Motorbikes on tracks in Northern beaches

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
I have seen a couple of threads on this, anyway just thought i would get some opinions...

Did oxy this morning, which rocked as always!!!. However, someone has gone up the track at the bottom (in the forest) on a motor bike and screwed it up abit. Yesterday I was also at the redhill jumps and it was the same story, a motorbike had messed it up some of the down ramps and chewed up around the middle lines…. Not good. At oxy the tire marks indicated that the motorbike jumped the last jump in the forest …wow nice effort, however fck U cos yah didnt build it and now ya screwing it up …Anyway what to do? some of the problem could be that the trails now have easier ways around difficult sections that motorbikes can ride around?, maybe get ride of these??? or maybe the forest line needs another double with a massive hole in the middle of it really close to the last jump, that way people on motorbike wont be able to ride it???? Well maybe, any thoughts? & what are good ways of keeping the motorbikes from damaging the jumps? (& yes i do tell them not to ride there when i see them)

RUDENESS

Likes Dirt
I was talking with a NPWS officer at Oxy the day after the burn-offs. While we were there her boss turned up, I mentioned to them about the moto's that I have seen on many occasions at Oxy, and how much damage they cause.
They said to me that the Moto Police will be having a blitz very soon, on illegal moto riding in bushland around the northern beaches.

Last edited:

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
I was talking with a NPWS officer at Oxy the day after the burn-offs. While we were there her boss turned up, I mentiond to them about the moto's that I have seen on many occasions at Oxy, and how much damage they cause.
They said to me that the Moto Police will be having a blitz very soon, on illegal moto riding in bushland around the northern beaches.
Well i wont be crying over that. I mean ok the moto's are on the firetrail no problem, then you see them every so often on the DH and they generally keep of the main lines. Now they are on the main lines tearing them up at Oxy and ripping up some of the jumps at Redhill. I mean generally speaking i dont really care however this is way over the line. I hope the NSWP people go and kick there arse!

unitec

Likes Dirt
signs

The only thing I can think of is printing up & laminating a few signs to be placed at the entrances. I rekon that most of the motos don't realize how much damage they do & how much we hate them for doing it.
Perhaps one A-4 size to get their attention & another explaining how much hard work goes into maintaining the tracks that they destroy.
Just an idea.

RUDENESS

Likes Dirt
Yeah Derka Derka, the NPWS officers were very concerned about the moto issue, and hopefully they will get something done.........I guess we will see.
They certainly make a mess of the trails at Oxy, and than they're gone.............until the next time.

Last edited:

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
We actually had 2 young MOTO guys stop at the top of the DH Oxy a few weeks ago. Nice dudes, asked us straight up what we thought of them riding our trails. Told them that we did not appreciate it as they destroy the tracks and we put a lot of time and effort in to creating and maintaining them. They seemed to understand and were respectful. Said they would not ride on them.

Asked them why they needed to ride the tracks when there are other fire roads around and they said something like they liked the smaller drops and jumps.

Have seen these 2 particular guys around again at Oxy though not on the DH trails so maybe they are keeping to their word. In saying that we get a lot of other MOTO's still riding up and down the tracks whilst we are riding them. Can be quite dangerous especially if they are riding up the tracks whilst we are coming down.

ClintC

Likes Dirt
The only thing I can think of is printing up & laminating a few signs to be placed at the entrances. I rekon that most of the motos don't realize how much damage they do & how much we hate them for doing it.
Perhaps one A-4 size to get their attention & another explaining how much hard work goes into maintaining the tracks that they destroy.
Just an idea.
Agreed.

As a moto (licensed) and mtb rider sometimes in new area's that are not very well posted you don't realise it is a mtb prefered trail till part of the way in. Obviously if they continue to ride mtb trails with full knowledge of what they are doing then they are tools, but a good majority are not intentionally trying to ruin other people’s fun.

Try flagging them down and nicely telling them what's going on or maybe putting up more no motorbike signs at intersections?

Last edited:

Jeff193

Likes Bikes
Saw possibly those same two kids stuck in the mud on a track near oxey. They completely destroyed nearly the entire track!

When I asked them why they had their Moto's in their he replied "It's ok, I ride my pushy in here all the time" Course hes never lifted a finger to maintain it.

I was furious and game them a few very serious words about what they were doing and how disrespectful it was. Think they got the message.

dan cleary

Likes Bikes
motos should be banned

honestly if i had a button an you flicked it all all motos were destroyed well i would not hesitate one bit flick that switch!!!!!!!!
the amount off damage they have done at red hill is so bad its become a joke lines i have been doing for many years our now unridale an they ride when its wet an just put the biggest holes in the ground its crazy the damage one motorbike dose it would take about 3000 bikes to do the same!!!!!!!
i really think that they are killing it for us bike riders as the damage they do to the trails people ie walkers who dont know any better think its us doing all that damage an blame us for the trail destruction well its not is those motos they need to be banned from all single track an need to learn so much respect:mad::mad:

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was at oxy most of last weekend, and saw a fair share of moto riders. I told a few of them jthat MTB riders did not appreciate what they were doing, Also adding in that maintanence will become a problem if they do not decide to fix it and ride the firetrails. MOTO's have been riding at redhill for years, and most have realised that we don't want them riding on our lips. Most gaved up, rode straight through, and tryed not to damage anything, although some thought they would be cool and try to ride them, which was never going to happen. We should be able to manage them but who knows what they think of us in return.
Tom.

mjs12

Squid
I motorbike and MTB. Where I ride the moto, there is only one specific track that MTBs use a lot and a local club occasionally do time trials there.

While the track is just a rocky single track and the moto doesn't do any damage, I intentionally take it easy through there because I know it's a MTB area. There are several laminated A4 size signs which are highly visible and I think it's a great idea.

I reckon most moto riders are completely willing to either not ride in an area or ride very softly if they're aware that it's a MTB trail and will be damaged by the motorbikes. The only way to reliably inform them would be through attention grabbing A4 signs. After all, there's enough pressure by the greenies etc. to lock all motorised vehicles out of legal bushland (State forests and such), so most moto riders would like to avoid any bad blood with other land users.

Cheers,
Matt.

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
I motorbike and MTB. Where I ride the moto, there is only one specific track that MTBs use a lot and a local club occasionally do time trials there.

While the track is just a rocky single track and the moto doesn't do any damage, I intentionally take it easy through there because I know it's a MTB area. There are several laminated A4 size signs which are highly visible and I think it's a great idea.

I reckon most moto riders are completely willing to either not ride in an area or ride very softly if they're aware that it's a MTB trail and will be damaged by the motorbikes. The only way to reliably inform them would be through attention grabbing A4 signs. After all, there's enough pressure by the greenies etc. to lock all motorised vehicles out of legal bushland (State forests and such), so most moto riders would like to avoid any bad blood with other land users.

Cheers,
Matt.
Yeah i understand what you are saying, but i am talking about screwing up jumps. I mean at Redhill on one of the downramps the moto has basically dug the ground out deliberately by doing a wheel spin, and some other minor damage with chewing up approaches. At oxy the moto has chewed up around the top of a drop and then chewed up the upramp of a jump made of dirt. There is also track damage.

My beef is that they are deliberately not really giving a shit. If the guys are reasonable and they can see that we all want to be happy together then that is not an issue.

mjs12

Squid
Yeah i understand what you are saying, but i am talking about screwing up jumps. I mean at Redhill on one of the downramps the moto has basically dug the ground out deliberately by doing a wheel spin, and some other minor damage with chewing up approaches. At oxy the moto has chewed up around the top of a drop and then chewed up the upramp of a jump made of dirt. There is also track damage.

My beef is that they are deliberately not really giving a shit. If the guys are reasonable and they can see that we all want to be happy together then that is not an issue.
Yeah that sucks. While A4 signs would help with the reasonable people, it won't deter the wankers.