better for a bigger bloke to ride, and waaaay more fun!

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
riding position is the point here, I'm sure the engine is capable but the riding position is pretty laid back........

I just wouldnt reccoment one for someone wanting a sporty bike

super moto's are bad ass, I agree there

Pete J

loves his dog
I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11 said:
riding position is the point here, I'm sure the engine is capable but the riding position is pretty laid back........
I just wouldnt reccoment one for someone wanting a sporty bike

Clip on handlebars are a cheap and quick way to get the sporty ride position. They are widely available and turn the bike into a nifty 'cafe-racer'.
The Outrider in St. Peters (no more, is now a Red Baron) actually used to sell the original SRV250 in a modified cafe-racer form, it was Sweet!!!! :cool:
Was actually quite fast and sounded brilliant with its custom exhaust.
On of those bikes would be a great alternative to a regular sportsbike.

However, you can't beat a CBR250RR in the learner legal sportsbike stakes. Sadly he doesn't have the budget to get a good one. Not worth buying an el cheapo.

cooper

Likes Dirt
Thanks heaps for the comments guys giving me some good thinking material...

Just one thing: when talking about the bikes can u please name the brand (eg honda) and model (eg vtr250) otherwise i realy dont know what u are talking about

Cafe racer? - presume you are talking about bikes that are high powered and look sporty but are actually not

Yer i realise its a bummber but i think riding possition is pretty important the last thing i want is to have my knees around my ears or crerating a regular tab with the local kyro :)

Last edited:

ona rampage

Likes Dirt
IMHO Soze is on the money; good comments.
At 6'4" I don't think you would fit on an RGV anyway (academic anyway, as you can't get a two stroke).
The GPX have been good bikes for many years, and seen a lot of learners go through to the bigger bikes. The ZZR 250 Kawasaki might be another option as well (very similar bikes).

Make sure you get a good jacket, gloves and boots, and ALWAYS wear them (even down the road to the shop!). It is the little trips where you aren't protected where you hit a hole/puddle/random thing, or get hit by a car or something else stupid like that. Hitting the road at 40km/h with no protection equals a lot of missing skin (I have seen the results before).

Also, with second hand bikes, check they haven't been wired up for racing; probably not as much of an issue with the 4 stroke 250s, but you can never be too sure (look at radiator caps & look for a drilled hole).

Pete J

loves his dog
Last edited: