motos to start off on

CHEWY

Eats Squid
danvitme said:
7. There is such thing as and AG185 or 175. I can't remember which. They haven't been released in australia for a while.

8 AG PRIDE!!

lol, I remember it use to have suspension and an engine before you had it chewy. :p
Nope, no 185, only a 175.
Damn people trying to muscle in on the AG name when its not even a yammy.

It still has suspension man, I didnt rape it THAT bad.. mm, 5" of rust dampened shite :)

go on MSN man..

Edit: oh yea, Mountain cattleman care for the high country!

And no engine? that things breathes fire now man! Opened up the airbox, ground down the head, lowered the gearing.. she goes like a rocket man. :? :roll:

floody

Wheel size expert
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (re dhaggression's thread), don't buy a 250 four stroke MX bike as a first bike - its an incredibly stupid thing to do unless you are racing MX or FMX.
They are about as fiery as a 2 stroke 125, and need just as much mainenance (probably more) - and in no way would I recomend a 125 MX bike to start out on so the same goes for the 250's.

Consider buying something like:
-Kawasaki KLX300
-Honda XR250
-Honda XR400
-Suzuki DRZ400
-Yamaha TTR 250

-Kawasaki KDX200 or 220 (mid 90's and later)
-Yamaha DT200 or 220

All of those would be better learner bikes.
Don't be afraid to go for a more trail oriented bike with a bigger engine.
I'd go for the DRZ400 , personally, bigger engine means more torque and power available at smaller throttle openings (and plenty of top end if you need it) which means a more forgiving riding experience - without the need to be kept in the power band as much as a MX bike. The DRZ would torque up hills with the throttle barely open where you'd be wheelspinning and revving the hell out of a YZ/WR and so on...Same story goes for the XR400.
The KLX300 is about as quick as an XR400, lighter, lower and smaller, so it may or may not be any good for a larger rider - but with stiffer springs and mild mods they can be made to really haul (our shop's KLX won every single race in the pro300 thumpernats class one year - only mods being exhaust, stripped road gear off and a trick rear shock)......

As for the KDX and the DT, they're both entry level two stroke enduro bikes, but they are much much lower maintenance than an MX bike, cheap, light, and (particulalry the KDX) can be made into very capable enduro bike or a rapid trail bike with light mods...

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Floody has hit it on the head. Check out the bikes he has suggested as they are all great first bikes.
I've got a DT200 and it's great. Cost me $2000 for a '92 with a '96 motor. While it is a 2 stroke the powerband is not remotely savage and it's got plenty of poke for trail riding. It's lighter than similarly powered 4 strokes and parts are really cheap. (like $10 for a new brake lever kinda cheap). I ride with dudes on YZ250s and they smoke me in the open stuff but when you get into the tight singletracks the extra power doesn't make any ddifference. For your first one get a cheapy. You will drop it heaps so if you get a pricey one you'll always be freaking out.

XR51X

Likes Dirt
pffft.
Don't be a girl!
125's are no fun!
Be a man, get a 250 2-stroke!

hehe in all seriousness, it all comes down to how much confidence you have in your ability to learn new things.
I learned to ride on a 250 2-stroke, as did my younger brother.
It can be done, but as I said, it depends on how confident you are.

Another big thing is money.
I didn't have my mum and dad behind me to buy me my bike, so I bought something I knew was going to last (A 2-stroke WR250).

If you can afford it, get something like an XR250 or KLX250 and then sell it and buy a proper MX bike. If not, get the best bike you can afford, and learn to live with it!

Try reading an owners manual so you can realise how much maintanence there is involved.
People have been saying you need to check the chain tension and carbs and all that, but they have neglected to mention that you should rebuild the top end of a 2-stroker at least every 6 months (depending on how much you ride it of course) or check the valve clearances of a 4-stroke quite regularly.

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Floody's on the ball except for the DRZ400 idea. Lotec is a bit pinner to be hauling that heavy beast around the bush. Get something in the 250cc 4-stroke trail bike range eg. XR, DRZ, KLX, TTR. They're great for learning on and don't require the high maintenance schedule of the new generation thumpers.

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy an ag bike. Sure, they're reliable but they aren't made for jumps and the suspension is completely rat-shit. It would be great for your very first rides but you'll soon find its limitations.

For the record, I own an modified KLX 250 that I use for trail riding and a bit of grasstrack MX. I'm slowly starting to grow out of it but it's a great bike for learning and a real hoot in the bush.

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
danvitme and floody are on the money...
My suggestion - go to a moto dealership thats what they're for :idea:
Sure, you may have to ignore individual dealer bias when it comes to manufacturers (kwaka's vs hondas etc) but they will be able to tell you what kind of bike will suit you based on your riding ability, size/weight, experience and intention.
A large problem lies in the fact that you're underage - couple this with an unregisterable motocross bike and suburban location and you have yourself a decent sized pain in the ass. I live in a *shudder* regional area and had riding locations on my doorstep. If i stuck with motos i had the option to get my license and ride to better locations, legally.
IMO you cant go wrong with the street legal enduro bikes (ie. 250 four bangers) to start off with - especially considering you've only ridden once.
Personally i wouldnt suggest a dedicated motocross racing bike especially (anything 250 and larger) to anyone lacking substantial riding experience. I mean this in much the same way i wouldn't recommend an Intense M3/Spec.Demo9/SGS WorldCup to recreational or relatively novice riders that comes and have a go at the Cannonball Run on the weekend....

Then again if you've got the money (or parents money) to screw about with, rebuilding engines and trailer-transporting a motocross about the countryside won't pose a problem for you :p

Griz

Likes Dirt

Theres some good second hand deals going on at the moment this Honda Crf-250 2004 model there including $500 worth of free Motocross gear

all for $10,249

thats a pritty good deal for a new crf!

lotecsiriusconcept

I would say go down to your local motorbike shop have a talk to some of the fellas they will help you alot better then some people on here!

We all have ow own thoughts Honda KTM but these people are pros and they get 100s of people asking the same question!

If you want to ask some questions add me to msn at

moto_x_king@hotmail.com

regards

reece :D

SpectRe

Likes Dirt
CRF250??
Anyone would think we're making recommendations for a ThumperNats 250 class contender...
Theres a pretty big likeness in this debate to the ever-present grom questions of 'Ive been riding by Iguana SE for a few months and need more suspension, what size M1 should i buy?' :p
no offence lotec :wink:

olsson

Likes Dirt
2 strokes all the way - 4 strokes are to slow of the line farkin hell fast in top end, but 2 strokes are awesome. I wish I still did MX
Yamaha I reckon are the best atm, followed by honda.
I'd reccomend a 125 over a 250 if you want. Remember this is your first bike :p

R.I.P JP (jono porter)

floody

Wheel size expert
CHEWY said:
Damn people trying to muscle in on the AG name when its not even a yammy.
Actually, I don't blame you for not knowing, but the FIRST specific ag bike was the Kawasaki " AGi " 100, based on an early 70's KV100 trail bike - and designed specifically for Australian farmers! It even came with a factory Kawasaki shovel. So if anyone's cashing in its Yamaha! Theres ya moto trivia for today :D

Yeah I may have been a tad off on the DRZ, but then again, they aren't super heavy, its not a KLX650 or anything...

Lotec (or anyone) feel free to PM me if you're after any general info, I've been riding/racing/working on motos on and off for about 18 years now, and I worked in my family's motorcycle dealership in sales and service for about 8 years...I've got a few clues about these things, and I'm happy to try and help out.

ride_hard199

Likes Dirt
ffs dont waste your money get a CR 500 straight away :wink:
why dont you get like a 2 stroke 125 ?
there alright to learn on .....
i have a XR 250 and dad said that when i can ride that to its full potential i can step up to wat i want :roll:
well i passed the test ... im probably gunna get a cr 250 or a ktm 250sx 8)

anfon

Banned
CHEWY said:
anfon said:
No, I got the old 185 aggy up to at least 90 on a wet road, THAT was scary, especially when I tapped the back drum a bit hard.
AG185??? Theres no such thing...
So. . . It's not a REAL aggy, but it's still a good old farmers bike. It's a suzuki 185, an old mobile. Maybe one day I can upgrade myself to a real aggy, can't wait for the day

danv

Likes Dirt
floody said:
-Yamaha DT200 or 220
I think you meant 230 instead of 220 there. There's a pretty big difference between the two. I would actually recommend the 230 as a great first trailbike. The power spread, whilst having lowish overall horsepower (like say lower than my ktm200), has an awesome power spread for beginners. All the power is up top, and it doesn't scare you or bite you unexpectedly, and you have alot of control over the powerband. The only problem with this is that it really terrible right off the bottom. It also has unique but really good handling characteristics. It is a really friendly bike, but also deceptively fast. I bought one for my first 'real' bike, but sold it pretty quickly, as I was probably already ready for a faster bike at the time I bought the DT.

The 200 would be more like the KDX Id say. Its definately a fair bit sportier than 230.

ride_hard199 said:
dont waste your money get a CR 500 straight away
Yes I highly recommend these user friendly motorcycles for beginners.
:twisted: :lol:

Oh yeah, with the Aggies, does anyone know what the deal is about ags in other countries? On the internet I have not found anything at all on yamaha ags in countries other than Australia. Does anyone know if they are even released in onther parts of the world?

floody

Wheel size expert
Yeah I did mean 230, doh!
I got a bit confuddulated with the KDX220...

Umm, with the ag bikes, I'm fairly sure they are Australia only, maybe NZ as well, but the market category is a uniquely aussie one - when Kawasaki made the first "AGi" bike (the one yamaha ripped off) it was designed specifically for Aussie farmers, and only sold in Australia.
I would say the Yamaha AG bikes and Honda's XL based CT farm bikes (not the CT90/CT110, more the CT125) are also aussie only.

Rexy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
descending to ag bike pride heaven

haha ag bike pride walk right this way boys :D
we have ......

a suzuki 1975 tc100 (my bike) in full sick spec, stripped down to basics with tm (suzukis old mxer)forks, and plastics (has disc valves so extremely fast)
suzuki tc 100 (my dads bike)totally stripped down with plastics
ag 175 (in bits)going to do engine up soon :p
a total horde of ct 100/200 bits(2 bikes and a ton of parts)
mt125 elsionore (needs restoration)

previous bikes....
ct 100 postie motor in little honda trailbike frame (with many hand made touches :wink: )
postie 90 motor in suzuki rm 50 frame (this bike totally owned)

ah i love the things especially beating one of my dads friends on his 230 yamaha 4 stroke $4000 bike on my "cheap" suzuki tc 100, going to lancelin and ripping up big dunes and going close to 120 on the flats......
fuck i love the things!

id suggest that you get an older mxer to start out dude, maybe like a 1992 or thereabouts rm or cr 125, cheap and good to start on as well as having jumping capabilities and plenty of power, just take it easy when your learining and dont try to be a hero!
and one other thing always wear a helmet!

lotec

Banned
Rexy said:
always wear a helmet!
anyone who knows me knows i dont believe in this rule for some reason on a pushbike, maybe im too stingy to buy an open face and you get to hot in a fullface 24/7 but on a moto theres no way im not riding without a helmet i aint completly stupid...........yet :?

Instinctual

Likes Bikes
I remember when I used to ride with my old rigid repco, every now and then we would hear dirt bikes off in the distance, then they'd get closer and sometimes they'd come down our trail. I got pushed off the trail by one once, he came so close to me, spitting up dust and rocks in his wake.

As little kids we almost rode in fear of dirt bikers.

This was on the other side of gap creek road from cootha though. You go down to the reserve and from there you crossed the road and you could ride all sorts of trails from there to brookfield or wherever. Can't remember who's land it was but I think we weren't sposed to be there. Back then we hadn't even thought about erosion, it just wasn't an issue yet.

ah good times. :)

danv

Likes Dirt
Griz said:
MY YAMAHA 100 AG BIKE!PRIDE AND JOY
:shock: Thats too shiny to be a REAL ag.
:p

Oh yeah LCC, an 80 or 125 MXer wouldn'y be TOO bad to learn to ride on, but shit in every other departement for a first bike, especially if you are buying, owning (and paying for) it yourself. You want to get something simpley and reliable at first, and learn how it works and how to maintain it. An MX bike at the hands of someone with no mechanical clue won't last very long.

Aldo

Likes Bikes
i did this same thing about 12mths ago and changed to motos
and got a 02 250cc(first bike)
it was awsome but i decided i wanted to start riding tracks so i downgraded the power and got a 03 250f.

if i were you id get the 250f straight up. easy to learn on ,plenty of power on tap, good resale value .
if you get an old bike you'll end up having to buy newer bike later on anyways.
i guess it depends on your riding ability and attitude
i used to race A grade dh in Qld resonably competitively.

buy as new as you can always,IMHO